E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #161
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Why is there no :iheartkpeng: emoticon?? I read his threads and I'm like, "wow, great info!" or "gee, that was a really good DIY write up". And then haters come in and say he is arrogant and ignorant and just wants attention. I like reading what he has to say and some slight arrogance is justified considering how much he has learned (and taught) since joining this forum. Kpeng's contribution to this forum has saved me thousands of dollars and allowed me to continue owning my car.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles

Last edited by e4Tsex; 03-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #162
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
How about....

RACELAND!

Seriously...I would go with the bilsteins because...I have bilsteins.

But I did like the UUC springs and OEM dampers. Low enough but not too low. Price is right too. I don't see too many people running UUC springs anymore?
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #163
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
How about....

RACELAND!

But I did like the UUC springs and OEM dampers. Low enough but not too low. Price is right too. I don't see too many people running UUC springs anymore?

Because they are crap

Seriously, I've had more UUC parts fail than ANYTHING I've ever owned. Car related or not.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #164
Focal E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolio View Post
Why is there no :iheartkpeng: emoticon?? .
I think your sig says enough.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #165
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
I think your sig says enough.

I made that for my last post but it quickly earned its way to my sig instead.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #166
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Seriously, I've had more UUC parts fail than ANYTHING I've ever owned. Car related or not.
Really? I've never had an issue and I've bought quite a few. I did spend 5 hours trying to get a DSSR on which had a bent end. UUC overnighted a new part and I was good to go!
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #167
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
Quote:
Because they are crap

havent any problems with any of my UUC parts......
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #168
zugellos

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Are we, yet again, ignoring the Raceland shock that snapped at it's installation point???

Somebody have the picture? I know it's been posted on here a half dozen times.
I believe you're mistaking DDM Coilovers for Raceland's.
The shocks/struts that you're referring were DDM's.
zugellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #169
darrenarnold

My Ride: e46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Common sense seems to be an issue around here as of late, so allow me to help some of you out.

1. A set of coilovers for $200 is not going to be quality. I'm not going to buy a burger from McDonalds, and expect it to taste great.

2. Just because something has the word "Race" in its name, doesn't mean it's good or cool. I'm going to start selling you people electric superchargers, and call it "RaceCharger". I can't wait to see how many people buy it.

3. If your $200 set of coilovers break, don't complain, you asked for it.

4. Even if you don't care about your own safety, or the well-being of your car, watch out for the safety of others. Suspension failure can lead to some potentially dangerous situations.

5. Suspension, wheels, and tires are three things no one should ever skimp out on. It's what you ride on, and what keeps you on the road. Spend a little more and do it right. Safety is not worth a couple extra bills in your wallet.

6. DON'T BUY RACELAND COILOVERS. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE, THEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD A SUSPENSION.

In all seriousness though, I'm tired of people buying this junk, and then complaining that it is junk. What do you expect? We have a plethora of great sponsors who are offering great deals on great suspensions, take advantage of it! Don't go buying this garbage and putting it on your car like it's the next big thing.

If you cannot afford a proper suspension, even if it is just springs and shocks (I have an H&R Cupkit, and I couldn't be happier), then you can wait. There's nothing wrong with riding on stock suspension until you can afford something better.
unfortunatley some people havnt got enuf dolla to spend on expensive suspension, $200 coilovers will be more than safe enuf as EVERY manufacturer
has to meet minimum requirements when making there products. it is the drivers own opinion wether or not these so called garbage suspension are any good. its not like any of us drive formula 1 cars, so it dont really matter.
darrenarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #170
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugellos View Post
I believe you're mistaking DDM Coilovers for Raceland's.
The shocks/struts that you're referring were DDM's.
This may be the case. If so, I apologize. I remember the image very vividly (they were red shocks). Regardless, spent a good hour on the phone last night discussing these with the "source" conducting the tests on racelands and, I must say, when you guys see the results, "you're gonna sh*t bricks". They really are (A) of terrible quality (B) wayyyyy off the spring rates claimed on the cite (C) rather dangerous given A & B both for you and other motorists on the road. Consensus is, as long as they hold together, you could be fine using them as a poorly handling daily driver but, if you want to do anything remotely aggressive (even a hard bank on a highway) the result, when using these, could be catastrophic.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #171
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:

Do tell, what UUC parts have you seen fail???
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #172
zugellos

Quote:
This may be the case. If so, I apologize. I remember the image very vividly (they were red shocks)....
Yes...those were DDM's.
Here's the original thread: http://forums.carolinaeuros.com/inde...pic=6374&st=20

Last edited by zugellos; 03-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #173
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Quote:
This may be the case. If so, I apologize. I remember the image very vividly (they were red shocks). Regardless, spent a good hour on the phone last night discussing these with the "source" conducting the tests on racelands and, I must say, when you guys see the results, "you're gonna sh*t bricks". They really are (A) of terrible quality (B) wayyyyy off the spring rates claimed on the cite (C) rather dangerous given A & B both for you and other motorists on the road. Consensus is, as long as they hold together, you could be fine using them as a poorly handling daily driver but, if you want to do anything remotely aggressive (even a hard bank on a highway) the result, when using these, could be catastrophic.

Chase, you are so dramatic it's ridiculous!!....

All he said earlier were that they were a little softer than oem M3 and that the spring Lbs slighty varied....

you can't even get your facts straight before you post up your "valid" opinions. just stop.

If these test were done months ago with such poor results, you guys would have been on the forums the next day bashing them. Bimmer07's only remarks after the test have not been that damning. Is all this info gonna change when the "official results' come out. seems like you guys are just gonna throw your bias's into it.

- Albert Einstein
- Chad

Last edited by Stanc3; 03-16-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #174
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Quote:
They did a test of the Raceland Coils from a performance perspective and we've already seen the pic of the shock which snapped at the support from daily driving . Put those two together, and you get a product of shoddy quality (at best) which also has crummy performance specs.

If it was just your own safety, that would be one thing. But you are literally putting other motorists in danger running such an unproven product which has such a questionable reputation... and all for a "slammed look" which could also be derived from lowering springs for just a little more money.
Quote:
Are we, yet again, ignoring the Raceland shock that snapped at it's installation point???

Somebody have the picture? I know it's been posted on here a half dozen times.
Quote:
way to spread your mis-information as fact...

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #175
jvn_style

My Ride: E46 325i
Quote:
How about....

RACELAND!

lol! RACELANDS FTW!! since the springs were shipped. For $70-80 more than Eibach i think Bilsteins worth it.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #176
Focal E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
Do tell, what UUC parts have you seen fail???

I received a defective clutch line that led to numerous hours of trouble shooting and unnessecary bleeding of the clutch line before I realized the line was bad.

I had an oil drain plug break off.

I received my TSE3 beat to **** from poor packaging.

I had to get new nuts for my tranny mounts because one came crossthreaded

I'm not even go into the countless clutch failure threads I've read on here and sway bar sets popping out of the brackets and squeking issues.

Search "UUC'c poor crap" and that should go into more detail about their horrible customer service.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #177
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
God. I've had enough of this. The next person who PM's me about posting the dyno results is getting a raceland strut shoved up their ass.

For the last time:

The materials and construction look perfectly safe. The welds aren't the prettiest, but they seem structurally sound.

Right to left the shocks and springs matched one another within an acceptable spec, consistent with other brands in the market.

The shocks are very, very soft. Softer than what was on file for e46 m3 shocks.

The springs are way too stiff for the shocks.

The combination of those two things = car will just bounce up and down on the springs. Which is no fun for ride quality, and certainly terrible for performance.

If you could get springs that were close to oem rates, the Racelands are probably a perfectly safe alternative for people with blown OEM suspension who don't want to spend much to replace it, and still have a nice drop.

They are simply not a performance upgrade.

I will post the graphs later.

Unlike the Chase's in this thread, I have seen the kit, held the shocks in my hand, seen the dyno. They are generic shock bodies, just like what all cheap suspension companies use. Using those makes production costs cheap, and involves virtually no R&D. The only difference between these and the other garbage cheap kits (DDM, FK, ST, whatever else) is that they are super soft.

For those of you that have Raceland and are saying the ride is close to stock - your stock suspension must have been blown, or you don't know what you're talking about.

For anyone who thinks this off the shelf kit is going to improve the handling or performance of your car, its not.

And finally, no I would never put these on any of my cars. I wouldn't put any of the cheap coilovers on my car though. I tell people all the time that the cheapest coilover I feel safe in recommending is the Tein Basic. But hey, Seth and I have about $6000 worth of suspension parts on our e46's so thats just me.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #178
Focal E46

..waiting on twisted reply from that guy that likes to write novels....
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #179
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Hmm, looks like I managed to piss off Ashley.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #180
zugellos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
For the last time:

The materials and construction look perfectly safe. The welds aren't the prettiest, but they seem structurally sound.

Right to left the shocks and springs matched one another within an acceptable spec, consistent with other brands in the market.

The shocks are very, very soft. Softer than what was on file for e46 m3 shocks.

The springs are way too stiff for the shocks.

The combination of those two things = car will just bounce up and down on the springs. Which is no fun for ride quality, and certainly terrible for performance.

If you could get springs that were close to oem rates, the Racelands are probably a perfectly safe alternative for people with blown OEM suspension who don't want to spend much to replace it, and still have a nice drop.

They are simply not a performance upgrade.

I will post the graphs later.

Unlike the Chase's in this thread, I have seen the kit, held the shocks in my hand, seen the dyno. They are generic shock bodies, just like what all cheap suspension companies use. Using those makes production costs cheap, and involves virtually no R&D. The only difference between these and the other garbage cheap kits (DDM, FK, ST, whatever else) is that they are super soft.
Thanks Ashley!
This sounds like I made the the right choice for what I need in my DD.

Tags
wanna be mod