E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
bpiersma

My Ride: E46
UPDATE//CONCLUSION
Just got a new fan from BMWPartsWeb.com (I ordered Wednesday night, it arrived Friday morning...awesome...free shipping, no tax to CA).
First, I connected it but did not install it (just had it sitting on my engine) to see if upon startup, the thing would go on at 20% as my Bentley's manual indicates it should. It did not.
Then, with it installed, I shorted out the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose to see if the computer would read that the temp is very hot, ergo turn on fan...it did not.
Finally, I put it all back together with the new fan, drove like mad with the AC on, and pulled over and let it idle to simulate sitting in traffic, and lo and behold, the fan turned on.
CONCLUSIONS:
1) for some reason, the computer does not kick on the fan as a diagnostic check as the manual says it should
2) shorting out the temp sensor is NOT an accurate way to test whether or not the temp sensor is good/bad
3) my fan was indeed toast, and that is why I had intermittent overheating in bumper to bumper traffic. The plastic cover on the FSU looked warped as though it had actually fried inside.
4) there really is no conclusive way to test the fan for functionality without replacing the whole thing. This is a bummer because some of you fanatics have overheating problems that *could* be fan related but could be some other component such as the temp sensor. Seems like if you have overheating when in traffic and have checked your thermostat and bled the coolant appropriately, you probably have a fan issue.

Hope this helps someone. PM me if you need any more information about my specific situation
Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
canaryM

My Ride: is strong like bull
I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I changed the t-stat, coolant, etc. no dice. Long story short, my fan was bad. I ordered a BOSCH fan from pelican I believe and my problem has been solved. The siemens fan that I took out of the car looked like crap compared to the BOSCH. DIY is ridiculously simple. Took me about 10 minutes +/- to change.

///Sport Package | Nav | Park Distance Control | LED tails
///M3 Lip spoiler | Adaptive Xenons | 62 LED Angel Eyes
canaryM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronic, fan, overheading, overheat, radiator