E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
COPS: Sir, we received a complaint that you might be cooking meth.

MVRK10256: Nope, just powdercoating car parts.

COPS: Yeah, likely story. We've heard that excuse a million times. We weren't born yesterday.

MVRK10256: Seriously, you guys want red calipers for those new Hemi chargers you bought with my tuition money?

COPS: well now that you mentioned it ya we would. i dont think there is a problem here. see you on satuday.
corrected.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Haha...back on topic.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #23
mvrk10256

there has got to be someone on here that has powder coating experience.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #24
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
bored
I powder coat all the time. I use a toaster oven when I do my stuff cause id ont have an oven yet. If you can hook up the power to an oven, cause the shits toxic cant use the one in our kitchen, you can get a light curing system.

Its a pain in the ass cause dust gets everywhere but its not hard at all.

Make sure you get a compressor with dual tanks so when one runs flat they can just swithc over to the other to not interupt spray. Useful for painting too, think ahead when you buy your stuff. And dont cheap out with CL except for the oven.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
I powder coat all the time. I use a toaster oven when I do my stuff cause id ont have an oven yet. If you can hook up the power to an oven, cause the shits toxic cant use the one in our kitchen, you can get a light curing system.

Its a pain in the ass cause dust gets everywhere but its not hard at all.

Make sure you get a compressor with dual tanks so when one runs flat they can just swithc over to the other to not interupt spray. Useful for painting too, think ahead when you buy your stuff. And dont cheap out with CL except for the oven.
unfortunatly a toaster over will not fit a wheel

since i am doing this outside i do not think dust will be a problem. I fell that a cheap compressor should be ok. we are not powdercoating a bunch of stuff all the time

a question though?

can you spray something, leave it for a bit while the compressor is recharging?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #26
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
unfortunatly a toaster over will not fit a wheel

since i am doing this outside i do not think dust will be a problem. I fell that a cheap compressor should be ok. we are not powdercoating a bunch of stuff all the time

a question though?

can you spray something, leave it for a bit while the compressor is recharging?
Outside is no good. The reason is because the powder will get blown away. Spraying the powder on it ends up blowing most of it off. There is a skill involved unless you want to waste all your powder, seriously. Theres a length of about 8-10 inches somewhere in between there any closer than that ideal length im talking by a centimeter to close or to far and its either nto going to stick AT ALL or it blows off what you just put on.

Theoretically you could let it recharge but your going to have to be a statue while it does recharge cause when you put the piece down the powder will fall off not all but enough to be like WTF and whatever you put it down on will leave a mark in that spot.

The dual tanks are worth it. I wasn't telling you that stuff for no reason. Your going to want to shoot yourself with all the PITA stuff that can go wrong. The area to cheap out on is the oven which can be a good CL find. However one problem is getting power to an electric range. You cant plug an oven into a normal house hold outlet. And most people didn't put an outdoor kitchen oven outlet in there patio plans when building there homes. I agree with you that they should but we dont get that lucky.

I feel you on the not fitting a wheel thing. That was originally what i intended to do and the toaster oven was more for practice and getting the skill down, while on oven search. Its not easy as pie but if you can paint a car or simply use spray paint WELL as in your can control is on the leave of a aspiring graffiti artist powder caoting is for you. My compressor was under 200 bucks. Has dual tanks and can run a HVLP gun for later use and my powder coating stuff.

Dont cheap out on the compressor. Cheat out eastwood.com. Thats where most of my stuff came from.

At first I thought i would make some money hooking everyone up on the forum. Just a little extra money for beer on the weekends not like im gunna quit my job money. Its alright, its really not worth buying all the stuff unless you intend to use it alot on your personal stuff. I paintball so theres money and doing my guns is mad fun.

Do it right the first time and think toward the future because you can dual purpose a ton of equipment and spend a little more now and say get a good compressor and itll be awesome later when you dont have to get a new one cause it broke or it doesn't meet the spec for your next project.

If you just want your wheels done its better to send them to me (if i could do wheels) or someone who has the kit. Unless your gunna do everything metal in your house like me including my mothers now green pots and pans. Its really a waste of money.

A replacement for the oven idea is the light curing system sold by eastwood. That can get you some wheels done. Know that in your garage or the tent you pitch up powder will be everywhere.

I just went through this whole ordeal like you are doing now so im just trying to gvie you a heads up. Heres a list of what youll need.

Powder kit
Powders
Curing system (toaster oven for small things, oven or light curing system)
Air compressor
Air pressure Regulator
Air hose

I think thats it. Oh and some scrap metal / tools / your mothers kitchen ware. to practice.

Cheers and any questions let me know.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
mvrk10256

Where are you located?

anyway tis is the type of information i needed, knew this site wouldn't let me down.

