E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
intense1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 49
My Ride: '02 325i
Clutch for Auto-X?

Hi! Thanks for reading, this is my second post on this forum. I just got an '02 325i and it needs a clutch. I got the car because I want to start doing autoX, but I'm not sure of the rules. I think I'm going to be in stock or street touring. I read thru the rules on the SCCA webpage, but it wasn't clear to me if I could but a better than stock clutch in and still be compliant with the rules.
Thanks for the help!
intense1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
intense1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 49
My Ride: '02 325i
anybody?
intense1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
put f1 gripforce into ebay. stage 2 w/ lightened flywheel, search on forum, god reviews
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,351
My Ride: 2003 325xi
I think it would be pretty difficult for someone to inspect your clutch at an autox and add points for an uprated one.

Have at it. Although most likely you will be in secong gear for most of the autox-proabably not going to make you faster, but I'm no expert.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,939
My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
A lightened flywheel will definitely help you in autocross and someone would probably know if he pulled up to the start line with a chattering ultra-lightweight flywheel
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
ya but a stock 325 puts you squarely in C class so even with a few bolt ons, like a upgraded clutch or lgihened flywheel will nt cause you to move to a higher class. however a lightened flywheel adds 3 points, so you are at like 45 or so.
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Rotha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 4,827
My Ride: N/A
i put down a lot of suspension and motor mods at my last autox along with good tires and wheels and different front bumper, i didnt even move up a class. i dont know what a clutch would do.
__________________
LOL .. When a man opens a BMW door for his wife, it's either a new BMW car or a new wife.
Originally Posted by: bmw greensboro

Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogenic View Post
i put down a lot of suspension and motor mods at my last autox along with good tires and wheels and different front bumper, i didnt even move up a class. i dont know what a clutch would do.

shoskcs and springs are about 3 points total and you get a -1 for being a wagon.....
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
azzy989
Registered User
 
azzy989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 10,395
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense1 View Post
Hi! Thanks for reading, this is my second post on this forum. I just got an '02 325i and it needs a clutch. I got the car because I want to start doing autoX, but I'm not sure of the rules. I think I'm going to be in stock or street touring. I read thru the rules on the SCCA webpage, but it wasn't clear to me if I could but a better than stock clutch in and still be compliant with the rules.
Thanks for the help!

just checked the rules for stock class

light weight flywheel is out but an upgraded clutch is fine provided the material is close to the stock material... no 4 or 6 puck clutches... has to be circular... i am one to follow rules, but i don't think an upgraded clutch is really going to give you a significant advantage in an autox and it is not easy to verify. go with what you want to lol.

Quote:
Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered
replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets,
fi lters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure
plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, etc.) may be used provided
they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g. have the
same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.), are used in the same
location, and provide no performance benefit.
__________________
-Azlan *I want to be like CD330*




Last edited by azzy989; 03-25-2010 at 07:36 PM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
intense1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 49
My Ride: '02 325i
Thanks for all the info!! I was thinking that I'd be in 'stock touring', but what is C class? I've never actually done an AutoX
intense1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
azzy989
Registered User
 
azzy989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 10,395
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense1 View Post
Thanks for all the info!! I was thinking that I'd be in 'stock touring', but what is C class? I've never actually done an AutoX
you're running SCCA solo 2 right?

for a stock car, your actual class would be D stock provided you are 'stock' according to their rules. there are a few differences between a 'stock class' and 'street touring class' (ST)

stock class can run racing compound tires but they need to be mounted on the stock wheels, or the wheel needs to be same diameter and width as the stock wheel. modifications are very limited... off the top of my head, you can run a catback exhaust, aftermarket dampers and a front sway bar. nothing else...

ST class allows for a larger range of modifications. you can do pretty much any suspension mod. coilovers, f & r sway bars, camber plates, camber arms ETC ETC. the only rule about it is you cannot use spherical bearings in place of bushings. bushings can be upgraded to any stiffer material but the use of a solid/metal bushing is prohibited.....

NOW the advantage to ST is it is a street tire class, any tire with a treadwear rating of 140 and above is allowed. cars with racing compounds and a good driver of course have a bit more of an advantage than a car on street tires. the suspension modifications make ST kind of a ridiculous class to be in even though it is a street tire class....

having said that, there is another class that you could be in where you can be a bit more competitive. this class is A-Tire (AT). This is basically stock class but on street tires. that will help even the playing field a bit. when you register, your car will be classed as a "D-stock" car and then your sub class would be AT...

hope that helps some. let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: a friend of mine told me that AT is a local class and it's availability will vary from chapter to chapter.... check to see if the hawaii chapter has it... if not i say run D-stock
__________________
-Azlan *I want to be like CD330*




Last edited by azzy989; 03-25-2010 at 10:18 PM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
intense1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 49
My Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy989 View Post
you're running SCCA solo 2 right?

for a stock car, your actual class would be D stock provided you are 'stock' according to their rules. there are a few differences between a 'stock class' and 'street touring class' (ST)

stock class can run racing compound tires but they need to be mounted on the stock wheels, or the wheel needs to be same diameter and width as the stock wheel. modifications are very limited... off the top of my head, you can run a catback exhaust, aftermarket dampers and a front sway bar. nothing else...

ST class allows for a larger range of modifications. you can do pretty much any suspension mod. coilovers, f & r sway bars, camber plates, camber arms ETC ETC. the only rule about it is you cannot use spherical bearings in place of bushings. bushings can be upgraded to any stiffer material but the use of a solid/metal bushing is prohibited.....

NOW the advantage to ST is it is a street tire class, any tire with a treadwear rating of 140 and above is allowed. cars with racing compounds and a good driver of course have a bit more of an advantage than a car on street tires. the suspension modifications make ST kind of a ridiculous class to be in even though it is a street tire class....

having said that, there is another class that you could be in where you can be a bit more competitive. this class is A-Tire (AT). This is basically stock class but on street tires. that will help even the playing field a bit. when you register, your car will be classed as a "D-stock" car and then your sub class would be AT...

hope that helps some. let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: a friend of mine told me that AT is a local class and it's availability will vary from chapter to chapter.... check to see if the hawaii chapter has it... if not i say run D-stock

Thanks! Super informative. BTW, what front bumper do you have? I have the regular one with the tiny fog lights and I don't like it.
intense1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
azzy989
Registered User
 
azzy989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 10,395
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
no problem!

i'm running the mtech 2 front bumper. yeap i used to have the bumper with the small foglights too. replaced it with the mtech a few years back.
__________________
-Azlan *I want to be like CD330*



azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #14
intense1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 49
My Ride: '02 325i
Is that a BMW part or an aftermarket? I thought I saw some on Eaby for $200. (i know its off the thread topic-but it's my thread)
intense1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
azzy989
Registered User
 
azzy989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 10,395
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
it is a bmw part.

mine is OEM, but there are replica versions of the same bumper for a little bit less.
__________________
-Azlan *I want to be like CD330*




Last edited by azzy989; 03-26-2010 at 03:31 AM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #16
Rotha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: N/A
Posts: 4,827
My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
shoskcs and springs are about 3 points total and you get a -1 for being a wagon.....
how many points do you get for tokico blues?

you know what it doesn't matter, mods don't matter in HPDEs anyway.
__________________
LOL .. When a man opens a BMW door for his wife, it's either a new BMW car or a new wife.
Originally Posted by: bmw greensboro

Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
wuzilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 42
My Ride: 2001 325it
Not to condone cheating in any way - but if you bolt on turbo kit, and still come in dead last, most likely no one will say anything. With something like a clutch, you would need a competitor to complain before having to actually explain your car. A little smidge of the rules here or there is harmless (in my opinion) unless you're going to the nationals or actually in the upper 70 percentile of your class. In other words, stop worrying about the fine print of the rules and go have fun!
__________________
wuzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
put f1 gripforce into ebay. stage 2 w/ lightened flywheel, search on forum, god reviews
3600 miles on this set up hard launches 4.5k rpm awd all grip no slip did 15 runs on a 1/4 dumping the clutch like a red headed step child! maybe 15 mins cool down after each run prolly less. I thought for a minute my clutch was burning but it was the pathetic mustang next to me. I can't say enough about this set up, just break it in right i didn't start "using the clutch" till after 2500 miles... IMO it's better to break in the clutch on downshifts not launches just my 2 cents
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 AM   #19
M3it
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '02M3,325it,330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense1 View Post
Hi! Thanks for reading, this is my second post on this forum. I just got an '02 325i and it needs a clutch. I got the car because I want to start doing autoX, but I'm not sure of the rules. I think I'm going to be in stock or street touring. I read thru the rules on the SCCA webpage, but it wasn't clear to me if I could but a better than stock clutch in and still be compliant with the rules.
Thanks for the help!
For SCCA stock (DS) and street touring (STX) classes, the clutch has to stay stock. Rule is, if it doesn't say you can, you can't.
__________________

Dunlop Tires / GreenFilter / ChaseCam in car video / Bilstein shocks / Enkei wheels
M3it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
azzy989
Registered User
 
azzy989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 10,395
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
^^ you can run an aftermarket clutch. i posted an excerpt from the rules above.
__________________
-Azlan *I want to be like CD330*



azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use