E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
thatsonlyme

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Sport pkg
blitzsafe aux adapter trunk wiring diy (with photos)

Well, finally I figured, after 2 years of using this forum to learn everything I needed to know about my car, it is my turn to give a little contribution to the community.
Even though this is very simple diy and I believe most of you guys don't really need to be told how to route piece of cable from the trunk to your center console, here it is, take it or leave it:

First off, let me skip disclaimer, you know the drill, I'm not responsible... yada, yada.

I decided to go with BLITZSAFE Aux adapter instead of DICE for three reasons. First, it was half price of the DICE, second I don't really use Ipod but rather listen to my music on my phone and third, I don't care or need song names displayed on the radio.
My radio is pre 09/03 so I had to go for the trunk install.

Here is the tools you need: flat head and phillips screwdriver, small torx screwdriver (dunno what size it doesn't say on it), small wire cutters, soldering iron and solder, some electrical tape (or heat shrink tubing if you prefer) and a piece of metal wire for fishing the aux cable.

Also you need: Blitzsafe Aux adapter ($75), 12ft audio Y cable ($10), RCA stereo cable ($5-10 if you want retractable) and 3.5mm stereo phone jack ($5 for 2 of them @ radio shack)
DSC_2695

Here we go:

Once you pop your trunk you might want to start by removing tail light assembly.
DSC_2696 DSC_2697
I didn't and I started pulling the carpeting out which resulted in broken clip on my tail light assembly.
DSC_2698DSC_2699

Using flat head screwdriver, remove two rivets holding the carpeting and pull the carpeting out.
DSC_2704

Be careful not to break plastic clip in the corner. I couldn't figure out how to remove it but it wasn't necessary anyways.
DSC_2707

Locate cd changer harness and plug it in your blitzsafe adapter to make sure it works properly. Plug in your mp3 player and press mode or CD button on your head unit until it shows CD 1-99. You should be able to play music through your speakers at this point.
DSC_2705DSC_2706

Now it's time to do a little wire cutting and soldering. first I used ohm meter as continuity tester to find out where to solder wires on my phone jack. You need to use common sense to figure this out as I can't explain it in simple words. Feel free to add detailed explanation to this diy if you want to.
DSC_2709

Then I cut the cable
DSC_2710

and determined where each wire has to be soldered on the phone jack.
DSC_2711

solder it all together and wrap it with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.
DSC_2712DSC_2713

Now remove the back seat by pulling it out. Sides can be slightly bent for easier removal.
DSC_2708

Remove the corner of the back seat by pulling out at the bottom first. It is clipped in place and feels like it's gonna break if you pull to hard.
DSC_2715

You don't want to route your cable through this hole because the seat clips in there! Notice where other wires go and use that route instead.
DSC_2716

Plug Cd changer harness and y cable into your blitzsafe adapter, bundle it together with some zip ties and you can also zip tie adapter itself on the chassis. Route the cable to the cabin.
DSC_2717DSC_2718DSC_2719

Now it's time to start taking apart center console. Let's start with the rear ashtray. Simply pull it out, disconnect the harness and remove two phillips screws. My center console was FILTHY as you can see, so I cleaned everything up upon assembly.
DSC_2720DSC_2721

Remove the shifter boot by pressing from both sides and lifting it up. Unscrew two phillips screws and remove the trim. Under the trim you will find another two screws. remove them as well
DSC_2722DSC_2724

Remove the e-brake boot in the same fashion as shifter boot and remove plastic trim that holds rear ashtray in place. This trim has sharp edges so be careful not to scratch your armrest or your seats.
DSC_2725DSC_2726

Removing center console will require some fiddling and playing with armrest so take your time on this one.
DSC_2727

Remove sunglass tray by applying pressure upwards and pulling it out.
DSC_2728

Remove two phillips screws and pull entire assembly out. disconnect the harness and cigarette lighter.
DSC_2730DSC_2731

Now that we had done all this hard work, it's time to take a little break. So why not go fishing? Cable fishing that is.
I fount it to be easiest if you stick a piece of aluminum wire under the carpet, starting near e-brake and pulling it out on the other side, then hooking up your soldered cable and carefully pulling the aluminum wire back.
DSC_2732DSC_2733

Now simply route the cable to the front. 12ft was perfect length for this job.
DSC_2734DSC_2735

I was so excited at this point that I forgot to take pictures of a few steps in a process. However, it's very straight forward and you shouldn't have any problems figuring this out.
Remove button assembly by unscrewing two torx screws and remove front and rear panel using a flat head screwdriver.
DSC_2736

Cut the hole on the back panel and stick phone jack through it. I made this ugly cut because I was using dremmel and wire cutters, but it doesn't bother me as it will be hidden behind the dash anyway.
Now the part that is not pictured, carefully position and drill the hole in the front panel for the phone jack. Stick the threaded part of the jack through and secure it with provided nut.
DSC_2737DSC_2738

At this point it's probably a good idea to test if everything works properly.
DSC_2739

Reassemble everything in reverse order and you're all done!

here is a few photos of finished install:
DSC_2740
I'm very happy with my new setup. Sound quality is great and I don't have any cables hanging around.

Let me know what you think
thatsonlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.