E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #41
02330XI

My Ride: 330XI and Road King
I am going with 19's next month to close the gap in the tire/fender without lowering as I do not want camber issues, even worse ride then tire wall thickness alone causes, more stress on CV joints, etc. But price from 19's to 18's is somewhat minimal. If you want cheap, go with 15's...........13's even. But why even own a BMW if you want to be cheap??? Makes no sense.
02330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #42
Carlman

My Ride: 2005 325i Stock
Best bang for the buck I've found is cheap, light-ish 18's with good tires for my sedan. I can get a set of ASA's at 23 lbs. per wheel plus some ok tires around 1100, installed and shipped. Or, I can just buy another set of Toyo Proxes in 205/55/16 and save 600 bucks. I think the stock 16's are in the low 20lb range... But they won't look anywhere near as cool. I don't think the performance will suffer with the bigger wheels but I'm going to ask around. I don't track but I do autocross from time to time.

I plan to weigh the wheel tire combos when I change and see what the difference really is.

To the point of the original topic... I think 19's look good on the M3's. However, they look a little too 'stuffed' otherwise... plus the thin sidewall could be an issue for me.

-C
Carlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #43
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
why people go 19"? some people do it to fill the gap between fender and rim/tires. You can solve that by lowering the car.
Some do it for looks alone. As for unsprung weight, true. The more weight the more power loss effect. Which is why big rims that are lightweight costs alot.

I have 2 pairs of rims 16" each. The original rims for 325 e46 are heavy, I use them for winters. The lighter bbs style feels at least 4 lbs lighter. When I swapped my winters out for all-season (they came with my car, so no need to get summers until these wear out), I could feel the performance difference right away. Acceleration is more responding.
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #44
starsky

My Ride: 2001 325i
So if I get 19s on my sedan, I won't have to drop it? Thanks
starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #45
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
you won't be required to drop it, but you might want to after you put them on. just looks nicer. click the link in my sig
Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #46
Carlman

I got the 18's on.. and sort of wish I'd gone with 235 instead of 225.. but I don't know if it would've rubbed anywhere... just would've sat nicer on the wheel. The polished lip really stands out in person.

Also, weight went up a bit more than I hoped. Stock rim and (fairly worn) Toyo tire was 39.5 lbs., and the new combo is about 47 lbs. So I gained 7.5 lbs. per corner... ouch. It still handles nicely, just a little different. It kind of neutralized the overall responsiveness, which I didn't mind, not as twitchy, ok for a daily driver. I'm playing with air pressure now to get it where I want it.. But acceleration suffered a little... braking is ok.. everything else seems fine.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for... and BMW knows how to dial in their cars at the factory. My car handles quicker than stock.. but it's like the poor man's Sport package..
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #47
Baddd 330ci

My Ride: 2003 M3 6MT
So is there a big difference in
Steering Responsiveness (agility) ?
Acceleration ?

Between my OEM 17" staggered M Sports http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...MSportRims.jpg
and
VMR CSL Reps staggered 18" Like this guy's http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...areChampio.jpg

I was going to switch to the reps this summer in 18's. I'm dropped already.

Proud supporter of our site sponsors: ///F1 Autohaus ///Tischer BMW Parts ///ECS Tuning ///Khoalty
Baddd 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #48
Carlman

I haven't driven enough to say for sure.. but at the moment I'd say the weight gain negates a little of the agility so it's overall only a slight improvement (if any) in steering responsiveness (turn-in specifically). Once I get a chance to put more miles on it with some more air in the tires, I might be OK..
Right now I'm doing 33 Front and 35 rear. I might go 35 F and 38 R..

Acceleration is a little slower off the line but it seems strong/normal/good after it gets moving. It's not a huge difference but it's a difference. Lesson: Buy light wheels and tires.

-C
Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #49
chmiel21

My Ride: 2004 325i
I am debating 18' vs 19' VMR (either VB3 or V710 not sure yet) on my 325i. I will be lowering if it will still get up my driveway, which is a *****, even for my buddies Golf at stock height with a front lip. I do not track my car, but will power be noticeable on the highway say when flooring it up the onramp? I am coming from a 100hp jetta so as long as it's got more kick then that for now...
chmiel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #50
smg330

My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
Nothing??? Try dropping over $1000 on 2 rear Viper tires!
haha been there done that
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #51
mimalmo

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP 6MT
Worth reading...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept