E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Fairness in thread titles--a tiny rant

Folks,

I try to help whenever I can...and when titles indicate 'please help' 'OMG what do I do?' 'Emergency...please help' I always will make the time to read and see if I can help.

Seems like of late people express emergency 'cries of help' for non-emergencies and it doesn't seem fair to me.

I could be wrong, and nothing personal to the poster...but there's one today about needing a e-brake handle and boot and I can't see how that's an emergency, unless someone broke or otherwise stole the existing handle.

In the last week, seems like there were a few 'panicked' titles about picking what color to paint calipers or which bumper to select or an 'emergency' about not knowing what mod to spend money on.

I'm sure I'll get flames, and that's fine, I'm used to this place. Just don't flame me and expect me to graciously help you with an issue I otherwise might be able to...my memory is pretty good (no, I don't keep a 'banned' list !) and so is my experience with our model.

You've heard of the 'crying wolf' story...I'm just 'pitching' a little fairness in thread titles is all. I'd like to invest my time for our community efficiently and we all need to pitch in to make it work for all of us.

Soapbox mode off! Thanks for listening to my rant.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
I'll to that. I always notice you helping folks as you've got a wealth of knowledge from hands on work on you ride. Don't think this thread will help with the issue, there will always be noobs and thus always false advertising. Frustrating, maybe, but it'd be just as easy to ignore them and move on once you've notices it is not an actual "emergency" post.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
I'll to that. I always notice you helping folks as you've got a wealth of knowledge from hands on work on you ride. Don't think this thread will help with the issue, there will always be noobs and thus always false advertising. Frustrating, maybe, but it'd be just as easy to ignore them and move on once you've notices it is not an actual "emergency" post.
Admittedly, I identify the non-emergencies pretty well...if I see the words "color" or "bumper" I move on...and although I'm pretty cool about this stuff, thought a friendly reminder to our newer members wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the drink, btw, Jman. Scotch or my favorite, a Black & Tan?

As our cars get older, we all know that younger guys will be driving them, and the 'mod' posts in general also, I think, decrease the signal to noise ratio...as I've often said, the best looking bmw is the one that's on the road moving...much better than the 'badest' looking ride sitting up on jack stands!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
As long as we are on this topic, we might address the multi-year members with only a handful of posts, who use the forum to resolve problems and NEVER do a final post to let everyone know what the final solution to the problem was! These greedy people need to be BANNED!!!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
dmax

+1 330!

...and it's not just that they're 'drive by' members with only problems, and that they don't 'document' which solution of the many usually offered did it (if any?), but that they don't give back, even in small measure by helping someone with a similar problem.

Even noobs that have resolved issues can 'pay it forward' by 'nursing' along others with similar issues...some do. You noticed the noob today...first post...knew about realoem, posted picture...don't expect all to be like that, but come on people...do unto others...

Doug

Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
^^^^Agreed
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
330I6SPD

Another thread title that needs to be severely curtailed is the "This or that REVIEW". A review is NOT replacing worn out, OEM parts with aftermarket parts then stating how much better the cat feels! If you want to do a "review", get NEW OEM parts, install, drive, test, remove OEM, install aftermarket parts, drive, test, THAN REVIEW!!! If you are "reviewing" items such as CABs or suspension parts and such, you will also need to get an alignment after EACH install (to IDENTICAL settings...NO less). If it's not a review, do everyone a favor, DON'T call it one!!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Im fairly new to this forum, but not forums in general. I think we could use a few more sub-forums, considering we have ~161,000 users I dont think the site has nearly as many sub-forums as other sites (svtperformance) this size.

Perhaps a "911 emergencies" forum? (hope there isnt already one, lol)

OP, completely agree people shouldnt freak out over some things...
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
like the guy who HAD to get the part numbers for his shift boot. lol.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
DCJodon

My Ride: na
ZOMG HALP!

*click*

oh hai, i can haz part numbro for florr matz? k thanxz.
DCJodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
330I6SPD

Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
^ Too true.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
dmax

Ah, DC, that reminds me of another issue...those who make fun of those who either have English as a second language or those who's native tongue is English, but they either weren't as well educated as reader, or typing on phone in an emergency.

If you want to help, keep that spirit; if not, don't insult people as if, if they can't speak English, that they're not as smart, educated, and or deserving as you who know English. Last I heard, BMWs sold in other countries, even those where English isn't spoken.

Members make fun often (happened today) of those who are in a US state and don't write so well...last I heard, we have people from other countries here.

Maybe one of the sub-forums should be for those who can only write in perfect English.

Also, reflecting on the 911 forum, I'd be concerned that so few would stop by there, since everything presumably would be an emergency. At least in General we get a mix...and the most viewers...thus the most knowledge. I think what'd be better is for mod questions to go in that forum...same with tires, etc. There are a lot of forums I think...just postings in the wrong place...but doubt that'll really change much.

Doug

Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
...(no, I don't keep a 'banned' list !)
You're too nice, Doug. I've only been on here a month and I've already got a list! 5 or 6 a-holes with a total IQ of maybe 400. But hey, more power to you. You're doing great.

BTW, Snowcat is on my list but only because he says stuff like "Ay, you hoser" and "Let's go oat". JK, Snowcat.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #15
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Well another thought is a "technical questions" forum and then a "performance parts" discussion. Its like that on another forum I frequesnt...
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
dmax is right! Doug, you helped me on my VANOS issue and I am very grateful!

+1 on adding a conclusion to your problem, so people don't need to start a new thread to figure out the solution!

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
smoke96

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Admittedly, I identify the non-emergencies pretty well...if I see the words "color" or "bumper" I move on...and although I'm pretty cool about this stuff, thought a friendly reminder to our newer members wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the drink, btw, Jman. Scotch or my favorite, a Black & Tan?

As our cars get older, we all know that younger guys will be driving them, and the 'mod' posts in general also, I think, decrease the signal to noise ratio...as I've often said, the best looking bmw is the one that's on the road moving...much better than the 'badest' looking ride sitting up on jack stands!

Doug
i dont know you, but i can always respect good taste in beer.

[QUOTE=Back2Basics;11538236]So you're gonna have your food delivered to you while you sit at your computer screen on the 112th floor responding to questions about dildo's and sex lube's while strangers fill your bank account to acquire the tools needed for their sick, guilty pleasures?
That's pretty ****ing legit man.
smoke96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgTouring View Post
dmax is right! Doug, you helped me on my VANOS issue and I am very grateful!

+1 on adding a conclusion to your problem, so people don't need to start a new thread to figure out the solution!
That's funny, I don't know the first thing about the VANOS!

...JK!

I remember you Tiag, but don't remember how I helped...probably moral support. My VANOS seems like a distant memory...this CCV/radiator/icv/TB/oil filter housing gasket marathon adventure of mine was the toughest but most rewarding journey yet.

So, did someone suggest a 'jerk forum' let them all keep themselves occupied?

..."what color" forum...including any aesthetic mods.

I am actually thinking of not helping those with the wrong political views...meaning too far to one side (I'll let you wonder!).

Mostly though, I'd like to be able to help and know I'm being a little selfish thinking that's what's most important is keeping the cars working...not looking prettier, or going faster (should've gotten that other car), or height off the ground for looks...but just working.

So Tiag, you really should be careful listening to me...I can sound very authoritative without knowing anything...watch out!

Doug

Old 04-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke96 View Post
i dont know you, but i can always respect good taste in beer.
Thanks, Smoke.

My son loves your town...the PO in particular. It has a beautiful set of stairs which my son likes a lot...2 up 5 down...4 up 7 down!

Doug

Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
smoke96

My Ride: 2004 325ci
maybe ill see him around, im always shooting cause all my buddies still ride bmx, i got out of it though.

[QUOTE=Back2Basics;11538236]So you're gonna have your food delivered to you while you sit at your computer screen on the 112th floor responding to questions about dildo's and sex lube's while strangers fill your bank account to acquire the tools needed for their sick, guilty pleasures?
That's pretty ****ing legit man.
smoke96 is offline   Reply With Quote