E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2002, 06:39 PM   #1
penpen2015

My Ride: 325Ci/335i
Recaro SPG and Airbag Sensor

I have been looking around this forum and there seems to be a number of people who have installed aftermarket seats into their car. I was wondering if anyone has installed a racing SHELL (Sparo Evo's or Recaro SPG's) into their car and also got the airbag sensor installed. I was talking to a mechanic down in Canoga Park earlier today and he insisted that a) The airbag sensor could not be installed if a Recaro SPG was installed and b) the "pyrotechnics" which engage the window airbags and lock the factory seatbelts would have to be disabled. Although the seats are too wide for me and I was planning on getting racing shells, if I will lose the airbag and seatbelt sensors, I would probably just tough it out with the factory seats. Any help would be appreciated.
penpen2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
welcome to the board Penpen!

unfortunately I can't answer your question, but perhaps Chase can assist, or one of the other Fanatics...

good luck and again, welcome to your new home!

B
Old 07-05-2002, 09:11 PM   #3
UltimateOne
Fanatics vs. E46 DTM 4evar

My Ride: 15 ISM WRX
Send a message via AIM to UltimateOne
Try Private Messaging or Emailing Full Time Hit Man, he knows a bunch on the seats and the sensors.
Good Luck
UltimateOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:28 PM   #4
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
I think you should get the seat belt and air bag sensor to the Recaro SPG seats. Cause without that, your passenger side air bag won't deploy. But the driver side, no need air bag sensor, just hook it up with the factory seat belt will do. Cause the driver side air bag will deploy for sure. I don't know why you don't want that feature, but I will transfer everything to the SPG seats.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 12:59 AM   #5
JK3.0

My Ride: Z3
http://www.apexcone.com/Recaros/Recaros.html

Here is some info on the mat sensor etc..
JK3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 03:44 AM   #6
penpen2015

Thanks for the info guys.
FTHM: I wanted the feature, I just wasn't sure what the deal was with the airbags and such. Do you drive around with your airbag light on? Or was that something that by resetting the electrical at the dealership would fix?
Old 07-06-2002, 04:00 AM   #7
penpen2015

Oh and does the mat sensor only exist for the passenger side? Or is it installed on both? Thanks
Old 07-06-2002, 04:01 AM   #8
penpen2015

One more thing. i am only swapping out the driver side. I figure that my passengers would probably appreciate being in a real seat more than in a racing shell.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:22 AM   #9
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
You welcome, glad that I can help. You just need it for the passenger side. Driver side, no need for mat senor, because in accident, the airbag will deploy if the impact is great enough to set off the sensor. I have Recaro for the passenger side as well, and I have everything transfer, airbag module, seat belt. And went to the dealer and just buy the mat sensor, which is pretty cheap. Then, installed on the passenger seat. After that, went back to the dealer to clear the airbag warning light. And things will be working again.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 08:10 PM   #10
penpen2015

Do you think I should go for a Pole Position or an SPG? Although the SPG is slightly more narrow I wonder if it would be significantly less comfortable than the Pole Position. Any sitting experience? Price is a little less than an SPG too... SPG worth it??
Old 07-08-2002, 10:26 PM   #11
Amir

My Ride: shoes
The SPG is a good seat if you are about 160 lbs, anymore and it will be very very uncomfortable. I'd buy the pole positions if your car was a daily driver. It can accomodate a driver up to 6'3 or 6'4 and 240 lbs.
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 11:19 PM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally posted by B
welcome to the board Penpen!

unfortunately I can't answer your question, but perhaps Chase can assist, or one of the other Fanatics...

good luck and again, welcome to your new home!

B
Not to go OT...but...clear signs of a post whore...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote