E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #41
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
get ebay headers for 150 bucks and keep thestock exhaust on... youll get more power than just putting on a cat back.... it wont be loud at all until your at WOT
can't find headers for M56 engine . If you or anyone in here has an idea or know any performance headers that will do for M56, please let me know.
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #42
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
wait till i get my car back from the shop, i'm gonna install some ebay headers i got a few weeks ago if you can wait till i do the install (few days) i might have got the wrong one and you can get mine for cheap cause i'll be buying another i'm almost 100% sure headers will work the exhaust is the same you just have a lower emissions motor has nothing to do with the exhaust manifold. just find out what the stock exhaust manifold part number is and see which set you need. i'll keep ya posted on my headers
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #43
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
exactly just like on our cars have a valve in the exhaust that is closed during idle and up to a certain point only to reduce exhaust noise in the cabin. does nothing for performance lol
lol except you're wrong, go pick up a physics book. I'm not talking about exhaust valves, I'm talking about the diameter of the pipe with respect to pressure and velocity. I believe the z06 has this feature too.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #44
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci00782 View Post
lol except you're wrong, go pick up a physics book. I'm not talking about exhaust valves, I'm talking about the diameter of the pipe with respect to pressure and velocity. I believe the z06 has this feature too.
Are you sure it's not ferrari?
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #45
IrocThe325i

My Ride: chirps when I turn
Flow = top end power. Back pressure = low end toqrue... usually. You want to get the best of both worlds. Also like someone mentioned the best way to get gains from exhaust is to make sure it is tuned to the rpm band that the engine uses the best.

M56 motors arent super performers anyway. If u want any noticable power get cams and a tune. Or a supercharger : ). Then get an exhaust.

I heard that even the air boxes/intakes on our BMWs are engineered so well that aftermarket intakes dont make a difference either. GO BMW
IrocThe325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #46
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocThe325i View Post
Flow = top end power. Back pressure = low end toqrue... usually. You want to get the best of both worlds. Also like someone mentioned the best way to get gains from exhaust is to make sure it is tuned to the rpm band that the engine uses the best.

M56 motors arent super performers anyway. If u want any noticable power get cams and a tune. Or a supercharger : ). Then get an exhaust.

I heard that even the air boxes/intakes on our BMWs are engineered so well that aftermarket intakes dont make a difference either. GO BMW
You are an flipping ****, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't post in this thread again.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #47
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
Quote:
Flow = top end power. Back pressure = low end toqrue... usually.
Explain to me how backpressure helps low end torque?

If you were to say that smaller exhaust pipes create more low end torque but also result in less power at high rpms due to increased backpressure, I would buy that.
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:16 AM   #48
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post

If you were to say that smaller exhaust pipes create more low end torque but also result in less power at high rpms due to increased backpressure, I would buy that.
Listen to this man. He is very smart.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #49
B33MER

My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveringuy View Post

CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,

B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #50
IrocThe325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
You are an flipping ****, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't post in this thread again.
WHY IM JUST AGREEING WITH YOU!?... i think.

"If you were to say that smaller exhaust pipes create more low end torque but also result in less power at high rpms due to increased backpressure, I would buy that."

Yeh of course. I should have specified why the backpressure was being caused. If theres a potato in your tailpipe i dont think ull be making more toqure

Last edited by IrocThe325i; 02-21-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #51
Iceman00

Quote:

Completely false, read the link I posted, with analysis and dynos.

Backpressure is never good.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #52
IrocThe325i

i shall read : )
And i was wondering if u knew the best length from headers to put the y-pipe... I think im going to make a full custom cat-back but i want to do it with these concepts that u've brought up.

2" from headers to y-pipe into single 3" with two resonators and a muffler (not sure what kinda yet)...

Nevermind you said closests to the collectors.... ok.

Last edited by IrocThe325i; 02-21-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #53
Iceman00

Quote:
i shall read : )
And i was wondering if u knew the best length from headers to put the y-pipe... I think im going to make a full custom cat-back but i want to do it with these concepts that u've brought up.

2" from headers to y-pipe into single 3" with two resonators and a muffler (not sure what kinda yet)...

Nevermind you said closests to the collectors.... ok.
Yes, unless you have the resources to test for me the optimal distance from the headers
Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #54
eddiewolfgang

My Ride: 325i sharked cai
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
wait till i get my car back from the shop, i'm gonna install some ebay headers i got a few weeks ago if you can wait till i do the install (few days) i might have got the wrong one and you can get mine for cheap cause i'll be buying another i'm almost 100% sure headers will work the exhaust is the same you just have a lower emissions motor has nothing to do with the exhaust manifold. just find out what the stock exhaust manifold part number is and see which set you need. i'll keep ya posted on my headers
hey that would be awesome man, i don't know if anyone has ever done that with an M56, but if you happen to be that guy, i'd love to know how it worked. Good luck keep us posted
eddiewolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #55
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
lol no i drive a 330xi with a m54 you need to check the stock part number for your exhaust manifold to see what if anything will work. you could even call bmw
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #56
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
I have Headers and the Magnaflow "catback" and i actually felt something after the i put on the Magnaflow.....i can't say how much but something but this setup is sorta loud.

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo.
'03 M3 [Dinan axle back Muffler][BMW Performance Strut bar][Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser]
'11 BMW s1000rr Fully loaded Bone stock
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote