E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
ransomed

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
anyone regret buying Michelin Pilot AS tires?

I have read the threads regarding Michelin and Continental All Season tires, and the pros and cons of AS tires over Summer tires. I have a 330i ZHP in Atlanta. Very rarely snows.

I have been running the original Michelin Pilot Sports. I have no complaints regarding the tires other than durability. I am getting ready to buy new tires and am thinking about the Pilot Sport AS tires. In my mind if I can get 90% of the performance and twice the useful life over a summer tire, then I will be satisfied. I have always had good luck with Michelin tires and have them on every car we own.

My question is, has any one opted to buy the Michelin AS tires and then regreted the decision? I know everyone voices their opinion when the question is asked, but I want to hear from the folks that bought the tire after weighing the options. I will be buying new tires in the next 45 days and would appreciate the input. Thanks

2004 330i ZHP-AlpinWeiss-Natural Brown Leather-6MT
Dinan Signature Package - High Flow Intake, High Flow Exhaust, Stage 2 Software, Front Strut Brace
ransomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. They are great a/s tires. Very predictable handling & grip. Great in light snow & very good in the rain. Couldn't be happier. Great tire IMHO. Chas.
PS: Raced them on the track. VERY predictable handling tire once you get the tire pressures right, however, my next track days are gonna be Nitto HT-01's. The Michelins cannot handle track days.

Last edited by ChasCan; 04-16-2010 at 07:30 PM.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
JustMadeTheCut

My Ride: bmw-yamaha
Hi, purchased continental DWS's about a month ago. Ive had plenty of wet days (some very wet). the tires have extremely good tracking in standing water and are probably the best AS ive driven. Did i mention theyre on 19''?! i felt the dry traction had a very good threshold for an AS and the ride is, again, extremely quiet! its a soft ride for a tire that supposedly lasts very long. check out some reviews online; i am confident they will all be positive. and thats saying a lot. on top of it all, they are relatively inexpensive.
there was a drawback for me though. The tread pattern looks like a true snow tire. It is capable of snow(how well; i hadnt found out). so with summer around the corner, I felt kind of stupid buying a snow tire. I ended up going back to the tire shop and exchanging them for conti DW's(after 1000 miles on DWS). These are the tires that are currently on my car. It is just as quiet as the DWS's and has noticeably better grip in the dry. I havent driven them in a downpour or pushed them too hard in the wet, but traction is very good. The tread pattern is a compromise of form and function(see tirerack.com for pix) they arent supposed to last quite as long as the DWSs but I am very happy with the purchase! I would highly recommend the continental DW extreme contact for Atlanta's weather.
JustMadeTheCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Carraway

My Ride: Over 150,000 miles
I had a set of Michelin Exalto A/S on a 2000 Accord Coupe. I don't regret buying them, but they did wear out far more quickly than they should have. (Unfortunately, I did my own rotations, so I couldn't provide receipts that that was done). I do drive in fairly rough conditions, including a rural dirt road and a tight parking garage. They would also squeal a bit while cornering in the parking garage, which I wasn't sure about. Other than that, they handled very well before the wear, but then they got scary in rain and ice; even seams in the road from construction would cause a little slipping). I wound up replacing them with Blizzaks last November, and just recently, decided to try Yokohamas. I'm still deciding on the Yokohamas, but I think they're pretty good, so far, and they don't squeal in the garage.

Last edited by Carraway; 04-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Carraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires mounted onto my Style 135M wheels and they are fantastic. One of the smartest and best tire purchasing decisions I've ever made. (they get used on my 325i for 3/4 seasons and then are on my ZHP in the winter)
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
the only thing i could say Michelin really lasts.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
330xiBoarder

My Ride: a car
i have them on my M3 and no complaints here
330xiBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote