E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Race gas

can I run higher octane fuel in my 01 330xi? like maybe a mix of 110/93 in a 50/50 ratio or maybe a less then 50/50 anyone?

Last edited by xixixi; 03-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
AdamBath
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 3,086
My Ride: E30
What for? It wouldn't do you much good unless you're extremely modified...
__________________
AdamBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
no damage to motor? or anything?

Last edited by xixixi; 03-04-2010 at 11:55 AM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
95blkmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 204
My Ride: 00 BMW 328i
Send a message via AIM to 95blkmax
Wont cause any damage to the motor but it wont make a difference really. Only 2 reasons to use that higher octaine gas- to ward off pre-ignition (due to several reasons but include high compression pressures from say boost, or a 12.5:1 NA build) or to allow you to run a very advanced ignition timing map.
__________________

Hi, my name is 95BlkMax, and I am a Boostaholic
"DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!!" O_o!
95blkmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
damn so zero gains from the 110/93 mix i just can't believe that. i realize what it is used for i just figured i could get a lil gain with the mix.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
damn so zero gains from the 110/93 mix i just can't believe that. i realize what it is used for i just figured i could get a lil gain with the mix.
Octain is an anti knock index rating, not an energy index rating!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
TR_MS3
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 313
My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i6spd View Post
octain is an anti knock index rating, not an energy index rating!
qft
TR_MS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
ok thats kinda what i was thinking what about fuels that have more 02 in em? i'm just here for info nothing more
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
The close to this thread should be, WITHOUT octane adaptive software, run the LOWEST octane that does not knock!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
nickr519
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 419
My Ride: ZX-10R, Ram 2500
I don't know if that's necessarily the best advice, could be slightly misleading but in the context of a stock 3er I suppose its appropriate
__________________
'99 323i - totalled
'87 supra - sold
'90 300zx - sold
'01 GSX-R600 - sold
'97 Ram 2500
'06 ZX-10R
nickr519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
The close to this thread should be, WITHOUT octane adaptive software, run the LOWEST octane that does not knock!
so you just run cheap gas in your ride right? reg unleaded won;t cause knock... bmw suggest 93 any more info that i could gain on this subject? info i'm seeking would not be in your own words maybe a web page link etc? etc? i'm gonna run 110/93 50/50 mix today i'll let ya know if i FEEL any difference. thanks for your input
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
so you just run cheap gas in your ride right? reg unleaded won;t cause knock... bmw suggest 93 any more info that i could gain on this subject? info i'm seeking would not be in your own words maybe a web page link etc? etc? i'm gonna run 110/93 50/50 mix today i'll let ya know if i FEEL any difference. thanks for your input
I never, ever use any cheap gas! BP Ultimate or Shell V-power is all I EVER put in my tank. I am sure however, that there are some E46s on the road that have enough ring and valve/valve seat wear that dropping down to a GOOD (read; NOT CHEAP) mid-grade fuel, would not cause any pre-ignition due to lower compression that the worn rings and valves cause.
Feeling a difference means<nothing, placebo effect! Higher octane has been proven to provide NO increase in hp/tq in numerous dyno tests!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
i was being sarcastic about the cheap gas i guess what i'm wondering is how far can the vanos go? or does it hit a peak limit at a certain octane level? say it's 93 and anything above does nothing cause it can't adjust the timing past a certain point? maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about, i'm an auto body tech far from a mechanic. ??? my train of thought was coming from.. my car runs considerably better on 93 then low grade gas so i figure maybe it will run better on even higher?
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
can I run higher octane fuel in my 01 330xi? like maybe a mix of 110/93 in a 50/50 ratio or maybe a less then 50/50 anyone?
If you run race gas make sure it's unleaded or it'll degrade your O2 sensors. Sunoco has 100 octane at the pump at some select locations. You won't get the benefit of a higher octane (better ignition timings = more power) until you run about a tank of it through the engine while driving aggressively so any stored knock adaptation is cleared out (unfortunately the ECU takes its time).

However be aware that, in theory, you'll get more power if you run 93 without knocking because it's less diluted than 100: there's more explosion in it.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 03-04-2010 at 01:34 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Bimmerci330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Milford, CT
Posts: 263
My Ride: 02 330CI 3 Pedals :)
Send a message via AIM to Bimmerci330
i read somewhere that these cars only run at peak HP on 99 octane?
__________________
Bimmerci330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,957
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
i was being sarcastic about the cheap gas i guess what i'm wondering is how far can the vanos go? or does it hit a peak limit at a certain octane level? say it's 93 and anything above does nothing cause it can't adjust the timing past a certain point? maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about, i'm an auto body tech far from a mechanic. ??? my train of thought was coming from.. my car runs considerably better on 93 then low grade gas so i figure maybe it will run better on even higher?
There's a sweet spot with regard to octane for every engine combination. In general, you need to look at the MON (Motor Octane Number) when comparing fuels, as that's what race fuel is most often designed around.

On an N/A engine with under 11:1 compression, you really aren't going to see gains from octane above 95 MON.

What you will see with most race fuels, is a small gain in HP due to the quality of the fuel's vaporization and burn characteristics.

If you are comfortable spending 4 times the cost of regular pump fuel for say VP Streetblaze 99 to get an additional 3rwhp....go ahead and use it.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
mrshelley
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 914
My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
There's a sweet spot with regard to octane for every engine combination. In general, you need to look at the MON (Motor Octane Number) when comparing fuels, as that's what race fuel is most often designed around.

On an N/A engine with under 11:1 compression, you really aren't going to see gains from octane above 95 MON.

What you will see with most race fuels, is a small gain in HP due to the quality of the fuel's vaporization and burn characteristics.

If you are comfortable spending 4 times the cost of regular pump fuel for say VP Streetblaze 99 to get an additional 3rwhp....go ahead and use it.
Pretty much on target. I run a stock ECU with the Shark Injector and a stock 330 engine in Continental. We have to run Sunoco GTX 260 as Grand-Am requires us to do so. I have dynoed the engine with regular old Sunoco 94 from the pump and what I have to use for Continental. It's around a 3 hp advantage using the GTX 260 at the rear wheels.

The GTX 260 costs me $6.50/gallon. I burn around 100 gallons for a race weekend and run around 12 races per year. As you can see, that 3 hp benefit is pretty expensive.

Here are the specs:
http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...noco260GTX.htm
__________________
mrshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #18
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
However be aware that, in theory, you'll get more power if you run 93 without knocking because it's less diluted than 100: there's more explosion in it.
FWIW I've heard this statement^ made in regard to FI - not sure if it applies to NA.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
thanks everyone for the info this was exactly what i was looking for
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use