E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #81
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
kinda looks funny my new tl lowered on 20's with a hitch

wait! you don't have an e46???? dude GTFO!!!!

lol, kidding of course
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #82
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
well i'd like a hidden hitch if possible, i'm going to a store this week to see what they can do. so if the hitch would face downward, then i could get a rack with a J or U shape that will connect to my downward facing hitch. this way when i'm not using the rack, no hitch shows.

kinda looks funny my new tl lowered on 20's with a hitch

the other questions i have.

1. i'm a big guy, the stock seat will lodge in my crack and never come back, what kind of seat would you suggest for someone like me 6'3 250 lbs, i want comfort while i'm not offroading.

2. the basic pedals that come with it can be upgraded from the store for 100$ or 50$ for some cheap clip on pedals, good idea to do from the get go correct? do they really help with pedaling? since you're pulling up wards instead of just pushing pedal

1. Saddles are a personal thing. What may be comfortable to me may not work for you.

Check out this thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=selle+wtb

2. I use shimano spd cleats but but if I'm riding on really technical trails, I use platform pedals. Recreational riders have varying opinions on pedals though. You decide.
http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

Quote:
sure, i don't mind either, one thing i noticed is that the trek bikes have the top of the frame pretty straight towards the seat, whereas the devinci's are more sloped for easier mount/dismount

can you show me some you suggest on their site? i'd like to keep it under 1200$ for a first bike
With your budget, I would go with a built bike. I would suggest an XC hardtail which doesn't have a rear suspension.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6500/

Be sure to have a bike shop fit you for your proper size bike.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 04-20-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #83
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Have you considered a roof rack? I had the hitch rack on my old mazda, but when I got the e46, I was like "hell no I ain't installing a hitch on this" so I went with the roof rack....I think it adds to the "look" of the car personally

1) Seats are pretty personal since we're all shaped differently, no one can really recommend a saddle for you, just have to try them out. Again, I recommend riding a couple of times before upgrading since it takes a while to "break your body in"

2) clipless pedals improve pedalling efficiency by ~30% so they're definitely worth it.....post up which ones you're considering and I might be able to recommend. Keep in mind that, pedal type is another thing cyclists can never agree on....lol....so you will probably get a lot of different suggestions from everyone. no biggie

That bike is fine, you don't really need a full on XC rig at this point
i want the hitch option as a roof rack takes more time to put on, and i'm usually alone so no one to help, plus it takes more room in my condo locker. Hitch is good if i can get a hidden one, well see friday at the store, plus if i eventually buy a PWC (sea doo) or something i can tow it also.

What are the important things in pedals? 30% is a lot wow . There is a huge selection at the store, i will be getting shoes that are comfortable and that breathe easily, my feet get hot as ****.

so you think the devinci one i posted is nice? i like the way it looks too. Just checked out treck, 10 000$ bikes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #84
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
1. Saddles are a personal thing. What may be comfortable to me may not work for you.

Check out this thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=selle+wtb

2. I use shimano spd cleats but but if I'm riding on really technical trails, I use platform pedals. Recreational riders have varying opinions on pedals though. You decide.
http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

With your budget, I would go with a built bike. I would suggest an XC hardtail which doesn't have a rear suspension.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6500/

Be sure to have a bike shop fit you for your proper size bike.

they had that particular trek at the store next to the devinci, the sales guy said they use basically the same important components, so might as well save 100$ and go devinci
Old 04-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #85
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
just remember you get what you pay for

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #86
Ghostie

yeah the Devinci is nice, but I like the Trek Breyton just posted....I think it actually looks sharper, though the components are about the same...can't go wrong with either......

One thing to consider at your weight though is warranty....these frames do break, so ask questions about warranty periods!!

As for pedals, ease of clipping in and out is the most important, I like shimanos because they have a solid "click" letting you know they are engaged (it will make sense when you start riding)

Other than that, people also talk about Float (the amount of lateral movement your feet have while clipped in).....

Some pedals "lock" your feet in more than others, which is usually what you want since it makes your pedalling motion more efficient (you waste energy when your feet move around)

However this can be hard on the knees, so some pedals have more Float than others allowing your feet to move around a bit more.....if you have a pre-existing knee issue you might look into one of these (Speedplay Frogs)

Otherwise, most people use either Shimanos, Eggbeaters or Time Atacs

Also, I leave my roof rack on 24/7......it's actually easier in that sense than my old hitch rack which was bulky and looked odd without the bike on it............the hitch makes sense if you're planning on towing the Jet Ski as you said though

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #87
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
i want the hitch option as a roof rack takes more time to put on, and i'm usually alone so no one to help, plus it takes more room in my condo locker. Hitch is good if i can get a hidden one, well see friday at the store, plus if i eventually buy a PWC (sea doo) or something i can tow it also.

What are the important things in pedals? 30% is a lot wow . There is a huge selection at the store, i will be getting shoes that are comfortable and that breathe easily, my feet get hot as ****.

so you think the devinci one i posted is nice? i like the way it looks too. Just checked out treck, 10 000$ bikes
If you have any questions regarding PWC's in the future, I'm into that as well. I've had about 5 different ones from the major brands.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #88
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
went to the closest LBS, $30 for a multi tool. $40 for them to assemble it and do a regular tune up. Picking it up in 15mins
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #89
ara

PWC is next item on the list for next summer only if i stay in my current condo which is waterfront and i can rent a dock space.

Ok i have a knee condition, my left knee is easily irritable, don't remember what the issue was, but i wear orthopedic insoles in my shoes to help. I guess i'll try the standard pedals, get used to riding a bit, decide on a saddle after that and new peddles.

Side by side i found the devinci looked nicer, black with orange accents was cool.

I found another store which has the devinci's also, and a lot more brands such as giants and kona etc. I'll go there too to get some advice for bikes.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #90
rEid46_323

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
[IMG]http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=356825&d=1271801325[/IMG

]if you are just getting into offroad biking i wouldnt spend more than 600 on a bike. i have been offroad biking for a couple years now and 06 Trek 3700 ($400) served me well as a beginner. if you are riding difficult trails as a beginner you will beat the sh1t out of a 1k bike... there is one thing i would rather have had on a entry bike: disc breaks.

its about time for me to look for an upgrade and im looking at the trek 6700 disc... so it kind of blows my mind why you guys are suggesting a beginner get this bike.

my $.02
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo236.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	356825  

rEid46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #91
ara

what do you guys suggest as a distance meter? i want to know my speed, distance traveled etc, nothing crazy needed.

I haven't been this excited to blow money in a long time
Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #92
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEid46_323 View Post
[IMG]http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=356825&d=1271801325[/IMG

]if you are just getting into offroad biking i wouldnt spend more than 600 on a bike. i have been offroad biking for a couple years now and 06 Trek 3700 ($400) served me well as a beginner. if you are riding difficult trails as a beginner you will beat the sh1t out of a 1k bike... there is one thing i would rather have had on a entry bike: disc breaks.

its about time for me to look for an upgrade and im looking at the trek 6700 disc... so it kind of blows my mind why you guys are suggesting a beginner get this bike.

my $.02

He did give a budget.
Quote:
what do you guys suggest as a distance meter? i want to know my speed, distance traveled etc, nothing crazy needed.

I haven't been this excited to blow money in a long time
I use a Cateye Strada wireless comp.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #93
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Got ma bike

Cant wait until the weekend !
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #94
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Got ma bike

Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #95
Ghostie

Quote:

my $.02
as I've said twice in this thread, my first bike was 350, so I'm the last person to ever suggest you NEED an expensive bike.

my purchase was based on MY budget at the time and intended use.............I suspect this is the same for you.
But just because a $600 bike fit YOUR budget and riding needs doesn't make it a benchmark for which all new riders must adhere to

ara himself suggested the bike based on HIS budget, and it isn't really expensive for a good bike.......

congrats lowdog...getting a new bike for me is just as exciting as getting a new car....enjoy!

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-20-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #96
Ghostie

Also for ANY rider out there old or new this book is YOUR BIBLE

I just read it last year and man do I wish I'd done so in '03 when I started riding.

I learned so much from it even after ~7yrs of riding, I recommend it as a refresher for all seasoned riders and a MUST for any new riders

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Moun.../dp/0736056246
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #97
Ghostie

Quote:

my $.02
dude are you riding muddy trails in Dallas?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #98
kuksul08

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Got ma bike

wooohooo!!!! look forward to the ride report

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #99
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
wooohooo!!!! look forward to the ride report
where does this bike stack up against what i posted? it looks sturdy, but i don't know crap all about bikes, so is this a "really" good bike, cuz it sure as hell looks like it, i'm kinda scared to find out how much. K found this bike on their site at 995$ but i can't find which stores carry them, i like how it looks. can't wait for a report also

And the other question, if i got a bike with rear suspension also, what is the disadvantage?

Last edited by ara; 04-20-2010 at 11:50 PM.
ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #100
kuksul08

Quote:
where does this bike stack up against what i posted? it looks sturdy, but i don't know crap all about bikes, so is this a "really" good bike, cuz it sure as hell looks like it, i'm kinda scared to find out how much. K found this bike on their site at 995$ but i can't find which stores carry them, i like how it looks. can't wait for a report also

And the other question, if i got a bike with rear suspension also, what is the disadvantage?
It's a nice bike, but REALLY good is, well, here:

... but it's all relative. Most people wouldn't use that bike to its fullest potential, so wasted money.

Rear suspension soaks up your pedal strokes more, and if it's a bad shock it can make the ride pretty bad. If your budget is not terribly high, I'd stick with front suspension only.