E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #201
doubledees

My Ride: 2005 M3 Jet Black
Can someone please tell me there is a button lock that I accidentally pressed? Turned on the car today and none of the buttons work on the screen, like its not sensing my touch. Side buttons work but its useless bc I can't get to any of the sub menus, frigger.

I don't want to have to send this back pleeeease.
doubledees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #202
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledees View Post
Can someone please tell me there is a button lock that I accidentally pressed? Turned on the car today and none of the buttons work on the screen, like its not sensing my touch. Side buttons work but its useless bc I can't get to any of the sub menus, frigger.

Did you try pressing the reset button on the lower right front of the unit. I believe you need something very small to press it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	353516  

Last edited by mass03m3; 03-25-2010 at 07:30 PM.
mass03m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #203
doubledees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
Did you try pressing the reset button on the lower right front of the unit. I believe you need something very small to press it.
Yep tried it resetting it several times, and still wouldn't sense the touch on the touch screen. while I'm trying to jam everywhere on the screen I'll get momentary sub screens and it'll go back to the screen I was orginally on, can't access anything on touch screen. This is pissing me off. Not sure if I should take the headunit out to check connections, I was trying to avoid that bc of the bundles of wires. Man, I just have this feeling I'm gonna have to RMA this thing.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #204
mass03m3

Quote:

If the reset doesn't work. try this:

Take remote control
enter the settings menu
choose touchscreen calibration
recalibrate the touchscreen

or try a hard reset:

unplug all power to the unit for 5 minutes.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #205
doubledees

Quote:
If the reset doesn't work. try this:

Take remote control
enter the settings menu
choose touchscreen calibration
recalibrate the touchscreen

or try a hard reset:

unplug all power to the unit for 5 minutes.
I'll try that, after I reset it all settings went back to default, so you hear the annoying beeping of every touch. So I know the screen is sensing my finger bc its beeping, it just wont access what I touch, its supposed to light yellow for selection I get nothing.

Thanks mass.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #206
mass03m3

Quote:
I'll try that, after I reset it all settings went back to default, so you hear the annoying beeping of every touch. So I know the screen is sensing my finger bc its beeping, it just wont access what I touch, its supposed to light yellow for selection I get nothing.

Thanks mass.
Good luck. I hope it works. I would hate to see anyone have to send one of these back. It's hard enough getting em!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #207
doubledees

Quote:
Good luck. I hope it works. I would hate to see anyone have to send one of these back. It's hard enough getting em!!!

Wow, I feel stupid, calibrated the screen with the remote and it worked again.
Why'd it do that in the first place??!!

Thanks Mass, so glad I didn't have to pull the sucker out.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #208
mass03m3

Quote:

Glad to hear it worked!!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #209
Comanche5

My Ride: BMW 330ci ZHP
Props to mass03m3!!!

Quote:

Comanche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #210
mass03m3

I tried taking the knobs off the dynavin unit today but gave up before I broke them. I put my Business unit knob in front of the dynavin Knob and they look about the same size. The unit would def. look better with the business unit knobs on it but I can't figure out if the knob is glued to the post or if it is all one piece. Rather than taking pliers, and trying to pull it off with the risk crushing it, I took dental floss and tried to get behing the knob to try to pull it out. Unfortunately, There is a lip on the back of the knob which prevents me from getting the floss behind it.
The only way I see to get these off is to somehow take the faceplate off to get better access with the floss. or Pull the knob off with a pair of pliers and risk destroying it. I wish I knew if these were glued on or just a one piece knob. All dyanvin says about this is "knobs don't come off". Probably should leave well enough alone.

By the way: on my unit, I realized that both knobs will turn the dynavin on when you press them. I thought just the power knob would do this but the phone one also does it.

Last edited by mass03m3; 03-30-2010 at 09:03 PM.
mass03m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #211
m3collins

My Ride: 2002 Carbon Black M3
Saw dynavin make this post on their bbs:
You can plug our headunit directly to the car, your HK system will work. You will need 5M fakra car loom only if you have original car monitor .thank you

What does that mean? Does it mean I need to get something special if I have the OEM Navigation radio (which sucks btw)?
m3collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #212
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
Saw dynavin make this post on their bbs:
You can plug our headunit directly to the car, your HK system will work. You will need 5M fakra car loom only if you have original car monitor .thank you

What does that mean? Does it mean I need to get something special if I have the OEM Navigation radio (which sucks btw)?
Yeah, You need to buy this 5m interface from www.cardvdkit.com(I think this is the only place you can get it) for $50 if you have oem monitor/navigation with bm54 unit. Basically, You need to connect this interface to the oem wiring harness that originally went to the bm54 unit located in the trunk. Then run interface to front of car to the dynavin unit and plug in to back of unit.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #213
m3collins

I was just planning on getting rid of the Navi unit and the CD player in the trunk. So I can't do that?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #214
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3collins View Post
I was just planning on getting rid of the Navi unit and the CD player in the trunk. So I can't do that?
not sure if there is a connector in the dash if you do that.
but they have that extension adapter so you can connect to the harness that's in the trunk. someone posted they also needed a longer cable for the antenna too, not sure if that's going to be an issue for those who have to connect in the trunk instead of us in the front center dash??
Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #215
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I tried taking the knobs off the dynavin unit today but gave up before I broke them. I put my Business unit knob in front of the dynavin Knob and they look about the same size. The unit would def. look better with the business unit knobs on it but I can't figure out if the knob is glued to the post or if it is all one piece. Rather than taking pliers, and trying to pull it off with the risk crushing it, I took dental floss and tried to get behing the knob to try to pull it out. Unfortunately, There is a lip on the back of the knob which prevents me from getting the floss behind it.
The only way I see to get these off is to somehow take the faceplate off to get better access with the floss. or Pull the knob off with a pair of pliers and risk destroying it. I wish I knew if these were glued on or just a one piece knob. All dyanvin says about this is "knobs don't come off". Probably should leave well enough alone.

By the way: on my unit, I realized that both knobs will turn the dynavin on when you press them. I thought just the power knob would do this but the phone one also does it.
never noticed the other knob turning on/off. have to give it a try.

i'm not sure you could even use another set of knobs. from what i can tell these are rotary knobs that spin as the center of the knob has another base. so it's like a two function/two part dial/knob. i just kept mine as they are as they aren't nearly as bad with the shadow-chrome finish compared to the bright chrome on the Audi design.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #216
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

i'm not sure you could even use another set of knobs. from what i can tell these are rotary knobs that spin as the center of the knob has another base. so it's like a two function/two part dial/knob. i just kept mine as they are as they aren't nearly as bad with the shadow-chrome finish compared to the bright chrome on the Audi design.
It seems that it is built the same way as the cd business unit which uses the one piece knob that you push for power and spin for volume. I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the Dynavin is a 2 piece knob that the center operates independent of the outer ring? Mine just seems to be one piece attached to a post like the cd business unit?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #217
newspec

My Ride: Mspec 325i 2001
Hey guys i am looking at one of these unit's (6 or so months away yet) and i just have a couple of questions.

1), My car is a 2001 325i with business single cd head unit, Are these Dynavin units just plug and play to the existing harness.

2),Is it easy to relocate the climate control down to where the sun glass holder is to accommodate the new unit.

3),What mapping system do you guys use, I am under the assumption that it does not come with any builtin gps software. As i would need something that would come with maps of New Zealand.

4), Are you able to create your own skins for the device or are they preset and all you can change is the colour layout.
newspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #218
m3collins

Read through this....all your answers are in the reading but here goes

1) Yes
2) You have to get a kit that relocates what you need.....read up on it.
3) It comes with Igo gps from what I understand.
4) I think you can change a few skins. www.dynavin.com go to the bbs and read up.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #219
newspec

My Ride: Mspec 325i 2001
nice thanks for that info.
newspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #220
Alex323Ci

Quote:
It seems that it is built the same way as the cd business unit which uses the one piece knob that you push for power and spin for volume. I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the Dynavin is a 2 piece knob that the center operates independent of the outer ring? Mine just seems to be one piece attached to a post like the cd business unit?
Thanks
I checked again and it looks like they aren't two piece like I initially thought. So let me know if you do end up switching the knobs, i'm not gonna be the first one to try as if it doesn't work it could be a mess.
BTW, the right knob on my unit does not turn off the radio. Checked this to, only the left does that on my unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspec View Post
Hey guys i am looking at one of these unit's (6 or so months away yet) and i just have a couple of questions.
1), My car is a 2001 325i with business single cd head unit, Are these Dynavin units just plug and play to the existing harness.
2),Is it easy to relocate the climate control down to where the sun glass holder is to accommodate the new unit.
3),What mapping system do you guys use, I am under the assumption that it does not come with any builtin gps software. As i would need something that would come with maps of New Zealand.
4), Are you able to create your own skins for the device or are they preset and all you can change is the colour layout.
1)Yes.
2)Yes, bmw makes a relocation console which runs about $75 and comes with a new ashtray compartment and cover.
3)It comes with iGo (but you can use others if you have access to). You can download your NZ maps also using iGo that is provided.
4)On the main unit start-up screen Dynavin says you can not change that(which doesn't matter much since it's not on very long at all). But for the iGo and you can change that one to custom if you follow some editorials on it. Some of the Menus in Navi also have a feature to set up from a list of like 20 choices.