E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
aj330ci

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Dropping a cylinder when the car reaches 1/4 tank of gas

Ok, this is a really strange thing that has been happening to my car for the past few months, and just happened last night, so I'm kind of worried.

I drive a 2004 BMW M3.

When my car reaches right around 1/4 tank of gas left, it feels like the car drops a cylinder. Same feeling as like a coil pack going out. The car loses basically all acceleration, and if you try to get it moving, it just spits, sputters, and dies on you.

After I go to the gas station, fill the car up with gas, and let it run for a little while, it works just fine again. I did some reading on the Internet, and I know how the car is behaving is like a coil pack going out, but I doubt that's it since it only happens when the car reaches 1/4 tank of gas left.

I also know the gas gauge isn't wrong because when I stopped and filled it up, I put 12 gallons in on a 16 gallon tank, with the 4 gallons being the 1/4 tank that was left.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be going wrong with the car? The solution right now is to just keep it above 1/2 tank of gas at all times, but that's just until I can get it to the shop.

Thanks for any and all help!
2003 BMW 330CI - Topaz Blue SOLD
aj330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Many Cars
It sounds like it could be a failing fuel pump.

As the fuel level gets lower, it has to work harder to pump the fuel to the engine bay.

Think of it this way. Lets say you were on a 5 story building and there was a bucket of water on the ground level. Imagine trying to suck the water up to your level thru a straw. Now imagine the bucket of water was 6" below your mouth. Much less effort is needed.
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Maybe something simpler? Fuel filter?
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
aj330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@SharkInjectorDirect View Post
It sounds like it could be a failing fuel pump.

As the fuel level gets lower, it has to work harder to pump the fuel to the engine bay.

Think of it this way. Lets say you were on a 5 story building and there was a bucket of water on the ground level. Imagine trying to suck the water up to your level thru a straw. Now imagine the bucket of water was 6" below your mouth. Much less effort is needed.
I was kind of thinking fuel pump as well. Guess all I can do is drive the 2 hours to the dealership, and let them take a look at it. Oh the joys of BMW maintenance, lol!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
This might help you.

Good luck

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=fuel
Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
aj330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Wow AMAZING write-up! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Many Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
Maybe something simpler? Fuel filter?
A fuel filter would most likely exibit issues all the time. It would not really be dependant on the fuel level.

But, it never hurts to change the fuel filter.
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect is offline   Reply With Quote