E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviman View Post
will this work on 1999-2000 radios?
yup. They also make them for BMW 3 series back to 1995.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
delmarco

(added and tested Auxiliary Input cable)

Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #23
delmarco

Last edited by delmarco; 03-07-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #24
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Another awesome video !!!

btw - with my parrot and audicom SW101, my ipod does not pause when i am on the phone like it does with your connect2 cable
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
homerbrew

My Ride: 2005 325Ci Conv
I just purchased a USA-SPEC PA12-BMW yesterday (found a place here in Phoenix that sells them for $100 out the door). I replaced my DICE with this, and I have to say the sound quality is night and day. The USA-SPEC has no sound quality issues at all, no buzzing, no tics, wider sound spectrum, and isn't that really the most important thing about a music device? I am really liking the sound!

I do have one minor issue with it, and that has to do with text display when it is on AUX. I like having the iPod displaying the text, but I don't see any reason to continually display P 06-01 and AUX the whole time the AUX channel is selected. It would have been better to display AUX to show that you are on it, and the let the clock display, that is something the DICE did, that I liked.

I had to change my OEM Sirus to my plug and play, since my Sirius internet access ran out on my account, and I need to listen to Stern at work :-) So, I will be using the AUX about as much as the iPod, and if it isn't displaying song titles, then it should display nothing and allow the clock to display. Other than that, I am really glad I made the switch, so far so good. Assuming I won't have to a battery reset every month or two, I will stay a happy customer.
homerbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #26
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbrew View Post
I just purchased a USA-SPEC PA12-BMW yesterday (found a place here in Phoenix that sells them for $100 out the door). I replaced my DICE with this, and I have to say the sound quality is night and day. The USA-SPEC has no sound quality issues at all, no buzzing, no tics, wider sound spectrum, and isn't that really the most important thing about a music device? I am really liking the sound!

I do have one minor issue with it, and that has to do with text display when it is on AUX. I like having the iPod displaying the text, but I don't see any reason to continually display P 06-01 and AUX the whole time the AUX channel is selected. It would have been better to display AUX to show that you are on it, and the let the clock display, that is something the DICE did, that I liked.

I had to change my OEM Sirus to my plug and play, since my Sirius internet access ran out on my account, and I need to listen to Stern at work :-) So, I will be using the AUX about as much as the iPod, and if it isn't displaying song titles, then it should display nothing and allow the clock to display. Other than that, I am really glad I made the switch, so far so good. Assuming I won't have to a battery reset every month or two, I will stay a happy customer.

Yeah. The USA-Spec is 100% better than the DICE for sound quality.
I mean I prefer sound quality over Playlist management any day.

I think it displays the P 06-01 and AUX intermittently on the display to let you know where you are in terms of the location within the USA-Spec.

It still displays AUX with the P 06-01 on the display so its no big issue in regards to performance

Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #27
steve.325i

I have had the USA-Spec in my car since April/09 ... not once have I even thought about doing a battery reset -

On two occasion I have had the HU display NO MAGAZINE when I switch to iPod mode. BOTH time where right after my wife borrowed my car. I have NO idea how she did it but ...

Both time i was able to correct the behaviour by pulling either #7 or #41 fuse ... I don't remember which one but I know it was the 5A one, not the 30A.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
delmarco

Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #29
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Delmarco - wrong BMW part number for the aux cable. Well kinda of. The part number you show will work, but it was the original part number released in Europe (and in Canada for some reason even today). It costs like 70 dollars US.

A newer part number 82110149389 came out that is typically 30-39 dollars US. That's the one to get (for NON-nav).

Or better let make your own as in the "Let's DIY Aux cable" thread for 0-5 dollars!
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #30
Bimmaniac32

My Ride: '05 ZHP
looks good, but the whole 5 playlists thing is a deal breaker for me... Need access to all my music on the fly.
I'm still a fan of navigating from my ipod. Since i still have a 5th gen ipod it does not lock when plugged into the DICE, which is great.
Only reason i havent bought a new, larger ipod is because i want to be able to navigate from the ipod itself.
Bimmaniac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
homerbrew

My Ride: 2005 325Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmaniac32 View Post
looks good, but the whole 5 playlists thing is a deal breaker for me... Need access to all my music on the fly.
It is nice to have all the functionality of the DICE, but sound quality was my main concern. I had a DICE for about 2 years, and the sound (dit-dit-dit and the constant engine noise) drove me nuts. I was able to reduce the noise by quite a bit, but no matter what it was always there. Then the battery resets were also a pain to have to do periodically. It is a shame they didn't spend too much time engineering the hardware to eliminate those problems, it would have been a great device. But, ultimately it is a sound device, so if it can't do that right, then it isn't doing its job.

I had to finally sell the DICE and get the USA-SPEC and am happy I did, the sound quality is excellent. For me, I normally listen to all my music in random mode, so losing all the other navigation options really didn't bother me.
homerbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #32
DSeyf

My Ride: b6s4
Does the iPod turn off, or do you manually have to turn off the ipod every time? I'm unaware if these iPod hook ups turn them off, especially this one since it continues playback from where you left off. Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #33
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeyf View Post
Does the iPod turn off, or do you manually have to turn off the ipod every time? I'm unaware if these iPod hook ups turn them off, especially this one since it continues playback from where you left off. Thanks
It stays powered on, with backlight off, in pause. For the flash based nano / itouch this is not an issue.

I assume for the harddrive based versions that the HD powers down when in pause. Can anyone comment?

The iPod is being fed power from the USA-Spec so no worries about battery power.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #34
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Only gripes I have so far:

1. When I disconnect the ipod, plug it in in the morning and start the car, it starts on playlist 5, but it's not really playlist 5, it's just a mishmash of all the songs on the ipod. Kind of annoying

2. Sometimes the playlist numbers will get mixed up (i.e. if I navigate to playlist 2, it will play songs from playlist 5, and vice-versa)

3. You have to hit the random button every time you switch playlists, rather than it just staying on.

All these things are minor and I like the kit so far.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:02 AM   #35
delmarco

Another quick demo video showing that the USA-spec works with the parrot ck3000/ctppar007 integrated bluetooth AND BMW integrated Sirius Satellite Radio on an Alpine BMW Business CD53 head unit:

Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #36
delmarco

It seems customers indeed have a preference for sound quality, ease of use, sleek and simple interface over playlists and catergorizing song play back in their car. The Sponsors need to LISTEN to what the people WANT and start pushing this product either over the Dice or alongside the Dice!

Steve325i has been saying it. I have been saying it....

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #37
steve.325i

delmarco, you rock man!!! Awesome demo.

The best part is where your girlfriends tells you not to shout
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #38
MetallicCarrot

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Thanks for the write-up delmarco.

That was a massive amount of info you posted. I've done a few DIY's (not car-related) and I know how much work goes into pictures and write-ups. Props for the instructions.

That said, I spaced out completely when it got to the data link screenshots. The sirius-specific and firewall wiring, pull through, glovebox, etc. was a tremendous amount of overkill for me.

I really wish that the DIY was posted in a more linear manner for readability's sake.
Something like:
  • Here are the precautions. Disconn your HU and batt. If you don't, you will fry your shiz. (this kind of needs to be first, in red, and not 3/4 of the way through a 50 step install, IMHO)
  • Here is the main install. Take data link cable from here, plug this, this and this into your USASPEC. Plug in your ipod here. Test. If it works, and you don't mind your ipod in the trunk, you are done.
  • Here is what you want to do if you have Sirius also.
  • Here is how to locate your front wiring / ipod.

I'm not trying to slight your DIY because, again, I know how much effort goes into these. There is a ton of excellent info there , just for me it was a very difficult read. Halfway through I was wondering what Sirius had to do with it (which you explained later). Does anyone have a link to just the plain jane installation instructions?
MetallicCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #39
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
It's real simple. Start in the trunk on the drivers side where the CD changer controls are. Plug the data cable into those two changer cables (impossible to get wrong), route the data cable up into the glove box as delmarco showed, plug the data cable into the USA Spec box and mount it somewhere behind the glovebox, then route the actual iPod cable from where ever your iPod is located to the USA Spec box and plug it in. That's pretty much it.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #40
MetallicCarrot

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Thanks Hartman.

So it sounds like if I want to leave the iPod in the trunk, this should be a 15 minute install.

I have an old iPod Mini that no longer plays from the headphone jacks, so I don't bike or work out with it. I'd prefer to not pull the radio/glovebox. This is exactly what I wanted to hear and I can piece together the pics of the changer harness. Thanks!
MetallicCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote