E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
lilbimmer

My Ride: 01 330ci Step
Send a message via Yahoo to lilbimmer Send a message via Skype™ to lilbimmer
Escaping air noise coming from Engine

I hear some air escaping from what seems to be a small box attached to the right side of the engine just behind the dipstick. The noise is pretty loud hissing sound and I do not know what is causing it. Is this normal?

History:

I have been having issues recently (this winter) where the car starts violently upon cold starts. At first I thought is was due to the extreme cold weather here in MD, but it has been warm the past week and it still happens. Idle above 650 it seems fine, but at 550 it is rough. Twice it would get to the point where the car would not start (or actually cut off after starting) and I would have to jump it.

Codes thrown:

p0313, p0300, p1343, p1345, p1347, p1348, p1351, p1353, p0174, p0171. These appear to be related to cylinder misfires and the 017x, which I knew about already, is the fuel leak.

lilbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
Spark plug
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
By right side of engine, I'm assuming you mean the left side of engine behind dipstick? I'm pretty sure right and left are always from car's point of view, not yours...which is why in US, I always tell guys driver's or passenger side...just to be safe.

Anyway, rectangular black box maybe 1" thick, 3" high and about 5" long?
= DISA

Isolate sound with a hose in ear or stethoscope. If it's hissing from there, pretty easy to get to and get it off. There is a gasket that can be replaced...and DISA's go bad pretty often from what I hear.

Many other places for air leaks, so before you go replacing a million parts, isolate well.

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
spark plug? wtf?

sounds like your disa is leaking
Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
lllSupra

is that small box by any chance the DISA Valve? it could be loose or you could have a ripped intake boot. There are 2 T-40 torx screws that hold hold that thing on try tightening them and check for any leaks in the rubber intake boot that goes down to the throttle body from your MAF and air box.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
lllSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
spark plug? wtf?

sounds like your disa is leaking
For mis firing
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
lilbimmer

dmax you are correct in your description. Sorry for the confusion regarding left and right. Just curious as to the issues this potential DISA leak can cause. Loss of power/torque or idle issues? As for the spark plug issues, I changed all of them at my last service in November. Could problems be happening already?

Edit: Just came from AA and they tested my battery and told me my charge was low (350v when it should be 850v).

Old 03-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbimmer View Post
dmax you are correct in your description. Sorry for the confusion regarding left and right. Just curious as to the issues this potential DISA leak can cause. Loss of power/torque or idle issues? As for the spark plug issues, I changed all of them at my last service in November. Could problems be happening already?

Edit: Just came from AA and they tested my battery and told me my charge was low (350v when it should be 850v).
Can't really comment on issues a faulty or leaky DISA would have, but know you'll find tons of info from searching.

On the battery, if you think you can trust the alcoholics to diagnose your battery, then probably time for a new one...another simple repair! Sorry!

Also, while I'm picking on you, I suspect the 350 vs. 850 is CCA, or cold cranking amps...as our batteries only put out 12 volts...plus or minus. More when running and alt. is charging it...think then it should read 14 something.

Anyway, I also wouldn't be surprised if some of your issues relate to low voltage from battery. Wouldn't be the first time a low battery has caused all kinds of issues...and many sensors need the right power to signal the right things...mostly a guess, OP, but one based on years of experience...just no specific knowledge! Again, sorry!

BTW, I like the idea of trying to tighten DISA...just check torque specs and don't go crazy. If you don't have a Bentley, write back and I'll see what it says...or also search here...some guy posted a torque spec for everything in our car not long ago. What a great place...huh?

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 03-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllSupra View Post
Spark plug
Yeah, you need to stop putting those cheap, noisy plugs in your engine.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
lilbimmer

hey dmax can you send me the info from the Bentley manual and I will take a look at this through the week. I will also check out the battery issue.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
dmax

I could not find torque specs on the DISA in Bentley...but if the screws are loose, tighten them evenly by feel...it's not 'mad' tight. Also, as others have learned too late, use the right size bit. I remember a guy who stripped his bolt...he used an allen bit that fit...but it was a torx head screw! I'm 'vaguely' remembering T25...but don't trust me!

If you search torque values or something...I bet that posting with a TIS on all torque values will come up...hope so...but think you're going to do it by feel anyway...so my guess would be somewhere between 10-20 lbs...but don't go crazy!

HTH

Doug

Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
bimmer94

My Ride: 330i
So lilbimmer any updates?
bimmer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
lilbimmer

Yes indeed! I ended up taking it to a local mechanic they ended up finding holes in 2 hoses. They replaced the hoses and now the SES light I have been driving with for over a year has not come back on since (knock on wood). My car also sounds better during early morning starts and the belt noise I used to hear while idle, in reverse and in park, is either non-existent or only shows up when the car has been driven for a while. My power seems to have returned and my gas mileage seems to be doing better.

All-in-all I feel good about my car again. Now to get some work done on my skirts that seem to want to drop of :/

Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
bimmer94

My Ride: 330i
Thats great to hear man, so any idea of which hoses they were, did he do a smoke test on it?
bimmer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
adrianpl

My Ride: 01 330ci
Hey im gay
adrianpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpl View Post
Hey im gay