E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
325ci GreekMan

My Ride: 325ci steel gray
just got a new car 2008 535i and dont know if i want to keep it

So I bought the car on Friday. Its a 2008 535i black saphire metallic color. It has 73000 miles on it. I traded in my 2002 325ci which had 107000 miles on it. I got the 535 for $28000 and they gave me $8000 for my car. The 535i is fully loaded with every option and i love the car. The problem is the push start started having issues a couple days ago it wouldnt start right up it would take a few seconds then start. Second, the car will jerk forward if im at a complete stop and then let go of the brake it will do this somtimes not always.

Tonight i was driving the car and the engine light came on and said engine malfunction reduced power. i did get an extended 3 year warranty on the car and im supposed to bring it in tomorrow to have it all checked out and fixed but now im worried and dont know if i should give it back or even if i can give it back or get something else. These cars have so much crap on them im scared it will continue to have problems. Any advice?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Thats a lot of miles for 28k...
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Raine

My Ride: e39
the e60 / e90 bmw's arent nearly as DIY friendly as the e39 / e46. They are definitely gonna cost more to maintain down the line
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
jlister0

My Ride: 1999 323i
[QUOTE=325ci GreekMan;11405655]So I bought the car on Friday. Its a 2008 535i black saphire metallic color. It has 73000 miles on it. I traded in my 2002 325ci which had 107000 miles on it. I got the 535 for $28000 and they gave me $8000 for my car. The 535i is fully loaded with every option and i love the car. The problem is the push start started having issues a couple days ago it wouldnt start right up it would take a few seconds then start. Second, the car will jerk forward if im at a complete stop and then let go of the brake it will do this somtimes not always.

Tonight i was driving the car and the engine light came on and said engine malfunction reduced power. i did get an extended 3 year warranty on the car and im supposed to bring it in tomorrow to have it all checked out and fixed but now im worried and dont know if i should give it back or even if i can give it back or get something else. These cars have so much crap on them im scared it will continue to have problems. Any advice?[/ i would see if they would take it back and put 100% of the money you spent into another car because it sounds like it is a lemon
jlister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
bmw3.0L

My Ride: Carbon Black M3
Send a message via Yahoo to bmw3.0L
You might want to check for HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failures on those twin turbo engines. Lots of people on E9x board have issues with those on their 335's and 135's. Thats probably causing your issues with long crank at start up, not the push start button.
bmw3.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
325ci GreekMan

has anyone ever tried to "give back" a car they bought? What options do I have?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
325ci GreekMan

dreamliner the kelly blue book value for my car is $32,535 i didnt overpay for the car i got a good deal.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Did you even have the car inspected before you bought it?
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
elanlyfestyle

My Ride: 03 325ci
return it if u can, being just 2 years old with already 73,000 miles on it and electrical issues i would get rid of it as fast as u can. By the way I hate to say it but I think uv'e been had my friend.
elanlyfestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
bmw3.0L

My Ride: Carbon Black M3
Send a message via Yahoo to bmw3.0L
You can trade it in and lose money on it, but you can't just give it back.
bmw3.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ci GreekMan View Post
dreamliner the kelly blue book value for my car is $32,535 i didnt overpay for the car i got a good deal.
I don't know who is right here but just because KBB says that you got a good deal doesn't mean you did. I hope you did some research instead of just looking at the KBB value. It also looks like you brought it from a dealership which automatically means you did not get a good deal.

Quote:
None at all, that's not how buying a car works.

The issues you are describing don't really sound serious at this point, and you have free maintenance. Stop overreacting and chill until you have some actual information to go on (and even once you do, you don't need to pay a cent, so chill again).
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
330Noobie

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
not only high pressure fuel pump problems but lifters go bad on those E60s, ur car has a warranty and anytime u buy a new car it's gona have problems, if u like the car keep it if u don't trade it back to them, they shuld understand that u just bought the car and it has a slew of problems, but u did buy a car with an engine that is fairly new and yea they do have their problems, but as a tech i can tell u the car will run great but it's gona have it's kinks
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
You have the option to enjoy your car for the remaining 27K miles of the extended warranty. During that time you can also try to find a buyer who would pay a decent price so you won't be at huge loss.
You may even decide to keep the car past the 100K mile mark if you can afford to maintain it.

Frequent new car purchases drain the average dirvers' bank account and make car sales people happy. I'd rather stick to my old car and make my mechanic happy.
Megalocnus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
325ci GreekMan

thanx for the words of encouragment. Its nice to know some people on here arent always giving bad news. The car is in excellent condition. There arent any electrical issues. The car starts always its just not the way it should thats going to be fixed. The engine light coming on could be anything but again thats being fixed. I bought 3 cars from this dealership and they are pretty good with taking care of their customers. I did my research the car had only 1 owner who did mostly highway miles and it was bought and serviced from this dealership. i really love the car and i bought the extended warranty on it for the sole reason that it is a bmw and i know the maintenance on it if you dont have one.

So im gonna see what i can do tomorrow i already told them look i bought the car a few days ago im not happy with the problems im having i want everything looked at and fixed and they agreed and got me a loaner. so its not like their not complying with me and what i want..Im just freaked out with all the bells and whistles of this car and the hpfp issues im hearing about and if its gonna be worth it to keep it or possibly get something else. idk 330noobie u said ur a tech for bmw? What do you think i should do?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
apstndp

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
i bought my 02 330 certified series way back which came with 5 days return policy. Anyway the day i was suppose to pick up my car, i noticed the windshield was chipped from stone and the trunk was slighly scratched. so I told them i want these fixed and the sale person said no problem and as the manager was not in, call him and bring it back in a day or two. day or two went by and i called the manger and told the story, and he said, how would he know if i didn't do it myself. I explained to him that i showed it to sales guy and he wrote it in the papers for dealership. he was trying to dodge the problem with BS. so i drove the car for 4 days and on 5th day i drove to dealership and asked for manager, and they said he is not in but the sales guy was. so walked up to him and handed him the keys and said I am returning the car as per your certified series satisfaction. he asked why? and i said your manager is an idiot and I want my money back. 2 min later, manager was on the phone with me and resolved all the issues and was kissing my ass.
apstndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
myksbmw

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
How is the power compared to the E46?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
325ci GreekMan

i dont want to return the car but if i can i guess i would...i doubt they have that policy though
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
325ci GreekMan

the 535i blows the e46 out of the water with power and everything else lol. it drives like a beast and yet its elegant lol. idk well see tomorrow. they have a white 335i for the same price i bought the 535i for and it has 55000 miles on it and is certified. maybe ill ask to trade for that?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #19
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Take it back and offer them $7K for your ex-E46

Good luck with whichever avenue you go down man
Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #20
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
The only thing I can think of is you somehow pull out the lemon law on them or whatever, providing they are a dealership... you might have a foot to stand on because of the whole "you just brought it and now all this crap has happened to it" but thats only going to be if they can't fit the problem.

You might might might (almost 100% unlikely and if you do you'll probably have to cover all the costs involved) be able to trade it for that 335i but in all honesty do you really want to? It sucks that you're already having second thoughts about the car but the 535i is a great car with the twin turbo, the E60 is a very good model, and most of the people posting about it on here don't know what they're talking about. Don't get frightened off, if you think you got a good deal then thats all that matters. The dealership is going to be footing the bill for all the repairs for the next couple of years, and in all honesty that should be all that matters. You will probably be able to move the car later down the line for some decent coin as long as you don't put another 100k on it until then. They have to fix all your issues or you can take it back, but you can't just take it back.

Last edited by Acarder; 03-03-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote