E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #61
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Wooo my bike arrived, gonna try to put it together tonight, anyone have any idea what kind of tools im gonna need ?? Also im probably gonna take it to a mechanic to get it adjusted afterwards, how much do you think that will be?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #62
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Wooo my bike arrived, gonna try to put it together tonight, anyone have any idea what kind of tools im gonna need ?? Also im probably gonna take it to a mechanic to get it adjusted afterwards, how much do you think that will be?
Park tools makes bike specific tools.

http://www.parktool.com/

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #63
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
go to a bike shop and pick up a multi-tool, should be able to put it together with just that....if you need any specialty tools at this point, you'd be better of taking it to a shop

the shops around here charge ~100 for a full build.......might be half that if it's just adjustments
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #64
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Actually for a complete build they have to face the headtube and bottom bracket so the bearings sit flush, and it takes some experience to get bearing preloads correct. If you are handy you can assemble it mostly with common tools (mostly a variety of allen wrenches), but some specific tools are required (BB/HT facing, crank extractor, chain tool, shock pump, etc).

I personally only have the bike shop do one thing - true the rims. It's a PITA to do properly.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #65
LowDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Actually for a complete build they have to face the headtube and bottom bracket so the bearings sit flush, and it takes some experience to get bearing preloads correct. If you are handy you can assemble it mostly with common tools (mostly a variety of allen wrenches), but some specific tools are required (BB/HT facing, crank extractor, chain tool, shock pump, etc).

I personally only have the bike shop do one thing - true the rims. It's a PITA to do properly.
Havent looked at it yes cuz im at work, but it said that its only 15% that needs to be put on, so i hope i can do that my self :p how much are those multi tools?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #66
Ghostie

yeah, I think most bikes come with headset and BB preinstalled when you buy them complete (as opposed to frame only) so you shouldn't need to worry about facing etc

multi-tools are any where from 10-50 bucks (they're basically a Swiss-Army knife looking tool with Allen wrenches and a few other bike essentials)
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #67
Breyton-BMW

I have this in my saddlebag all the time.

Topeak Alien III

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 04-20-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #68
LowDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
yeah, I think most bikes come with headset and BB preinstalled when you buy them complete (as opposed to frame only) so you shouldn't need to worry about facing etc

multi-tools are any where from 10-50 bucks (they're basically a Swiss-Army knife looking tool with Allen wrenches and a few other bike essentials)
Cool so something like this should be good enough?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Bike-Tool/4645500

Its pretty far to the nearest bike shop
Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #69
kuksul08

Quote:
Havent looked at it yes cuz im at work, but it said that its only 15% that needs to be put on, so i hope i can do that my self :p how much are those multi tools?
Ohhhhh I see, so that probably is just things like handlebars and wheels, and minor adjustments.

I have a Park MTB-3 http://www.parktool.com/products/det...=11&item=MTB-3

Great for about $15, best tool company. Definitely get a full sized set of metric allen wrenches for working on the bike at home. The multi-tools are more for use on the trail.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #70
Ghostie

Quote:
Cool so something like this should be good enough?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Bike-Tool/4645500

Its pretty far to the nearest bike shop
yep

I wouldn't buy it from Walmart though, if it's anything like their bikes, it will probably break before your first use ends
Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #71
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
saw this bike at the store, for around 1150$ canadian, is this a good beginner moutain bike? i certainly like the way it looks.

this local store carries trek and devinci mostly, have 5 year free service and maintenance on the bikes. i'd like to buy from there, but i'm still looking for someone to make me a custom hitch/rack for my acura before i buy.

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/browse#3_18_44
Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #72
kuksul08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
saw this bike at the store, for around 1150$ canadian, is this a good beginner moutain bike? i certainly like the way it looks.

this local store carries trek and devinci mostly, have 5 year free service and maintenance on the bikes. i'd like to buy from there, but i'm still looking for someone to make me a custom hitch/rack for my acura before i buy.

http://www.devinci.com/bikes/browse#3_18_44

It looks okay for beginner stuff, but as you get better you will need something better. The components are low to mid level. It all depends what you plan to do with it.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #73
ara

going be a mix of road, i plan on going light offroading, no jumps and stuff for now. I just want to go out and ride in the nature up north, stuff like that, have a good fun bike.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #74
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
going be a mix of road, i plan on going light offroading, no jumps and stuff for now. I just want to go out and ride in the nature up north, stuff like that, have a good fun bike.
I would recommend getting a cross country or XC set up with the type of riding you plan to do.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #75
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
I would recommend getting a cross country or XC set up with the type of riding you plan to do.
would you please recommend a bike from the devinci line up? from the link i posted earlier? thanks

what makes the bike that i showed "not ideal" for my use?

trying to learn as fast as possible.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #76
Ghostie

I would think you'd be fine for a few years with that bike actually, keep in mind that the bicycle industry like every other uses the "trickle down" method with regards to their components......meaning that what is considered "mid-level" today was probably "top-of-the-line" 7-8yrs ago. I wouldn't bother upgrading anything unless it breaks (I used LX shifters on my bikes for years)

I'm not too familiar with Devinci, but I know that Trek for instance has a lifetime warranty on their frames so I'd personally lean towards them IF you can find a comparable price. But it doesn't look bad at all.....my first bike cost me 350 and I rode the crap out if it for a year and a half

Why do you need a custom hitch? uhaul installed my hitch a few years ago

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #77
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
would you please recommend a bike from the devinci line up? from the link i posted earlier? thanks

what makes the bike that i showed "not ideal" for my use?

trying to learn as fast as possible.
I'm not too familiar with Devinci but I can help you out with the Trek bikes if you want.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #78
ara

well i'd like a hidden hitch if possible, i'm going to a store this week to see what they can do. so if the hitch would face downward, then i could get a rack with a J or U shape that will connect to my downward facing hitch. this way when i'm not using the rack, no hitch shows.

kinda looks funny my new tl lowered on 20's with a hitch

the other questions i have.

1. i'm a big guy, the stock seat will lodge in my crack and never come back, what kind of seat would you suggest for someone like me 6'3 250 lbs, i want comfort while i'm not offroading.

2. the basic pedals that come with it can be upgraded from the store for 100$ or 50$ for some cheap clip on pedals, good idea to do from the get go correct? do they really help with pedaling? since you're pulling up wards instead of just pushing pedal
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #79
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
I'm not too familiar with Devinci but I can help you out with the Trek bikes if you want.
sure, i don't mind either, one thing i noticed is that the trek bikes have the top of the frame pretty straight towards the seat, whereas the devinci's are more sloped for easier mount/dismount

can you show me some you suggest on their site? i'd like to keep it under 1200$ for a first bike
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #80
Ghostie

Quote:
well i'd like a hidden hitch if possible, i'm going to a store this week to see what they can do. so if the hitch would face downward, then i could get a rack with a J or U shape that will connect to my downward facing hitch. this way when i'm not using the rack, no hitch shows.

kinda looks funny my new tl lowered on 20's with a hitch

the other questions i have.

1. i'm a big guy, the stock seat will lodge in my crack and never come back, what kind of seat would you suggest for someone like me 6'3 250 lbs, i want comfort while i'm not offroading.

2. the basic pedals that come with it can be upgraded from the store for 100$ or 50$ for some cheap clip on pedals, good idea to do from the get go correct? do they really help with pedaling? since you're pulling up wards instead of just pushing pedal

Have you considered a roof rack? I had the hitch rack on my old mazda, but when I got the e46, I was like "hell no I ain't installing a hitch on this" so I went with the roof rack....I think it adds to the "look" of the car personally

1) Seats are pretty personal since we're all shaped differently, no one can really recommend a saddle for you, just have to try them out. Again, I recommend riding a couple of times before upgrading since it takes a while to "break your body in"

2) clipless pedals improve pedalling efficiency by ~30% so they're definitely worth it.....post up which ones you're considering and I might be able to recommend. Keep in mind that, pedal type is another thing cyclists can never agree on....lol....so you will probably get a lot of different suggestions from everyone. no biggie

That bike is fine, you don't really need a full on XC rig at this point

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-20-2010 at 03:59 PM.