E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
***DIY Tri-Stitch Shift & E-Brake Boot***

Time:2-5 hrs (Take your time and it will look great)
Difficulty 2 of 10. (if you can sew a button you can Tri-stitch)
Tools Needed:
Thread
Needle
Thimble
Tri-Stitch color thread
X-acto knife
Super Glue
Good lighting source to see what your doing.

Total cost: $5

Note: This was done on leather.This process can also be applied to any other material, i.e alcantara, suede, etc...

Well you want to start of by taking out your shift boot and e-brake boot. Don't hurt yourself taking out your shift knob. You can use the search button to find out how, it's simple!!

Here is a good reference point on what the pattern should look like.

I went to Michaels arts and crafts store to buy some thread. These are the colors I used, that I thought matched the best. Color codes: 909, 3842, 519. *feel free to use any other color that you think is a better match*

You'll need some Krazy Glue and a x-acto knife

If you don't have any sewing equipment, pick some up at Michaels or any arts and craft store, get needles, and a thimble!

Once you have your shift boot off. Examine the stitch patterns so you know what your getting self into

Use the x-acto knife to separate the leather from the housing. Go slow to not cut/slice the boot

Turn the boot inside out

Find the stitch points near the bottom

Use the x-acto knife to take apart the stitching

Pull the thread out 1(one) at a time. Repeat steps to remove the other stitching.

This is what it should look like after you are done removing the stitching.

DO NOT REMOVE THE STITCHING IN THE MIDDLE IT WILL SPLIT THE BOOT. JUST TAKE OUT THE OUTER MOST STITCH'S.

Thread the needle

Start at the top. Remember to start with the right color. Go in and out to make a loop on the inside of the boot.

Loop!

Extend the thread down to the bottom first stitch. .

Go into the first stitch. Note: try your best to use the existing holes to re-stitch

Now. This is the Tricky part. What you want to do is pull the thread through the boot, over the extend thread on the outside and back down the same hole you went up through. This will pull the outside extended thread down. Repeat all the way to the top. Tighten every 2-3 stitches by giving the thread a good pull. Take your time

Once you got all the way to the top, use the loop you made a few steps back to tie the thread together nice and tight.

This is what it should look like.

Do the same process for the other side. Start at the top and make a loop on the inside of the boot.

Extend the thread to the first hole near the bottom

Repeat steps to stitch: pull the thread through the boot, over the extend thread on the outside and back down the same hole you went up through. This will pull the outside extended thread down. Repeat all the way to the top. Tighten every 2-3 stitches by giving the thread a good pull. Take your time. Don't forget to tie a knot at the end using the loop you made a few steps back

Almost there!

Now the easy part. Start at the bottom, go through the bottom left or right stitch (doesn't matter which one you start with). Tie one end down. Now Go back out the same hole.

You want to make a Zig-Zag pattern, alternating one stitch on each side as you go across. Pull the thread under the stitch and give a nice pull every 2 to ensure tightness. Look at the first picture for reference.

Work your way to the top. Take your time.

At the top, thread the needle to the inside of the boot and tie it down.

Now that you are done. Take the boot and wrap it back around the housing.

Secure it with Krazy Glue. Let glue dry for about 5 mins.

Done! Enjoy your new Tri-Stitch shift boot.

Last edited by E46Moonlight; 03-19-2010 at 11:22 AM.
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
E46Moonlight

Start of by taking your E-Brake boot out of the car. I pop's right out. Just pull! The process is exactly the same as the Shift boot just a little longer.

Use the x-acto knife to separate the leather from the housing. Go slow to not cut/slice the boot.

The e-brake handle is held on by a zip tie, no need to cut it. Just wiggle it out.

Slide the handle out

Find the stitch points near the bottom, use the x-acto knife to cut them and pull them one by one.

Stitched are out!

Remember to make the loop on the inside of the boot at the top near the handle. Extend the end to the bottom stitch to start.

The only thing different I did on the E-brake boot than the shift boot was I use a thicker needle. Reasons: 1) Easier to thread the needle. You find that threading the needle is the hardest part if you don't have steady hands or the right needle that goes with the thread. 2: made the holes a tiny bit bigger, which made it so much easier and faster. I got the E-brake done in half the time compared to the shift boot.

Remember to use the existing holes, and give a nice pull every 2-3 to ensure tightness. Repeat the steps as the shift boot, once one side is done again repeat the same process on the other side.

Once both sides of the stitching is done. Repeat the same steps to tri-stitch. Remember to pull every 2 to get a nice even Zig-Zag pattern.

Once you finish one side. Repeat the steps again to the other set of stitching! You are Half way done!!!
Once you finish the last set of stitching don't forget to tie all the threads down.

Now that you are done. Take the boot and wrap it back around the housing.
Secure it with Krazy Glue. Let glue dry for about 5 mins.
Install everything back into the car.
Done! Enjoy your new Tri-Stitch e-brake boot.

Results!!!!!

Thanks for looking. If you have any questions just ask them on here and I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited by E46Moonlight; 03-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Eddy325ci

My Ride: E46 325ci
Nice idea, it would look better if the stitching was closer together.
Eddy325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
rsxstock

My Ride: 2001 325ci
looks great! though i think it might look odd in my beige interior
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy325ci View Post
Nice idea, it would look better if the stitching was closer together.
yea it would! but i have an after market leather shift boot and E-brake boot. The OEM one was old and had holes left from the previous owner. Not to shabby for not knowing what i was doing!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
hummermaniac88

My Ride: 320i
Very nice, I was waiting for a write up like this, now only if someone dissected the boot and the e-brake boot and wrote up pattern for tri stiched alcantara boot DIY...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummermaniac88 View Post
Very nice, I was waiting for a write up like this, now only if someone dissected the boot and the e-brake boot and wrote up pattern for tri stiched alcantara boot DIY...
Wouldnt it be the same

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
coby1
Just Road Miles

My Ride: 325i sport pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummermaniac88 View Post
lol i just cut up my shift boot up to make a pattern. good job op at first i thought damn his fingers are going to get chewed up trying to punch that leather then saw you used the original holes looks great.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
E46Moonlight

Thanks everyone. I'm working on the e-brake boot now. post will be up tomorrow
Old 03-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Looks great, might have to do this.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
E46Moonlight

E-brake DIY is up on post #2.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Nice idea
Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
kz330xi

My Ride: 04 330xi...
looks damn goood bro
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
autothug

My Ride: MB sprinter, E92
Send a message via AIM to autothug
im next Green please? can drop it off asap
autothug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by autothug View Post
im next Green please? can drop it off asap
lol... i would but it's way to time consuming to do. if i had a machine then i would defiantly consider doing this for people.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
OP you inspired me

here is a pic of what I did... got the same brand thread as you... FYI for others I went to Jo Anne Fabrics, the thread I got was in the embroidery section, they have 100's of colors so plenty of customization options out there, I also used embroidery needles, probably a little easier to thread with the thicker thread than a regular sewing needle. I was also just playing around to see if I would really like it so I just used my old vinyl boot and did not remove it from the frame, its probably easier to remove it and do it like that, but not necessary.

Last edited by jwm5; 03-23-2010 at 11:07 AM.
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
OP you inspired me.

Looks pretty damn good! Do u have a close up of the stitch patter. It looks different
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
gte869h

My Ride: 2002 330i Orient Blu
Awesome THREAD. (get the pun)

This was real clever OP.

gte869h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Moonlight View Post
Looks pretty damn good! Do u have a close up of the stitch patter. It looks different
no clear pics of the threads, I doubled up on the outside lines so two black stripes and two yellow, then one red the way up the middle, then one red between the inner black and yellow, so it gives it a different look not quite as sparse as the stock stitch pattern
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #20
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
no clear pics of the threads, I doubled up on the outside lines so two black stripes and two yellow, then one red the way up the middle, then one red between the inner black and yellow, so it gives it a different look not quite as sparse as the stock stitch pattern
Very unique! Did you just do the shift boot? this would look so on the e-brake boot. Then your interior is