E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
2004bmw330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci 3pedals!
So I love my car but...Would you drop up to 4k into it?

Ok so I love my E46 330ci Stick but, I still have about 4-5more years left to pay it off and will probably wind up being upside down if I continue to pay minimum payments... Like I said I love my E46 and the mileage isn't that High it's only at I think 80k.
But the question that has been running through my mind is well I want to mod it more but with all the mods I want to do to it will end up being about 4k! Ya! It is an expensive hobby which I understand but I'm trying to think

Would you drop 4k into a car that well is only worth 8-9k in this market?
As well if you would what would you do first...I figure I can pay it off within a year if I don't do anything to it mod wise...Or I can just well get rid of it and upgrade...to an E92 or well maybe one of those nice 135's...

I guess what I'm really thinking is will my E46 last me for another 8 years?

Thanks for you input guys!
2004bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Kringkily

My Ride: e46 m3 convertible
id wait instead of putting that much into a 330 or trade in and get a m3. a m3 is a better overall keepsake for the years to come.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
335iTah

My Ride: 335i>330i
E92 end of story lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFF112 View Post
Calm down, gently remove your tampon and then sit back relax and enjoy a nice glass of 'mind your own fuccing business'.
335iTah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
elanlyfestyle

My Ride: 03 325ci
you friend sound wise. no i prob wouldn't do the mods right now. Especially if your making payments and are already concerned about what you will get out of it in the back end. Cars depreciate rapidly thats all there is to it, mods or not. From my own experience i dropped about 8k in mine last spring and still need about another 4k just to get it halfway where i want it. I'll never get that money back out of the car.
elanlyfestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
People spend unreasonable amounts of money on things that make them happy, regardless of potential payback or added value (Google: Las Vegas vacations). If spending that kind of scratch on your car makes you happy, then do it.

However, if you're in the position that you have to ask if you can afford it... then you can't. Those heavily-modded cars you see in magazines and driving around are owned by people with gobs of disposable income. And you're dreaming of keeping up with them on your salary...?? Having to make payments on the car... never mind minimum payments... is your biggest clue.

Pay down your loan and in a couple-three years, you can make a more intelligent decsion as to which way you'll want to go...
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
BmwMan325

My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
Use the money for increased payments and maintenance
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
UNFORGIVEN
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Bagged Stang, 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
People spend unreasonable amounts of money on things that make them happy, regardless of potential payback or added value (Google: Las Vegas vacations). If spending that kind of scratch on your car makes you happy, then do it.
I agree with that part. Modding helps me keep my sanity during the times of stress. Do what you can when you can. It'll get there eventually.

Special thanks to Mr. AWD for the new sig...
UNFORGIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
lucas_pln

My Ride: 330I '05
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004bmw330ci View Post
Ok so I love my E46 330ci Stick but, I still have about 4-5more years left to pay it off and will probably wind up being upside down if I continue to pay minimum payments... Like I said I love my E46 and the mileage isn't that High it's only at I think 80k.
But the question that has been running through my mind is well I want to mod it more but with all the mods I want to do to it will end up being about 4k! Ya! It is an expensive hobby which I understand but I'm trying to think

Would you drop 4k into a car that well is only worth 8-9k in this market?
As well if you would what would you do first...I figure I can pay it off within a year if I don't do anything to it mod wise...Or I can just well get rid of it and upgrade...to an E92 or well maybe one of those nice 135's...

I guess what I'm really thinking is will my E46 last me for another 8 years?

Thanks for you input guys!
I'm on the same boat but first, the most important thing to do is to pay this car off.

I can't imagine dropping money into mods while you are still making payments on the ride and you can't predict what is going to need some attention in the nearest future (regular maintenance).

Trust me, even though this 80k miles is not that high, you will end up dropping some money in the car just to make it drive.