BTW you can totally get a free oven by calling SEARS or likewise basically the ones they remove from houses are sent to a scrapper so you can get one free if you ask.

i was going to buy a splitter to split the plug that runs to the dryer and run an extension cord off to the balcony. I will do a bit more research, but it seems that this project may be too much for a balcony to handle.

guess i just need to find someone local that i can split with that has a house.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
I will do a bit more research, but it seems that this project may be too much for a balcony to handle.

Yes indeed. Between the noise of the compressor (which is a lot more than you're assuming, it seems) and the dust (which will get you a LOT of ngative attention from your neighbors), you simply can't be doing this on your dorm patio. If you can beg, borrow or steal a garage, you can set this thing up correctly, and build a spray booth with tarps and PVC, and "do it right". GL!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
Yes indeed. Between the noise of the compressor (which is a lot more than you're assuming, it seems) and the dust (which will get you a LOT of ngative attention from your neighbors), you simply can't be doing this on your dorm patio. If you can beg, borrow or steal a garage, you can set this thing up correctly, and build a spray booth with tarps and PVC, and "do it right". GL!
sometimes it almost makes the $200 a month rent not worth it.....

but then i snap back to reality.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #30
small_m

My Ride: 2002 325xit
I have a powder coating kit in my garage. Just bought a floor standing sand blaster (harbor frieght $300). I have a standard kitchen oven and i can fit a 15-16" wheel in it, a 17 would fit but the door would be cracked open a little. The hardest part about powder coating is spraying the powder on and moving it to the oven without the part touching anything or dropping any powder. It can be a real pain to hang parts in the oven while its hot and what not. I think its unrealistic to have a kit like this at home. I have a 60 gallon 220v air compressor and it will run 100% when i sand blast. Anything smaller wouldnt be good enough to make a sand blaster worth while.
Powder coating is loud, messy and needs a decent amount of space! Not sure how effective it would be in an aptment or house....
small_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #31
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by small_m View Post
I have a powder coating kit in my garage. Just bought a floor standing sand blaster (harbor frieght $300). I have a standard kitchen oven and i can fit a 15-16" wheel in it, a 17 would fit but the door would be cracked open a little. The hardest part about powder coating is spraying the powder on and moving it to the oven without the part touching anything or dropping any powder. It can be a real pain to hang parts in the oven while its hot and what not. I think its unrealistic to have a kit like this at home. I have a 60 gallon 220v air compressor and it will run 100% when i sand blast. Anything smaller wouldnt be good enough to make a sand blaster worth while.
Powder coating is loud, messy and needs a decent amount of space! Not sure how effective it would be in an aptment or house....

thank you for trashing my hopes and dreams. jk.

but see this is why we ask first and purchase second.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #32
rEid46_323

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
thanks so much guys for all the great input. may keep us from going on an adventure that ends horribly... although when i powder coated my brake drums on a 68 it didnt seems to be that big of a deal or a mess. when the drums were charged with electricity, mostly all of the powder stuck to it. and the static charge that was left when the clips were removed held the powder on there. im pretty sure if ur part is stripped down to the bare alloy and is charged properly the powder clings fine. as it did for me. and any that fell to the shop floor was swept away easily...

we should have 2 220v plugs in our new apartment... one for the stove and one for the dryer. tap one and run an extension cord to the porch closet for the oven? (our porch closet will be large enought to fit the standard electric oven. but if not we were thinking of building a hot box to put on top of the stove and bake stuff in.

a small compressor isn't that loud, could be passed off as a vacuum, but forreals this is a college apartment, people do loud weird sh1t all the time. the girls that play fight club above us wont mind cuz they are always stomping around and wrestling on the floor... lol. but seriously who will give a **** if we run a compressor for a half hour once in a while?

the sandblasting is going to be too difficult... need larger compressor and the box we would build would be sort of complicated. hows about regular old sand paper and maybe some sanding attachments for a power drill??? or maybe just buy stripping chemicals???

rEid46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
mvrk10256

ya we would probably be better off investing in a power drill attachement for the sanding. anyway its a long time till the summer, so we got time to figure this out.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #34
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Where are you located?

anyway tis is the type of information i needed, knew this site wouldn't let me down.

BTW you can totally get a free oven by calling SEARS or likewise basically the ones they remove from houses are sent to a scrapper so you can get one free if you ask.

i was going to buy a splitter to split the plug that runs to the dryer and run an extension cord off to the balcony. I will do a bit more research, but it seems that this project may be too much for a balcony to handle.

Unfortunatly in connecticut. I like your sears idea, I called a couple places for that method and it was pretty well lined up but then the wiring was the issue. The lighting system is really the best way to go.

One thing I forgot to mention though is the sand blasting. Which is a ***** to pay for and make your money back. You'd need to do like 10 sets of wheels to make you cash back. Sand blasting is very important for things like wheels. And multiple coats and a bunch of clear coats are needed so people dont complain about the rock chips. Typically the stuff holds up pretty well but its no where near bullet proof.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEid46_323 View Post
thanks so much guys for all the great input. may keep us from going on an adventure that ends horribly... although when i powder coated my brake drums on a 68 it didnt seems to be that big of a deal or a mess. when the drums were charged with electricity, mostly all of the powder stuck to it. and the static charge that was left when the clips were removed held the powder on there. im pretty sure if ur part is stripped down to the bare alloy and is charged properly the powder clings fine. as it did for me. and any that fell to the shop floor was swept away easily...

we should have 2 220v plugs in our new apartment... one for the stove and one for the dryer. tap one and run an extension cord to the porch closet for the oven? (our porch closet will be large enought to fit the standard electric oven. but if not we were thinking of building a hot box to put on top of the stove and bake stuff in.

a small compressor isn't that loud, could be passed off as a vacuum, but forreals this is a college apartment, people do loud weird sh1t all the time. the girls that play fight club above us wont mind cuz they are always stomping around and wrestling on the floor... lol. but seriously who will give a **** if we run a compressor for a half hour once in a while?

the sandblasting is going to be too difficult... need larger compressor and the box we would build would be sort of complicated. hows about regular old sand paper and maybe some sanding attachments for a power drill??? or maybe just buy stripping chemicals???

I must join this fight club. You breaking the first 2 rules though.

Its not bad if you do it correctly but the problem is you need alot of equip to do it right. Bare alloy works when but realistically my BMW has just about nothing that I would want coated that is bare alloy. Maybe some rice rockets but i mean the sand blastin is really the worst part.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #36
mvrk10256

Quote:
Unfortunatly in connecticut. I like your sears idea, I called a couple places for that method and it was pretty well lined up but then the wiring was the issue. The lighting system is really the best way to go.

One thing I forgot to mention though is the sand blasting. Which is a ***** to pay for and make your money back. You'd need to do like 10 sets of wheels to make you cash back. Sand blasting is very important for things like wheels. And multiple coats and a bunch of clear coats are needed so people dont complain about the rock chips. Typically the stuff holds up pretty well but its no where near bullet proof.
Quote:
I must join this fight club. You breaking the first 2 rules though.

Its not bad if you do it correctly but the problem is you need alot of equip to do it right. Bare alloy works when but realistically my BMW has just about nothing that I would want coated that is bare alloy. Maybe some rice rockets but i mean the sand blastin is really the worst part.

thanks for all your help man. I think we are gonna end up passing on this idea. probably just hand sand my wheels, refinish any curb, and spray them b1tches down with spray paint color and about 10 coats of clear.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #37
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
thanks for all your help man. I think we are gonna end up passing on this idea. probably just hand sand my wheels, refinish any curb, and spray them b1tches down with spray paint color and about 10 coats of clear.

harbor freight is selling a blast cabinet for $99 if you want to check that out.
http://parkinglot.harborfreightusa.c...pe=RET&simple=

and heres a diy for the wheel refinishing by hand that i did:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...071&highlight=

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 03-12-2010 at 05:26 PM.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #38
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
I mean I dont want to discourage you but its a all or nothing type deal. If you can find like 5 people who want there rims done. You can probably hit profit zone there. Its like 30-40 bucks in material to do a set of 4 wheels. If you charged like 200 (or 50 a wheel). I mean thats a G

This lighting system can cure wheels for $340

http://www.eastwood.com/infra-red-po...800-watts.html

Or

For 530 you get the gun and curing lamps. Now you just need a compressor and air pressure regulator.

http://www.eastwood.com/ir-cure-syst...tcoat-gun.html

So all in all its doable man. If you have the business that is it can be profitable. All im saying is dont half ass it cause you'll regret it.

If you sign up on one of those japenese forusm like ricerburners dot com youll probably have enough profit to fund an e90 M3. And your stock of powder will be infinite of every color.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #39
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
harbor freight is selling a blast cabinet for $99 if you want to check that out.
http://parkinglot.harborfreightusa.c...pe=RET&simple=

and heres a diy for the wheel refinishing by hand that i did:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...071&highlight=
lol i have that DIY subbed. i am basically going to do the same exact thing this summer. but i am going to have to rotate, one wheel at a time. lol

Quote:
I mean I dont want to discourage you but its a all or nothing type deal. If you can find like 5 people who want there rims done. You can probably hit profit zone there. Its like 30-40 bucks in material to do a set of 4 wheels. If you charged like 200 (or 50 a wheel). I mean thats a G

This lighting system can cure wheels for $340

http://www.eastwood.com/infra-red-po...800-watts.html

Or

For 530 you get the gun and curing lamps. Now you just need a compressor and air pressure regulator.

http://www.eastwood.com/ir-cure-syst...tcoat-gun.html

So all in all its doable man. If you have the business that is it can be profitable. All im saying is dont half ass it cause you'll regret it.

If you sign up on one of those japenese forusm like ricerburners dot com youll probably have enough profit to fund an e90 M3. And your stock of powder will be infinite of every color.
ricekiller.com ya. i think i will simply spray paint them, do a good job refinishing them, and lots of clear coat.

Tags
diy, powder coat, sandblasting, wheels