E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.84 average.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #241
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
im installing right now, taking pics and noting problems, ill have something to post once Im done and everything is working, give a day or two as I want to put together a single dynavin thread with only factual info to replace the three we have going now.
that would be great. btw are you installing the reverse camera today aswell?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #242
BG in NJ

My Ride: 06 AW/Cinn M3 Cab.
Does anyone know if the navigation has voice turn by turn capabilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
yes it does.
you can turn the volume down or off for this if you don't want it
Thanks,
Received mine today and will hopefully get it installed this weekend.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #243
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Without any for the price caveats, is it better then the OEM nav? I really like that it is about $2,000 less and doesn't require a new harness, but the Dynavin system seems too sketchy. Also, can you see the artist/song name when playing music off the iPod? And can one scroll through artists/songs from iPod on the deck? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.

Last edited by Tate325xi; 04-05-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more questions.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #244
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
two quick questions still kinda on the fence on the unit

1. when navigation is on and the turn by turn voice directions is on does the music stop playing while navi talks or do both play together?

2. for bluetooth i know steering wheel controls work but if the phone u paired to the unit supports voice command, can you use voice commands to call someone?

Basically does dynavin bluetooth work just like the factory one??
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #245
Jagular

My Ride: '04 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate325xi View Post
Without any for the price caveats, is it better then the OEM nav? I really like that it is about $2,000 less and doesn't require a new harness, but the Dynavin system seems too sketchy. Also, can you see the artist/song name when playing music off the iPod? And can one scroll through artists/songs from iPod on the deck? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the Dynavin nav is better than the OEM. The OEM GPS technology is circa 2000, maybe older. I have the iDrive nav on my '04 645 and my wife's Droid navigation is better.
Jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #246
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
EDIT: I MOVED MY INSTALL WRITEUP TO A NEW DYANVIN INFO THREAD, HERE:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=754606

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-06-2010 at 12:08 PM.
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #247
phildo1219

^ can u post a diy IF you happen to install the LOC i wanna see how the wiring is cut and incorporated with the dynavin wiring thanks!
phildo1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 AM   #248
jeffb325

I think I should start a new thread and move my previous post to it for a start, ill add in the stuff about installing a LOC, then add the newly edited question/answers from the original TR_MS3 post. One source for current dynavin info, not a hundred pages of people arguing over who worked for who and radio bleed issues. Then I would just edit the original post if any unanswered questions come up.

EDIT: DONE, NEW DYANVIN INFO THREAD, HERE:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=754606

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #249
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
that would be great. btw are you installing the reverse camera today aswell?
no reverse camera for me, my lexus has one, and it needs it. I can see just fine in the bmw however.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #250
damills

My Ride: 02 m3 06 m3ic,325cia
Quote:
no reverse camera for me, my lexus has one, and it needs it. I can see just fine in the bmw however.
Thanks Jeff, did you let the a/c controls cycle thru turning on/off when checking the clearance on the a/c arm. I could have had mine too far down, wasnt screwed down at the time when mine hit the arm, when the car first came on, cant remember what mode but know the arm moved, thats when I noticed the arm hit the dynavin.

I would suggest everyone that once the unit is installed and screwed down, leave the glove box out and play with the a/c controls switching between all modes to make the air come out different vents and also between low and max air just to make sure there are no clearance problems, also watch when turning the car on and off, it could have just been me because I didnt have the unit screwed down properly is why mine hit.

If using the RCA's only produces good sound, I may take another stab at it, dont have to reply here Jeff, Ill wait for your other write-up, you have alot of good info just in your one post, thanks!

P.S. I also have the non-HK, your car looks really clean, what year and miles, specs, just curious?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #251
BG in NJ

My Ride: 06 AW/Cinn M3 Cab.
Quote:
I think I should start a new thread and move my previous post to it for a start, ill add in the stuff about installing a LOC, then add the newly edited question/answers from the original TR_MS3 post. One source for current dynavin info, not a hundred pages of people arguing over who worked for who and radio bleed issues. Then I would just edit the original post if any unanswered questions come up.

Thoughts?
Jeff,

Thanks for the fantastic write up, pictures and review! Your install looks nice and clean.

Disappointing to hear about the iphone and itouch not synching correctly. Of course I just got an iphone and the contacts synched perfectly with factory business CD head unit.

Iím installing mine in a convertible, do you think the glare will make it unusable.
Iím also ordering the 3m anti-glare film.

Thanks again,
Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #252
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:

Thoughts?
Thanks for the info Jeff!

You dont have the BMW assist functionality by chance do you?

I have it on mine although I currently do not subscribe to the service. If I go the Dynavin route I would really like to have a seamless 'OEM like' installation for resale/future purposes. Do you have any experience or ideas with making the BMW assist functionality work with aftermarket solutions?
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #253
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post

P.S. I also have the non-HK, your car looks really clean, what year and miles, specs, just curious?

Thanks, I take care of it. Its a 2002 coupe, 80k miles, I bought it used from the original owner, a lawyer with 5 cars, who used the BMW as his "road trip" car. I replaced the steering wheel and the shift knob with the M/ZHP versions. Very nice stuff.

You didnt see the back seat though, I have a 2 year old daughter I clean it regularly but I still try not to look back there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG in NJ View Post
Jeff,

Thanks for the fantastic write up, pictures and review! Your install looks nice and clean.

Disappointing to hear about the iphone and itouch not synching correctly. Of course I just got an iphone and the contacts synched perfectly with factory business CD head unit.

Iím installing mine in a convertible, do you think the glare will make it unusable.
Iím also ordering the 3m anti-glare film.

Thanks again,
I am also going to try the anti glare film, I will edit my post once its installed. I dont think a vert will be any worse (cant be really) as I am getting a direct reflection of the back window. I do wish the adress book worked right and it probably will with some phones, but with my iphone its a mess. It does keep recent calls though so your common numbers are pretty easy to access and this part works correctly.

As for the ipod, im still working on that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
Thanks for the info Jeff!

You dont have the BMW assist functionality by chance do you?

I have it on mine although I currently do not subscribe to the service. If I go the Dynavin route I would really like to have a seamless 'OEM like' installation for resale/future purposes. Do you have any experience or ideas with making the BMW assist functionality work with aftermarket solutions?
I do not have BMW Assist and I dont know how it functions, sorry. If it is integrated with the head unit in any way it will of course not work, but if it is inline between the HU and the amp, it just might work. If someone posts who knows how it works I will add the info to the post.

Last edited by jeffb325; 04-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #254
laureynsr

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Question Almost there in getting the Dynavin.. BUT!

Hi Everyone,

First of all, Jeff, this thread is AWESOME! Secondly, Iíve been itching to trash my factory MKIV NAV for a while because it is so NON-Intuitive. I needed to add the POS Dicelink as an iPod adaptor which has been nothing but a nightmare since I got it. Been through 2 already, they always fry my electrical system, latest problem is it now shorts my left turn signal. It also resets my playlist every time I connect my iPhone to it. No other iPod/iPhone devices I own do that and it really annoys me.

The other problem with the OEM NAV is the cost of adding Bluetooth support. So I have to use a Parrot minikit box, which works but does not sound too great. I know Dynavin was making a 5 meter cable to connect the unit to the rear audio bus for factory NAV systems too. Hopefully it works.

Can anyone tell me if the Dynavin E46 has:
  1. Decent iPhone support for controlling tracks, changing playlists and search?
  2. Does not reset current playlist when connecting or switching sources. (Biggie to me)
  3. Has good quality Bluetooth sound.
  4. Traffic updates for NAV
  5. Sound quality is on par with factory audio with HK speakers and amp.
I really appreciate your feedback on these.

Thanks

Ray
Lights: Bi Xeonon, clear corners, clear sides
ICE: Dyanvin DVN-E46 v5, w/HK 12 speaker, Infinity Baselink and Proclip 5v iPhone mount.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world." Albert Einstein
laureynsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #255
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
I do not have BMW Assist and I dont know how it functions, sorry. If it is integrated with the head unit in any way it will of course not work, but if it is inline between the HU and the amp, it just might work. If someone posts who knows how it works I will add the info to the post.
Thanks JeffB
I had read somewhere before that it is inline @ the factory amp and the only thing the head unit accomplishes is the visual indicators of when you are connected and the like (something I could live without). However I do not know if this information was accurate or not. Hopefully someone who is familiar with how the BMW Assist actually uses and integrates with the sound system can report back.

Last edited by GCoop; 04-06-2010 at 01:03 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #256
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

Can someone please answer these two questions... Im really close to buying this thing...

1. when navigation is on and the turn by turn voice directions is on does the music stop playing while navi talks or do both play together?

2. for bluetooth i know steering wheel controls work but if the phone u paired to the unit supports voice command, can you use voice commands to call someone?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #257
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
Can someone please answer these two questions... Im really close to buying this thing...

Thanks in advance
1: nav interupts music, they do not play over one another, there is a current thread on dynavins site discussing this, dynavin says it is hardware limitled.

2: I do not see a way to voice dial with the steering wheel buttons on my iphone 3gs. My parrot bluetooth would voice dial if I pressed the "talk" button. Does not work with the dynavin. At this point I am just dialing with my phone.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #258
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by laureynsr View Post
Hi Everyone,

First of all, Jeff, this thread is AWESOME! Secondly, I've been itching to trash my factory MKIV NAV for a while because it is so NON-Intuitive. I needed to add the POS Dicelink as an iPod adapter which has been nothing but a nightmare since I got it. Been through 2 already, they always fry my electrical system, latest problem is it now shorts my left turn signal. It also resets my playlist every time I connect my iPhone to it. No other iPod/iPhone devices I own do that and it really annoys me.

The other problem with the OEM NAV is the cost of adding Bluetooth support. So I have to use a Parrot minikit box, which works but does not sound too great. I know Dynavin was making a 5 meter cable to connect the unit to the rear audio bus for factory NAV systems too. Hopefully it works.

Can anyone tell me if the Dynavin E46 has:
  1. Decent iPhone support for controlling tracks, changing playlists and search?
  2. Does not reset current playlist when connecting or switching sources. (Biggie to me)
  3. Has good quality Bluetooth sound.
  4. Traffic updates for NAV
  5. Sound quality is on par with factory audio with HK speakers and amp.
I really appreciate your feedback on these.

Thanks

Ray
1: tracks and playlist work
2: the iphone interface is a bit flaky..... most of the time it starts at the first song on my iphone, alphabetical, but not always, havent made sense of it yet.
3: bluetooth works fine.
4: no traffic, that requires some kind of real time connection to the internet or satellite and the dynavin has neither.
5: sound quality is not good if you just plug and play....read up on these threads.....install a line output converter and you will be in good shape, dyavin is producing a fix however so I will tentatively say quality is better with caviats...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #259
g4LLiT0

My Ride: 99 Bmw
does euro spec have any more available?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #260
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

Quote:
1: nav interupts music, they do not play over one another, there is a current thread on dynavins site discussing this, dynavin says it is hardware limitled.

2: I do not see a way to voice dial with the steering wheel buttons on my iphone 3gs. My parrot bluetooth would voice dial if I pressed the "talk" button. Does not work with the dynavin. At this point I am just dialing with my phone.
Thanks jeff for the response i appreciate it.