E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #41
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Why the facepalm? I don't get it...
That wasn't directed at you. Sorry, I can see how it would be perceived as that. I'm just saying that if were talking about stock e46's, this question is a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #42
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
7. Buy a new set of rotors and a set of PFC 01 pads (use this only for the track)

For each track event, I'd change out the brakes (rotors and pads) with the track ones and stick on the track tires.
I'm curious why it is necessary to swap out the rotors in addition to the pads. I just use my stock pads on the street and my PFC-01 pads on the track but with the same rotors.

Will I get better performance with a separate set of rotors? Do you think a separate set of rotors is necessary for both the front and rear?
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #43
wallie330i

My Ride: 330i
I guess I shouldn't have sold my 330i! Having owned the 330 in the past, I'm a little reluctant buying the same thing again and I was hoping that the M3 would provide greater benefits. Also, if I were to buy the M3, would I be better off with an smg or manual?
wallie330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #44
wallie330i

My Ride: 330i
Also, are there years to avoid for a 330 or M3?

With regards to the e36 M3s, I can never see myself paying that much for a car that old. I would rather buy a new car than over pay for an old car when compared to the original MSRP/depreciation/age. But I guess "over pay" is a relative term that depends on demand vs supply.
wallie330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #45
SpeedDemon

If you get a 330 then try to go with 2002+ but the newer the better (2005/2006 are basically the same though)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #46
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I'm curious why it is necessary to swap out the rotors in addition to the pads. I just use my stock pads on the street and my PFC-01 pads on the track but with the same rotors.

Will I get better performance with a separate set of rotors? Do you think a separate set of rotors is necessary for both the front and rear?
SpeedD, the reason for swapping out rotors is because your street pads have impregnated the rotors with there "material". If you ran your race pads on virgin rotors or rotors that have only seen that material, your stopping power will increase. In essence, your PFC-01 will be
more effective.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #47
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
When beating on an E36, going off track (hard) or missing a shift, hopefully no damage, the ECU Never gets upset & goes into limp mode. The E46 has more difficulty with this, there's a much greater chance that the ECU will go into limp mode, wrecking that session or race for you.
I'm only a single data point, but I've never had this issue or heard of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
SpeedD, the reason for swapping out rotors is because your street pads have impregnated the rotors with there "material".
Also you can get rotors dirt cheap($55 fronts and $30 rears), I've got $35 front rotors on my car now.

If you put your money in the right places, stay on top of preventative maintenance, and do a thorough pre-track inspection 330's can be incredibly reliable. I can't remember missing a session or race in the past 5ish years.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #48
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
I take my car to the track...its the best! I always have a great time.

+1 for having a extra set of pads and rotors for the track only. I felt more stopping power than just swapping pads.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #49
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
Also you can get rotors dirt cheap($55 fronts and $30 rears), I've got $35 front rotors on my car now.
I just bought some Meyle rotors on BMA Auto Parts site and it came out to about $140 after shipping for 4 new rotors. I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

Swapping rotors isn't hard I once you already have the caliper off; I probably should have been doing this all last season

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 03-15-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #50
Project330i

My Ride: in awesome cars.
Car: sedan I personally feel is better balanced than a coupe + lighter.
330i ZHP excellent base car, has awesome steering ratio = great for autoX
Or add to 330 schrick cams, intake & exhaust (for better lower RPM grunt)

Suspension
255/35 18 rubber at 4 corners
dampers + springs (Koni = adj dampering - research spring rates for your needs)
Sway bars adj for track (I like Hotchkis they're the thickest)
Adj sway bar links front/Rear for aligning
LSD (limited slip w/ 3.38 or higher for better control & gearing for autox)

oh and those concerned with brakes, add fluid and stainless steel lines, stock is good... but you will emit clouds of brake dust and possibly need new pads by the end of a session...

- you will destroy an M3 on the track w/ the setup above... i mean destroyyyy... as long as the M3 doesn't have to many straights to kick in all 333hp.... Either way, you will be one worthy contender to any subaru sti, evo, etccc

Good luck!

Last edited by Project330i; 03-15-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Project330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #51
SpeedDemon

FWIW, I just got my four $30 rotors from BMA Auto Parts ($140 after shipping) and they look great. I'm looking forward to giving these things a try on track. As far as I can tell, they look identical to the extra set of Zimmerman rotors that I have sitting in my closet; the vanes look just slightly rougher but that shouldn't be an issue. If these work out then this is just another awesome reason for how cost effective it can be running a 330 on track.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 AM   #52
Doz M3

My Ride: 04 Steel Grey M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallie330i View Post
I guess I shouldn't have sold my 330i! Having owned the 330 in the past, I'm a little reluctant buying the same thing again and I was hoping that the M3 would provide greater benefits. Also, if I were to buy the M3, would I be better off with an smg or manual?
I would say smg because it will give you alot less to think about when you start tracking. you will be able to focus more on your line and braking points rather than worrying about heel toeing or when to downshift.

plus when you eventually turn it into a full track car the smg will be faster

Evosport Pulleys, Orion angel eyes, Ground Control race sway bars, Ground Control FCAB, Powerflex RTAB
Doz M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #53
Rich V

My Ride: BMW
Do the harmonic related issues seem to be limited only to the m54b30? Are the m52tu and m54b25 less prone to oil pump and squirter failure when used for heavy track use? Trying to decide what route to go with on my e46 sedan build...TIA!
Rich V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #54
lilaznman35

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Have you ever considered not getting a BMW for a track car?
lilaznman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #55
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich V View Post
Do the harmonic related issues seem to be limited only to the m54b30? Are the m52tu and m54b25 less prone to oil pump and squirter failure when used for heavy track use? Trying to decide what route to go with on my e46 sedan build...TIA!
To avoid double posting, this thread seems like a good place to go for this:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=754668

From what I've read it looks like M54B30 + hardened oil pump + stock flywheel + stock redline = A-OK even on pure track cars.

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 04-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote