E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
95blkmax

My Ride: 00 BMW 328i
Send a message via AIM to 95blkmax
MeganRacing SSK Successfully Installed

Credits to xixixi for sharing the intel that although this SSK is advertised as per HPF's website for E36s, it fits perfectly fine on the E46. Only cost $45+ shipping.

Note#1- do not search for it by filtering your vehicle. Instead, search by brand [Megan Racing of course], then Short Shifters, and scroll down the application chart

Note#2- As per xixixi, he informed me that after some time with the shifter, the shifter was squeaking. Seems the lube that was on it had crapped out. He cleaned it up and re-lubed it with axle grease, and has had no issues since

Note#3- The SSK is held together with c-clips. It included a bag with two c-clips. So before I started, I went out and bought a c-clip pair of pliers... Dont bother. At least if installing it on a 328 you will not need it. They might be extras.

I was able to do all the removal and most of the assembly from the top. From the underside all I had to do was push the retainer pin back on (for this you do NOT have to remove any of the heatshield or driveshaft, you can reach the base of the shifter/ end of the selector rod with no problem... unless you drop the retainer or washer and have to remove the shield to find it... then you're just out of luck LOL!). So yes, BE VERY CAREFUL when you remove the retainer and the washer so as not to drop it on the shield and avoiding extra work. I was able to get them out from the top, but you could have someone loosen both from the top with a flathead while you're under the car with your palm around that juncture to catch the pieces .

PICTURES...

^ shows the difference between the stock E46 328 shifter and the Megan Racing shifter. I highlighted the difference not only of the height (about 3/4" shorter overall) but also the difference of how the MG SSK's pivot ball is about 1/2" higher up than the stocker (this is really what makes the shorter throws. More length under the point of pivot is able, so less movement from the top is needed).

^ I chose to use high-temp anti-seize as my "lubricant" for the shifter and for the outside of the base. I've used it successfully on other vehicles with no problem, even after 6yrs

^ empty and ready

^ here are those extra c-clips that I got. Also that's the plastic washer from the stock shifter right under the retainer. With it on, I could not get the retainer to catch the grooves. So out it went

^ Here's the only "downside". the shifter now is clocked CCW slightly lol. Really it makes no functional difference, but it's a visual annoyance. Doesn't bother me, but I can see how this could bother some of you picky people here lol. I know where my gears are so it doesnt bother me

Overall, awesome! For the price, even better! Install took me about 45mins WITH a beer break LOL. Shifter of course is slightly notchier, but I'd rather it be like this than feeling loose and disconnected from the tranny as with the stock shifter... shifts are still butter smooth however. The knob does sit lower. Throws are SIGNIFICANTLY shorter.

Great product, great price, butter to install, what else do you want? lol

Hi, my name is 95BlkMax, and I am a Boostaholic
"DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!!" O_o!
95blkmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I believe the shifter is that way to help avoid money shifts here is a link and if you look at the position of the shifter. It's pointed a lil away from you to help you not smash into the wrong gear. here is a link to better explain http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm just seems that it is suppose to be that way. either way 45 bucks you can't go wrong
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
95blkmax

Nice! funny that is the way I hold the shifter as I shift! But I was doing that because of how notchy my short shifter was on my old 02 Camaro SS. The habit just carried over lol. Thanks man

Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
zasada518

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to zasada518
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but how do you feel about this ssk now that you have had it in for awhile?
CTEUROTRASH
zasada518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
xixixi
Banned User

i recently purchased a hamann shift knob that is round so you can't even tell the shifter is a lil cocked to one way. For the money you can't go wrong.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
95blkmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zasada518 View Post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but how do you feel about this ssk now that you have had it in for awhile?
+1, understandable. I still love it! Still very "direct" in it's movement, slightly more feedback of course but i actually like it. Zero noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
i recently purchased a hamann shift knob that is round so you can't even tell the shifter is a lil cocked to one way. For the money you can't go wrong.
Is this shift knob any heavier than the stock knob? I thought about just driving down to AA and pick up their 8.5oz shift knob to compare it to mine. When one has a shorter throw, it is a nice compliment to have a heavier knob. Glides through gears like butter

Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
xixixi
Banned User

hard to say my old shift knob was coming off every time i hit second. this one isn't much better but i love the knob. I mainly bought it to get rid of the cocked look. you know how it is it's not worth 300 bucks if you gotta buy it but if you get a steal on a knob for couple bucks its worth it. imo