E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
qaisdev

My Ride: 318 ci SE
318 Ci Idle Problem

Hi ,
I have 318 CI SE 2003. It has done 45k miles and had inspection II done last week.
Even after this service my problem has not been solved.

First it used to rev to 2000-3000 before settling down without throttle pressed on on idle.
Usually on traffic lights when i stop.
I cleaned MAF but no luck..

Also when i slow down MPG needle fluctuates like goes to 20-30 and then back to 50 up where it should be , usually again while stopping on red lights.
Please any advise will be appreciated.

Also does 318 ci se 2003 has ICV so that i can clean it ?
qaisdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
shh197

My Ride: 318
Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this as I am having exactly the same problem with my 2002 318(N42)?

Cleaned MAF but no luck - next on the list is the oil seperator and hoses.

Cheers.
shh197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
qaisdev

Hi,
No noting yet. My car is still same. I am taking her to a inde garage next week.
I'll post outcomes as soon as it will be done.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
shh197

much appreciated - likewise if I get it sorted will let you know.

Cheers.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
qaisdev

HI,
Just went to a garage and they said that it might me some programming problem. So i am going to take my care to BMW and hopefully they will sort it out and i'll let you know what was actually wrong with it.
Cheers
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
shh197

Ok thanks - My oil seperator and one of the hoses are on back order from Germany and should get these middle next week. I replaced one of the hoses which was totally clogged up - but it still isn't right although it hasn't revved itself up since but mpg gauge is still same as yours - interestingly the fluctuation is more pronounced when the engine is cold. Cheers.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
qaisdev

Well went to BMW and they did all check. They said that all is fine and nothing wrong with my car.It has stopped revving by itslef.I have also gone for ultimate petrol.
I think my old tank was having some bad fuel.
Well all seems fine now and hopefully all will go good.
what about you ?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
shh197

Hi, Glad to hear it's sorted. The rear hose on mine was split - changed this and it is all ok now.

Thanks for the posts.

Cheers.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
spoonboi

My Ride: 328i CI Coupe
Hi I'm having exactly the same issues now after getting my car serviced at the local garage. It wasnt happening before and also the garage say its nothing to do with the service. We spent all day changing radiator temp sensor and also MAF sensor but still no fix.

Can you tell me which hoses I should check? How can you tell if there is a leak on one of the many hoses?
spoonboi is offline   Reply With Quote