E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Home made engine support for motor mounts?

Folks,

I know I need motor mounts and want to do them myself and have read many diys on it. They all seem to say, push the engine up from oil pan (with wood block on it)...but I know that my dealer uses a brace to hold engine, I'm thinking (haven't seen it), that it goes between strut mounts like an front brace and it mounted on engine from the engine support hook in front. Then, they drop the front (subframe I think--'he' said four bolts drop something to get to mounts...I'm thinking maybe the whole axle drops?)

First, is that understanding correct so far?

I'm concerned about pushing up the engine and messing things up...like with my new trans. mounts, and, you know, all the hoses/wires, etc.

Given that, I've been thinking about the possibility of making an engine support brace out of something like a 2x6 or maybe two 2x4 sistered together...with some way of locking into shock mounts and a monster bolt gong through to bracket.

Totally crazy idea? You now what part I'd need to drop...and then what would drop on me if I go through with this...and finally, I'm thinking that whatever bolts I'm removing would be one-time use only...technically. Should I absolutely replace with new bolts...or thread lock enough? Would I need to support whatever would otherwise drop on me (of course) and if so, how?

Sorry...need my next diy and can't avoid being ocd about it!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
bishop1977

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP S/C
Just use a Jack and lift one side at a time
bishop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
dmax

Bishop,

I know everyone says that, but it still freaks me out a little...thinking about stresses involved...and weight...it'll be bolted at the trans mounts and on the motor mount I'm not replacing...so the engine just lifts up on the motor mount side I've loosened...when jacking from the oil pan...while held at three other points.

I guess I'm not either 'getting' that part, or don't trust that the engine can move a few inches and the trans mounts and guibo 'play along' and take the flexing.

Thanks for your effort, Bishop...it really does sound straightforward...though I know the pass side mount seems to be much tougher than on the left side.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Hi Doug. You're going thru more work than necessary by making your cross brace engine support & then unbolting the engine cradle to get at the engine mounts. Besides, it will be harder to get the engine cradle back up to its position to bolt in, & yes its OK to reuse those bolts. No need for Loctite. It is an easier diy if you jack up the engine by the oil pad with a block of wood to gain access to the mounts. Typically you will have about 2-3 inches b4 you really even start to stress anything. Chas
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
Hi Doug. You're going thru more work than necessary by making your cross brace engine support & then unbolting the engine cradle to get at the engine mounts. Besides, it will be harder to get the engine cradle back up to its position to bolt in, & yes its OK to reuse those bolts. No need for Loctite. It is an easier diy if you jack up the engine by the oil pad with a block of wood to gain access to the mounts. Typically you will have about 2-3 inches b4 you really even start to stress anything. Chas
Chas,

I always go through more work than necessary...but lots of that is cleaning! LOL

Anyway, I wanted to hear the 2-3" I guess, more than anything. So, if you don't mind my asking, and no prejudice one way or the other, but are you a mechanic or an avid diyer like me? And, if the latter, do you recall the diy you depended on most...or Bentley. I'm going to read everything over before I mount the mounts, but would appreciate a recommendation to something that evidently worked well for you!

Loosen one side and remove the other...or only loosen one while other is still snug?

Sorry to bother you...but crib notes are nice too!

You've helped me before, I know...I hoped I've returned the favor in some way previously...if not, I'll make a point of doing my best by you in the future!

A recent set

Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
The engine support here has been used by a few:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96524
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Is there any diy for this?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
ChasCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Chas,

I always go through more work than necessary...but lots of that is cleaning! LOL

Anyway, I wanted to hear the 2-3" I guess, more than anything. So, if you don't mind my asking, and no prejudice one way or the other, but are you a mechanic or an avid diyer like me? And, if the latter, do you recall the diy you depended on most...or Bentley. I'm going to read everything over before I mount the mounts, but would appreciate a recommendation to something that evidently worked well for you!

Loosen one side and remove the other...or only loosen one while other is still snug?

Sorry to bother you...but crib notes are nice too!

You've helped me before, I know...I hoped I've returned the favor in some way previously...if not, I'll make a point of doing my best by you in the future!
Hi Doug, No bother at all, I always like your common sense approach to others for their issues. Just to trying to help another DIY'er. I have been an auto shop owner for the last 26 years. & have been in the auto repair field for about 48 yrs. The engine cross bar motor mount method is easier IF you have the right equipment. Other than that, the average diy'er can do this job without the engine cross bar mount. Just do like I said. Jack up the engine with a 2x4 or other comparable wood block, & the replacement should go fairly easy. My AllData repair manual says to drop the engine cradle, but that is if you have the proper engine brace & the cradle brace to line up & reinstall the engine cradle to it's proper position. For the diy'er, it's easier to just jack up the engine. Hope this helps, Chas
Old 04-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
Hi Doug, No bother at all, I always like your common sense approach to others for their issues. Just to trying to help another DIY'er. I have been an auto shop owner for the last 26 years. & have been in the auto repair field for about 48 yrs. The engine cross bar motor mount method is easier IF you have the right equipment. Other than that, the average diy'er can do this job without the engine cross bar mount. Just do like I said. Jack up the engine with a 2x4 or other comparable wood block, & the replacement should go fairly easy. My AllData repair manual says to drop the engine cradle, but that is if you have the proper engine brace & the cradle brace to line up & reinstall the engine cradle to it's proper position. For the diy'er, it's easier to just jack up the engine. Hope this helps, Chas
And nice credentials too! 48 years? So I guess I should, as you say, 'do like I do.'

It helps a lot...except for my final question...of course...I keep the jack at the same position on the rear end of the jack pan...or do I move it from side to side...or some entirely different place closer to the mount I'm replacing on the engine cradle or something else? Yea, I know you're thinking I probably shouldn't do this, but I'm sort of looking forward to it!

A recent set

Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
ChasCan

No Doug. Just jack up the engine square. Not off to one side or the other. You should be fine with this method & it should give you enough room to replace both mounts. Chas.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
The engine support bar is now on sale for $59.99: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html

Picked this up last weekend and also used the 20% off coupon so it knocked it down even further.

Just did the engine mounts this weekend and definitely worth the $50 in time and aggravation.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
idk if you did this yet but it's not as scary as it first seams.
i was a little freaked out too but it's pretty straight forward.
just a tip! keep your hood open. don't want to dent your hood from the inside.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Doug this is probably more crazy then GN's MDF jack stands. Engines weigh a lot, please dont put your life at risk with a home engineered wood cradle. Get the Harbor Freight one.
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
jacking the engine puts a lot less forces on it than it sees bouncing around with the car in motion.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
I used a phone book on the jack when I did the motor mounts on my friends car
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Not sure if the 328 engine mount is the same as the one on my 325, however when I reinstalled my OEM headers, there was barely enough clearance to put it back in. It has two bolts coming out of the center, one faces the top and the other towards the bottom.

The only solution I found, without jacking up one side of the engine beyond my comfort zone, was to disassemble it. I mounted it onto the engine first, positioned the top bolt in the hole, and used a small lever to insert the bottom bolt. At this point I was essentially using my one hand pushing up on the engine, and the other on the lever (guiding the bottom bolt in its hole).
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Not sure if the 328 engine mount is the same as the one on my 325, however when I reinstalled my OEM headers, there was barely enough clearance to put it back in. It has two bolts coming out of the center, one faces the top and the other towards the bottom.

The only solution I found, without jacking up one side of the engine beyond my comfort zone, was to disassemble it. I mounted it onto the engine first, positioned the top bolt in the hole, and used a small lever to insert the bottom bolt. At this point I was essentially using my one hand pushing up on the engine, and the other on the lever (guiding the bottom bolt in its hole).
If this is for the passenger side, you do know that you could just take off the engine mount bracket and slide it over the top hole first and then secure the bracket itself.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
If you are gonna buy something then you may as well buy an engine hoist.
You can always loosen your transmission mounts and disconnect the driveshaft if you are really freaked out (but those guibo nuts are single use for sure).
You'll be surprised how much play you get on these rubber mounts - all you need is about 1.5 inch to get the mount out.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
The engine support brace wont help you. When you install new engine mounts you need to actually raise the engine a bit to get them out. The engine support brace only does what it does , support, it doent raise.

Put a block of wood under the oilpan and raise the engine with a jack until you get them out. Nothing is gonna happen , dont worry , you're not gonna mess up any wires and your oil pan wont crack or break . Done it many times

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
If this is for the passenger side, you do know that you could just take off the engine mount bracket and slide it over the top hole first and then secure the bracket itself.
That sounds like what I did when installing BB headers. With the huge OEM headers there was almost no clearance, making it next to impossible to install the mount without taking it apart.
As they sit right now, there is probably about 5-8mm clearance between cats and that passenger side mount.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote