E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #21
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
CBell,

Also, if it's not too late...go in calm and dissappointed. Inquire don't accuse. You're probably not going back to this shop again after they hopefully make things right...but if you go in pissed (which you have every right to be...probably), then there's less motivation for the shop to have you leave a satisfied customer.

Go in real nice...mention your Internet friends suggested that the airbox should've been hooked up (well, maybe not quite like that), but play wounded puppy, and you'd heard such good things about them from guys on this forum that has 150,000 members, etc....they'll be more likely to go further in fixing things.

MAF prolly needs cleaning is all.

Anyway, eager to hear how this story ends...hope well for your sake!

Love your mech...and if you can't be with the one you love...find another!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
CBell,

Also, if it's not too late...go in calm and dissappointed. Inquire don't accuse. You're probably not going back to this shop again after they hopefully make things right...but if you go in pissed (which you have every right to be...probably), then there's less motivation for the shop to have you leave a satisfied customer.

Go in real nice...mention your Internet friends suggested that the airbox should've been hooked up (well, maybe not quite like that), but play wounded puppy, and you'd heard such good things about them from guys on this forum that has 150,000 members, etc....they'll be more likely to go further in fixing things.

MAF prolly needs cleaning is all.

Anyway, eager to hear how this story ends...hope well for your sake!

Love your mech...and if you can't be with the one you love...find another!

Doug
Screw this.

Go in high and hard. Full refund + $2500 for a rebuilt engine or you send a lawyer.

UNACCEPTABLE. I would do my best to drive them out of business. Yeah, ok it was a couple of airbox bolts, but the next time they may be much more important and somebody could get hurt.

Once your engine touched the red, it's never really the same after that.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
dmax

Kubica,

Since you're an F1 racer, I'm inclined to give great deference to your idea!

But, I'll give you this...based on what the OP says he went to the shop for in the first place, and where his car is now, you might be closer than me in having the right idea.

Still, though, I'm a big believer in catching more flies with honey than vinegar. A shop could easily slime it's way out of responsibility depending on circumstances...as in, 'we didn't touch cooling system coz all you wanted was an oil change'

Air box out, though, makes me think maybe it was cooling system and some pulleys/WP. I don't know that your picture of doom and gloom need be correct though and don't want the OP to be freaking based on your post without hearing that his engine might not be toast...sounds like he turned it off pretty soon after going up to the red...hope so.

We'll hear soon I hope!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
high and hard......................lol............................... .....id be up one side and down the other on that mf...............wait till the waiting room is full too ,hehehe

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #25
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
I still think there is more to this story.... OP needs to tel us what the car was in the shop off and what was done ext. What if they did a checkout told him the headgasket was bad and customer declined repairs and went to pick the car up and try to drive it out.

You guys are going off half cocked without all the facts

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #26
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01330cisp View Post
Diy ftw
Seriously.
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
True.

This is why I NEVER leave my car at a shop, and no one touches anything unless I am right there under the car. I drive too fast to trust that some moron tech bolted everything back up correctly. I worked at a stealership when i was yournger- i know the drill.

I wouldnt settle for anything less that a full refund +$2500, or you go back at night with a can of gas.

Also, please post the name of the shop and the name of the manager/techs that worked on it so other fanatics know never to go there and hopefully you put these hacks out of business.

Heads need to roll on this.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
Quote:
I still think there is more to this story.... OP needs to tel us what the car was in the shop off and what was done ext. What if they did a checkout told him the headgasket was bad and customer declined repairs and went to pick the car up and try to drive it out.

It was in for a power steering pump.
Update: The shop payed for the tow back to their shop, and the mechanic who worked on it apologized...said he was tired and just neglected those things. what happened was the upper coolant hose was not attached correctly and when the coolant pressure got up it sprayed out. MAF was cleaned and it runs better than when it went in. i had a 500-600 rpm idle and slow response before but now its even at 750ish, and better throttle response.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
never drive away from any shop without popping hood and inspecting everything!!!!
+1
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBell330 View Post
It was in for a power steering pump.
Update: The shop payed for the tow back to their shop, and the mechanic who worked on it apologized...said he was tired and just neglected those things. what happened was the upper coolant hose was not attached correctly and when the coolant pressure got up it sprayed out. MAF was cleaned and it runs better than when it went in. i had a 500-600 rpm idle and slow response before but now its even at 750ish, and better throttle response.
Great news, C!

So, had you read opinions before going in...you go in like bull or wounded puppy?

I suspect I'm older than many around these parts and time and time again, I find that being reasonable and inquisitive rather than angry and accusative goes a long way.

Anyway, glad you're back on the road!

Doug

A recent set

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #31
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Great news, C!

So, had you read opinions before going in...you go in like bull or wounded puppy?

I suspect I'm older than many around these parts and time and time again, I find that being reasonable and inquisitive rather than angry and accusative goes a long way.

Anyway, glad you're back on the road!

Doug
I went in calm and respectful, talked to the owner, and explained what happened and that it was not professional to have a car go 5 miles away and break down. He agreed and payed for the tow before he even discovered it to be their fault, and fixed everything within an hour on their dime.
thankfully the engine temp only got to the red boarder for about 10 seconds before i shut it down....runs great now though.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #32
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBell330 View Post
I went in calm and respectful, talked to the owner, and explained what happened and that it was not professional to have a car go 5 miles away and break down. He agreed and payed for the tow before he even discovered it to be their fault, and fixed everything within an hour on their dime.
thankfully the engine temp only got to the red boarder for about 10 seconds before i shut it down....runs great now though.

Glad it all worked out. Everyone is Human and errors its how we fix our mistakes, that makes the difference.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #33
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Glad it all worked out. Everyone is Human and errors its how we fix our mistakes, that makes the difference.
Amen, more-or-less.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
Kubica

WHAT? So they screwed up your car and wasted a buunch of your time and possibly did permenant damage and all you got was your tow reimbursed?

Screw this.

You got played. They are laughing at you at that shop man.

I feel bad for you and your car. Don't go back there.

Last edited by Kubica; 03-26-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #35
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01330cisp View Post
Diy ftw
+1. And all you pay is beer!
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #36
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
WHAT? So they screwed up your car and wasted a buunch of your time and possibly did permenant damage and all you got was your tow reimbursed?

Screw this.

You got played. They are laughing at you at that shop man.

I feel bad for you and your car. Don't go back there.

They fixed everything on their dime.

Sounds like the shop took the time and made it right. Probably would've been nice to give the OP a partial refund or a discount on some future work, but it sounds like no permanent damage was done.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote