E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
Symptoms of a bad CCV / Crankcase Ventilation Valve

Anyone experience this?

My car is having an intermittent high pitch / howling noise when accelerating.

I have found this so far:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=613305
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
+1, I'd like to know, too. I used to hear some kind of weird howling noise when accelerating as u mentioned, now I have noisy exhaust so I can't hear that anymore lol...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I've got the beginnings of the same sound...think it's prolly an air leak and it might be from the CCV hose coming off the VC...according to my 'hose stethoscope.'

But, another famous leak is the lower boot off the throttle body...the one with the accordion elbow.

Also, for some reason I'm thinking I've heard that DISAs might whine...but am not positive about this.

Finally, there is evidently a vacuum hose behind console that controls the instant mpg needle and it can whine too. Just read this once, but seemed credible.

At my mileage, I think I have every sound! First I take care of my last sources of vibration, then oil leaks and CCV, and cleaning ICV and TB and replacing that intake boot...and...and ....and...!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
drjuszkiewicz

My Ride: 2001 330i
hey, i am going to do my vcg in a few weeks and i was wondering of i should also do my ccv. I am not sure that there is anything wrong with it, but i am getting the impression that it should be replaced with the cold weather version. I did ask my dealership and the service guy i spoke to sees like one of these replaced a year (not exactly, but that i should not worry about it). I live near boston so i gets pretty cold, and my ccv has never been replaced, my car has 128k miles. Should i do it or is this something i should not worry about.
drjuszkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
ChiMaster

My Ride: 01 330ci, 14 Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjuszkiewicz View Post
hey, i am going to do my vcg in a few weeks and i was wondering of i should also do my ccv. I am not sure that there is anything wrong with it, but i am getting the impression that it should be replaced with the cold weather version. I did ask my dealership and the service guy i spoke to sees like one of these replaced a year (not exactly, but that i should not worry about it). I live near boston so i gets pretty cold, and my ccv has never been replaced, my car has 128k miles. Should i do it or is this something i should not worry about.
A frozen ccv can either blow the VGC or at worst hydrolock the engine.
If you do a lot of short trips (causing condensation under the valve cover not to evaporate) I'd say yes. Also clean out the dipstick tube - according to my dealer there's a redesign.
ChiMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
YOnpds

Any updates guys? Did you resolve your "Howling" issue?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOnpds View Post
Any updates guys? Did you resolve your "Howling" issue?
My ccv hose is replaced and quiet. I did all I said I did and my engine seems perfectly happy.

I'm just picking up the faintest high pitched resonance coming when I apply pressure on the throttle...don't want to think about it...and whatever it is...is years off (maybe 'years' off'...not bothering to check!) and probably nothing I can do about it...cept add some trans. fluid...which I will get around to one of these days...though I think it's fine.

Anyway...don't want to say anything too optimistic about my car out loud. You understand, I'm sure!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
YOnpds

Thanks Doug. Looks like I will be focusing on the CCV next. Just got done with my valve cover gasket. Oil leak resolved =)
Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
YOnpds

Update: I know it been a year, but I finally got a chance to change the CCV with the cold weather package from Bavauto. This actually fixed an additional oil leak after I changed out the valve cover gasket. I also changed out both intake boots. The lower one with the little elbow had a tear in it.

Pros: Oil leak resolved
Cons: Howling noise still there. Seems like the fan is working extra hard when the howling noise appears. I'm not sure. Fan clutch bad?

Note: its not a squeeking or high pitch noise.