You have to know what you want and can afford.
Just because you want to go for a newer model doesn't mean you will not spend money for the maintenance and surprises (unless you lease, but then you don't really own the car).
lucas_pln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
coolio4433

My Ride: 2003 Topaz 330ci
Quote:
I still have about 4-5more years left to pay it off

Holy crap, how can you still have 4+ years to pay off a 6+ year old car?
coolio4433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Perform routine maintenance, save some money for repairs (you will need to) and payoff loan... in this order... then if any money left over use it for mods.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Solatso

My Ride: 2001 330i
One thing to remember is that MOD money is throw away money. You're not gonna make it back if you decide to sell the car so if that's your concern then don't do it.

If you plan on keeping the car a long time then it's simply a matter of personal taste. Basically, if the mods make you happy then cost isn't an issue. Over the course of 6 years I've put more into my car than it is currently worth but I have no plans on getting rid of it and I love how it looks and love how it drives so I'm happy with having spent the money.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
You also have to consider cost of replacement.
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
I think your state of mind says it all. Even if you go ahead and drop 4k worth of mods into that car, the fact that you'll be bleeding to death (financially) will just take the pleasure out of it. If you have limited funds available, first and foremost is maintenance and second is selective modding. Write everything down and try to figure out which mods will make the most difference vs money spent and keep with that. And remember less is more, subtle mods can make a world of difference. This way you can keep your mod gods happy without agonizing about how much money you've spent.

In regards to your second question, I can't see any reason why that car shouldn't last another few good years without major maintenance needed, you drive a stick and that's half your problems away. I suppose there'll always be a point where your car is just getting old and you want to upgrade but that's for you to decide, plus that comes with additional heavy costs as someone pointed above.

Last edited by Lestat_; 03-18-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Lestat_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
megammax

My Ride: M3
Take it one mod at a time. I've had my car for 6 years and it still isn't where I want it, but with each mod it gets closer and that's part of the fun too. Just make sure maintenance is your main concern. No sense modding a car that doesn't work.
megammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
2004bmw330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci 3pedals!
Great Advice!

Well after some heavy consideration and thinking I have decided to keep the car!

Reason that I have decided to keep it is well that I love the car and consider myself lucky to even own it...I'm 18 years old...

I realize that well I make only about 1k a month and my car payment isn't that big...but I can pay my car off within a year if I really want...Which I think I will do along with some lil mods here and there
But in all reality I'm 18 years old I have to pay for college myself, and soon to be rent

I figure that in 2 years my car will be payed off I will have my car looking EXACTLY the way I want it to by then...I'll be 19-20years old my insurance will go down...and I will have NO car payments plus a sick car! As well half the money that I recieve from checks goes into savings. So by the time I'm 20 years old my car will be payed off..insurance will be down I'll most likely have my AA degree and possible be able to find a better paying job...So when I can truly afford it buy a Brand new Euro-Delivery 135i!

All in all I'll upgrade when I can truly afford it...till then I drive a pretty nice car for the age of 18.

Oh and for the guy who asked, how I still have 4-5more years it's actually 4 now..but when I bought my carlast year the economy was just starting to go crap! And well I payed a lil more then expected but hey it has all the options I want!
2004bmw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Just make it exactly how you want it, and enjoy it for as long as you can.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
JustMadeTheCut

My Ride: bmw-yamaha
Quote:
Well after some heavy consideration and thinking I have decided to keep the car!

Reason that I have decided to keep it is well that I love the car and consider myself lucky to even own it...I'm 18 years old...
does that make you class of 2010?
JustMadeTheCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
I just turned 19 this march, love my car and all but I feel like im wasting my money... cant decide on an e46 m3 with future hpf kit, e92 335i, or mkiv supra... hardest decision of my life.
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #19
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Screw the mods. Maintain and pay off the car.
You can go from there- keep it and do whatever you wnat with it, mod the hell out of it if you like, or get a new car and continue with payments.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #20
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
Pay the car off. You should of paid cash to begin with.

E30 in progress.

bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote