E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #41
boyguan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: san francisco
Posts: 122
My Ride: 02 330i
what is the inner race you guys speak of? i think i know but a picture would help greatly

thanks
boyguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #42
GDA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, Tx
Posts: 390
My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyguan View Post
what is the inner race you guys speak of? i think i know but a picture would help greatly

thanks
The picture above step 15 shows a puller removing the inner race. Compare that pic to the one with the clean spindle and you will note the back half of the inner race.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #43
boyguan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: san francisco
Posts: 122
My Ride: 02 330i
thanks for the write up.

only part i worry about is this inner race. i dont want to damage anything trying to get it off. i am very mechanically inclined but i am being catious.

what is the chance of damaging something getting the inner race off? i am curious why it seperates anyways
boyguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #44
scott0482
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 675
My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
i think one of my fronts is going, thanks for this.. it will save me from having to run to the auto-parts store multiple times to get the right tools/parts.

i did this on a 1990 plymouth voyager once in 30 minutes with very basic and crappy tools.. the hub/bearing assembly was $314 or something too which was pretty lame.
__________________
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #45
djdonis
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 145
My Ride: 330i
I did change rear and front wheel bearings this week. One question though for the OP, how did you reinstall front bearing rear seal cover. In your writeup you "gently tap it out" with the punch. It looks like it is "permanent press" type of cover and requires to be properly seated before hub installation. Or maybe it is pushed by the bearing into the proper position during installation?

I tried all kinds of things to get that seal into the place, could not get it %100, so I just figured I will push the hub in and it will push the seal cover into place. So far so good, no rubbing.
__________________
Diagnosis - BMW...

djdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #46
GDA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frisco, Tx
Posts: 390
My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonis View Post
I did change rear and front wheel bearings this week. One question though for the OP, how did you reinstall front bearing rear seal cover. In your writeup you "gently tap it out" with the punch. It looks like it is "permanent press" type of cover and requires to be properly seated before hub installation. Or maybe it is pushed by the bearing into the proper position during installation?

I tried all kinds of things to get that seal into the place, could not get it %100, so I just figured I will push the hub in and it will push the seal cover into place. So far so good, no rubbing.
^ Congrats on completing the jobs.

To answer your question... I just cleaned up the rear dust covers and pushed them on by hand and they seemed to go all the way on without having to tap/straighen them up with a drift to get them all the way seated.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #47
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDA View Post
^ Congrats on completing the jobs.

To answer your question... I just cleaned up the rear dust covers and pushed them on by hand and they seemed to go all the way on without having to tap/straighen them up with a drift to get them all the way seated.
I had to tap mine into place. I used a piece of 2" ABS drain pipe with a piece of 2x4 at the end.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #48
boyguan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: san francisco
Posts: 122
My Ride: 02 330i
i had some trouble getting the new hub on as i needed to tap it in. i was worried that i was going to marr the spindle. what i did was i took the 46mm socket and tapped it on as sit was just right to seat against the bearing and the inner part of the hub. worked great.

my inner race came off with a few spins and did not need a puller or to dremel it. the trick for leaving the rotor on and tapping it with a mallet really works as i think that is what cause the hub to come off so easily. i finished this in about 1.5 hours from pull in to cleaned up and on the road.
boyguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #49
hyunman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13
My Ride: Carbon Black M3
Send a message via AIM to hyunman Send a message via MSN to hyunman
I'm planning on doing this over the weekend and had a question for those who have already done this.

Reading thru all of this, it seems that you would need to use a puller or a dremmel to get the inner race off if it does in fact get stuck behind. I don't have a dremmel nor do I have a puller. I do a lot of DIYs and I've never needed a dremmel, until now. And the puller they have at my autozone is too thick at the jaws to fit.

Worst case scenario, assuming the mallet/hammer/rotor tricks all don't work, I'm thinking of taking two long flathead screwdrivers at 12 and 6 or 3 and 9 o'clock and prying the crud out of the inner race. Just going by the pictures, it appears workable...but am I just being naive or do you think this would work...with some added time of course?
__________________

Carbon Black 2004 M3
Mods:
K&N Filter / K&N Intake / D. Gunmetal Advan RS / KW V2 Coilovers / Powerflex FCABs & RTABs / Rogue Engineering RSMs / DICE iPhone Integration
Minor Tweaks:
Matte Black Grilles-Gills / Smoked Corners-Sidemarkers / ZCP Shift Knob / Midland 1001Z CB / SW Interior-Plate LEDs / Eurotray / Hardwired Passport 8500 / Blaupunkt GTA4 Amp / Rockford Fosgate Sub / Alcantra Shift and P-Brake Boots
hyunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #50
BimmersGarage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas, TX (USA)
Posts: 2,192
My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunman View Post
I'm planning on doing this over the weekend and had a question for those who have already done this.

Reading thru all of this, it seems that you would need to use a puller or a dremmel to get the inner race off if it does in fact get stuck behind. I don't have a dremmel nor do I have a puller. I do a lot of DIYs and I've never needed a dremmel, until now. And the puller they have at my autozone is too thick at the jaws to fit.

Worst case scenario, assuming the mallet/hammer/rotor tricks all don't work, I'm thinking of taking two long flathead screwdrivers at 12 and 6 or 3 and 9 o'clock and prying the crud out of the inner race. Just going by the pictures, it appears workable...but am I just being naive or do you think this would work...with some added time of course?
Hmm... no! I wouldn't advise that you try your "flathead screwdriver" method.

If the inner race is left behind on the spindle/kingpin when you remove your Hub Bearing...

No worries, you can try this method. (It worked perfectly for me.)


Good luck.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #51
hyunman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13
My Ride: Carbon Black M3
Send a message via AIM to hyunman Send a message via MSN to hyunman
Thanks bimmergarage, that cleared up a lot. I didn't that that thick a puller would work because I thought the jaws need to reach all the way behind the inner race, in between the inner race and the dust collar. But watching that, I can clearly see the groove I can latch onto. Thanks again man.
__________________

Carbon Black 2004 M3
Mods:
K&N Filter / K&N Intake / D. Gunmetal Advan RS / KW V2 Coilovers / Powerflex FCABs & RTABs / Rogue Engineering RSMs / DICE iPhone Integration
Minor Tweaks:
Matte Black Grilles-Gills / Smoked Corners-Sidemarkers / ZCP Shift Knob / Midland 1001Z CB / SW Interior-Plate LEDs / Eurotray / Hardwired Passport 8500 / Blaupunkt GTA4 Amp / Rockford Fosgate Sub / Alcantra Shift and P-Brake Boots
hyunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #52
BimmersGarage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas, TX (USA)
Posts: 2,192
My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Hey anytime.. Glad it helped.
Take photos (or Video) so you can document your progress.
If you have any other issues/questions.
Search my other vids.

And, remember to always Drive With Power!
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #53
Homer86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
My Ride: 00 323CI
Thanks a lot for the info guys. I did both sides in a few hours. The only catch I had was that rear ring. I had to use the dremmel to take it off. I didnt want to but couldnt get it with any other way.
Homer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #54
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,775
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Did this for my friend over the weekend. Took 30 mins. Both bearing and inner race came out with pull of my hand!!! Hard to believe but it did happen.

Thanks for the writeup
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #55
Itzed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fallston, Maryland
Posts: 119
My Ride: 2004 325xi
I just bought a 2004 325xi yesterday to add to my 2003 325i, and I'm going to need to do this on the xi real soon as I hear some birds chirping, especially when loading up the left front. Does anyone know if there are any notes anywhere on the forum regarding the differences on the xi?
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #56
Hrvat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 2,775
My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
I just bought a 2004 325xi yesterday to add to my 2003 325i, and I'm going to need to do this on the xi real soon as I hear some birds chirping, especially when loading up the left front. Does anyone know if there are any notes anywhere on the forum regarding the differences on the xi?
It won't be as simple as changing front one on non-xi and probably just as hard as changing rear on non-xi. Good luck
__________________

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #57
Payne78
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 29
My Ride: loaners
Does the new hub/bearing come with the "race" thing? or is it a different part I have to order? I don't see it separately on the website I order the bearing from.

Last edited by Payne78; 07-12-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Payne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #58
Payne78
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 29
My Ride: loaners
Anyone?
Payne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #59
steve.325i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 763
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne78 View Post
Does the new hub/bearing come with the "race" thing? or is it a different part I have to order? I don't see it separately on the website I order the bearing from.
Yes, it comes with it.

But the dust cap IS a seperate item.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #60
BimmersGarage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas, TX (USA)
Posts: 2,192
My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
The inner and outter race are Pre-installed to the Hub at the factory (to contain the ball bearings and bearing clips) So, when installing you Must be careful how you tap the hub onto the kingpin.

Using the proper size bearing installer will help You hit Only the race and not at the hub to prevent damaging your new hub/bearings.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
front wheel bearing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use