E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
bastard101

My Ride: 01 M3
E46 M3 Rear Bumper Sag Fix: Please Help! (with Pics)

Just spent the last 6hrs trying to install these brackets to fix the rear bumper sag with no luck!

Attached are some photos (sorry for the quality) but I have no idea where to place them or how to install them once I remove the inner fender guard. Can anyone help?

This is very frustrating and with your help, maybe there is a simple solution. I appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Part Numbers:

Left Bracket- 51127896162, Right Bracket- 51127896161

Real OEM Link: Part #20
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=51&fg=15

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img309.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	308342   Click image for larger version

Name:	img314.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	308343   Click image for larger version

Name:	img312.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	308344   Click image for larger version

Name:	img324.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	308345  

Click image for larger version

Name:	img325.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	308346   Click image for larger version

Name:	img327.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	308347  

Last edited by bastard101; 03-27-2009 at 02:04 PM.
bastard101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Cale46m3

My Ride: '04 M3
Just found this thread based on the one from last summer...

I've noticed many M3's with this problem but mine was fine until some jack-hole rear ended me March '08. The body shop that fixed my car was suppose to be the best around the South Puget Sound with high end vehicles (Paramount Centre) and they gave me the same 'it's normal' runaround. My gap is now about like yours. I've taken it back several times but they are using different clips, that don't seem to be beefy enough, between the bumper cover and rear quarter panel.

I'll take my car back in, have them get these parts and install... I'll try to get some pics & description on how it's done, but my confidence in these guys is limited. I may be doing it myself & would also like a DIY description from Philly or somebody else - thanks!
Cale46m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
e popa

My Ride: M3,Sc323ci,Ml320
That hook part looks like it must go around a bolt or something

AW M3
Matte Black CSL's,gills & grills
brembos, Dinan exhaust
Alacantra wheel
OEM CSL trunk,VCSL roof,bumper,diffuser
e popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
mthreezycrazy

My Ride: ///M3
i have this problem on mine too!

mthreezycrazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
bozak23

My Ride: e46 M3
I bought those brackets a little while back hoping to 'tighten' up my bumper...I was unsuccsessful at best and decided to just deal with it. My car is 5-6 yrs. old, its body settle...

I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but from my understanding this is a common 'problem' on these cars.

If you come up with some break through please let us know.
bozak23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
rby330ibmw

My Ride: e46///M3
pic #5 is close, but youre holding the clip upside down, so flip it around and bring it all the way to the right [in the pic] and there should be a bolt to mount the hooked part to. the other end of the clip will attach to the plastic of the bumper. i know this cuz i just did it on my car!!

_Hello and Welcome_
rby330ibmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
bastard101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rby330ibmw View Post
pic #5 is close, but youre holding the clip upside down, so flip it around and bring it all the way to the right [in the pic] and there should be a bolt to mount the hooked part to. the other end of the clip will attach to the plastic of the bumper. i know this cuz i just did it on my car!!
Thanks for all your help guys, rby330ibmw, I do not have a bolt to fix the position of the hook if I follow your advice. Looking into the inside of my fender, there are not bolts or hooks to fix the position of the clip. I got another response from Philly_Swedem from another forumn, check it out, he has pics:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...87#post3831387

I appreciate all your help!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
rby330ibmw

My Ride: e46///M3
ill have to post a pic to show you what im talkking about.

_Hello and Welcome_
rby330ibmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Philly_Sweden

My Ride: M3 -04 Titansilber
Here you go

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8351310

Well, there's no bolts om the E46 M3 (not on mine anyways)

The clip holds on to the bumper AND fender and the hook rests inside the fender. That's how we did it on mine and its solid as a rock!

Good luck!

www.garaget.org/philly
Philly_Sweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Just took my car out from winter storage for the year and I got enough issues with it (Low Coolant, Low Washer Fluid, Head Lamp Corner Bulbs out, Oil Change Due, Wiper Blades fried, and Clear Coat peeling off the roof-literally). Fixed everything so far today except the paint and wiper blades.

It's like you fix one or two things and five things go wrong.

Anyhow I noticed my bumpers are sagging at the creases and it seems I can fit my fingers in between the bumpers and fenders.

I vaguely recall a DIY for replacing the bumper brackets when adding M3 replica bumpers and also tightening up brackets or replacing them to fix sagging bumpers but I cannot find any info on that.

At this point I don't even know how to remove the bumpers much less tighten them up.

Any ideas?

Here is my car today:

And here is what I want for my car!

Notice the almost seamless seam on this 2003 330xi:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
bastard101

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Just took my car out from winter storage for the year and I got enough issues with it (Low Coolant, Low Washer Fluid, Head Lamp Corner Bulbs out, Oil Change Due, Wiper Blades fried, and Clear Coat peeling off the roof-literally). Fixed everything so far today except the paint and wiper blades.

It's like you fix one or two things and five things go wrong.

Anyhow I noticed my bumpers are sagging at the creases and it seems I can fit my fingers in between the bumpers and fenders.

I vaguely recall a DIY for replacing the bumper brackets when adding M3 replica bumpers and also tightening up brackets or replacing them to fix sagging bumpers but I cannot find any info on that.

At this point I don't even know how to remove the bumpers much less tighten them up.

Any ideas?

Here is my car today:

And here is what I want for my car!

Notice the almost seamless seam on this 2003 330xi:

I have updated my posts here.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=257510

You can see more pics and see how I installed them. I advise getting the parts that I listed and installing the same clips onto your front bumper in the same manner I installed them on the rear.

Tags
bracket, bumper, bumper sag, diy, gap