E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
KayakPuller

My Ride: 325i & 325xiT
How to Do a Smoke Test?

Greetings Everyone,

I've been dealing with a persistent oxygen sensor adaptation limit error on my 2003 325i. Having read numerous posts I see I need to do a smoke test to find the intake leaks that are triggering this error.

I have access to a good smoke machine, but I need to learn how to use it on the 325.

Could those of you how do know, offer any suggestions or links?

Thanks,

Juan Ochoa
Harvard, MA
KayakPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Smoke works for some things, however, I find that a better way is to get a cheap can of brake cleaner, the cheaper the better, and us that to spray around the intake and hoses at an idle. Your idle will usually smooth out and increase in RPM when you find a vacuum leak.

Make sure you use some sort of fender cover to keep the brake cleaner off the paint and it would be a good idea to remove the main plastic top engine cover to protect it from the brake cleaner as well.

Another option is propane, get a propane torch and use some vacuum hose to adapt the torch to allow you to put the vacuum hose in areas to test for vacuum leaks. But keep the torch upright so you do not dump liquid. Propane can be a bit more difficult and dangerous to use as well.

I have found unusual intake gasket leaks and other problems that a smoke test would not have located using the brake cleaner method. I find this method to be much more sensitive than smoke testing.

YMMV
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
On the other hand, I was NOT able to find this moderate leak in my lower intake boot by using the brake cleaner trick - I had to disassemble to find it. A smoke test might have worked, not sure. (in retrospect, the propane might have worked too).

nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I hear you on the intake boot crack, the problem is with the crack on the bottom it is hard to hit that spot directly with any kind of spray, however, that is such a well known problem, I would probably just replace the elbow at 4 years just to eliminate the problem.

How old are the boots when folks are typically seeing them fail?

I think age is more of an issue than miles with this type of thing. Also climate may play into the failure a bit.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
nborton

My Ride: 2000 328i
The crack on the intake boot is so common and usually REALLY easy to feel. It would be the first place I'd check. I had the exact same problem before. After that the spray test should work well.
nborton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
KayakPuller

My Ride: 325i & 325xiT
Thanks so much for the ideas and help.

When it is not raining and the engine is cool, I'll poke around and check for the boot problem. This winter, when it was really cold, the engine would whistle at certain throttle settings. Cracks this big would certainly do it.

Juan
Harvard, MA
KayakPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
What a nice clean pics. What a camira R U using. it's really helpfull.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nborton View Post
the crack on the intake boot is so common and usually really easy to feel. It would be the first place i'd check. I had the exact same problem before. After that the spray test should work well.
+1
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
But I have Q.
Is it necessary to change the sealing every time you remove the DISA?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
dirtbike59

My Ride: 04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi View Post
But I have Q.
Is it necessary to change the sealing every time you remove the DISA?
the seal is built into the disa.

I have seen disa leaks, intaske boots, oil seperator, and secondary air vac line
all cause the faults
dirtbike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
pull out the brake booster vacuum line from the booster, insert smoke probe in the hose. thats it.

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
dwebb99

My Ride: 330ci
Intake boot cracks are a common source of intake vacume leaks as these rubber parts age. Another problem with these particuliar codes is that you may need to reprogram your DME to the newest software. Indy or Dealerships can do this for a small fee...$75 at indy shop.
dwebb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
pull out the brake booster vacuum line from the booster, insert smoke probe in the hose. thats it.
Mind giving bit more info on this?

Basically here's whats going on
I just got "P0171 and P0174" Codes via Hand held Reader and "SAE Code P0189|BMW-Specific Code 228|Description Fuel Trim Bank 2, O2 Control Adaptation Limit" via CarSoft and based on the research it looks like I either might have:

a) Vacuum leak
b) Dirty MAF
c) O2 sensors about to go and not responding quickly enough but still good not to throw CEL (car has 90k miles)

I am really pointing to vacuum leak as I have small idle issue (when coming to stop, once in a while idle drops to 500, the goes up, then bit down, then it finally settles). My car is supercharged

I've found the shop that will smoke test my car but I want to make sure it's done right. I believe there are two tests that can be done. Obviously one test to smoke my intake and 2nd to test crankcase, correct?

So my questions are:
1) To test intake for leaks, hook up smoke machine to intake hose that goes SC unit?
2) To test crankcase, hook up smoke machine to top of dipstick tube?

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, oxygen sensor, smoke test