E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #101
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Got ma bike

Cant wait until the weekend !
Sweet! Now ride the hell out of that bisch!

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #102
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
where does this bike stack up against what i posted? it looks sturdy, but i don't know crap all about bikes, so is this a "really" good bike, cuz it sure as hell looks like it, i'm kinda scared to find out how much. K found this bike on their site at 995$ but i can't find which stores carry them, i like how it looks. can't wait for a report also

And the other question, if i got a bike with rear suspension also, what is the disadvantage?
Having a shock in the rear helps to smoothen out the ride on rough terrain. Less bumpiness on a ride means the rider maintains great control of the bike since it is more stable (especially on downhills) and less fatigue on the body overall.

The main drawbacks to Full suspension bikes used to (1)Weight- suspension mechanism adds lbs (2)Pedal Bob -Springy action robs you of pedaling energy (3)Price.

The first two have been since been overcome for the most part with some pretty sophisticated technological advancements.....unfortunately, the prices have also gone up significantly as well....

So yes, you can overcome the percieved drawbacks of FS, but at a steep price.....I personally wouldn't get an FS unless I was looking to spend at least $2500+ (unless it was used)

The Windsor looks like a good starter bike as well, the big difference is that the Devinci/Trek you're looking at will have better components (not really a huge deal since you may or may not notice the difference as a new rider)

Tons of really good bikes out there, don't get caught up in trying to compare them ALL, since you will be here till next year still searching.

If you're gonna spend 1k, I'd say go for the Trek/Devinci....if you can find the same Windsor for $400, then save $600 and go with that.

If you have some good shops around you, I would try to buy from them first before going online...
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #103
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Having a shock in the rear helps to smoothen out the ride on rough terrain. Less bumpiness on a ride means the rider maintains great control of the bike since it is more stable (especially on downhills) and less fatigue on the body overall.

The main drawbacks to Full suspension bikes used to (1)Weight- suspension mechanism adds lbs (2)Pedal Bob -Springy action robs you of pedaling energy (3)Price.

The first two have been since been overcome for the most part with some pretty sophisticated technological advancements.....unfortunately, the prices have also gone up significantly as well....

So yes, you can overcome the percieved drawbacks of FS, but at a steep price.....I personally wouldn't get an FS unless I was looking to spend at least $2500+ (unless it was used)

The Windsor looks like a good starter bike as well, the big difference is that the Devinci/Trek you're looking at will have better components (not really a huge deal since you may or may not notice the difference as a new rider)

Tons of really good bikes out there, don't get caught up in trying to compare them ALL, since you will be here till next year still searching.

If you're gonna spend 1k, I'd say go for the Trek/Devinci....if you can find the same Windsor for $400, then save $600 and go with that.

If you have some good shops around you, I would try to buy from them first before going online...
thanks man, you're a great help along with Breyton

I'm heading to the other shop now, have 2 hours before i head to office. I'll write when i get back. I can go up to crazy prices, but there really is no point, hell i might not even enjoy biking, so i'll start off at 1 000$ and go from there.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #104
Breyton-BMW

^ I think that's an excellent pricepoint to start with. Goodluck with your search. Biking has helped a lot in my weight problems. That aside from the fun factor has got me addicted.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #105
ara

K had a chance to head to this amazing store. These guys carry all kinds of brands from devinci to kona to giant etc etc. A real specialty shop for bikes, and their pricing is very fair did some local research and they come highly recommended.

Now i spoke to the sales guy, he asked about my height this and that and suggested that i go with a 29er, he mentioned all the positives and attributes which made sense. The only bike that he carries in 29 inch is the Kona line up, and the one in my price range is the Kona kahuna http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kahuna

then there is the big Kahuna for 600$ more

a few questions for you guys.

since i'm 6'3 it kinda makes sense to have a 29er correct?

Is Kona a good bike, and the 600$ difference between the kahuna and big kahuna, would i notice in my intended use the component difference?

I don't like the color too much, but what can i do. 3 weeks to order and receive.

what other 29er do you guys recommend from other brands.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #106
ara

what's crazy is i'm graduating tomorrow (last exam) and i dont even want to study, lol i'm researching bikes left and right.

I found a few gary fishers in 29 inch, which are in my price range. I can order those too, so i will decide within a few days, gonna start riding my old crap bike to get sore and get that period out of the way, so when my new bike gets here i'll be fresh
Old 04-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #107
Breyton-BMW

^Gary Fisher is also owned by Trek. My buddy has one and I've ridden it a few times. They go over bumps and dips more easily than the 26 for obvious reasons. Also, with the new 29 specific drivetrain gearing that component manufacturers came out with, the pedaling effort is about the same as pedaling a 26 bike. I say go for it. I'm eyeing a Niner bikes 29er as my 2nd bike. Are those available there in your bike shop? They have very good reviews.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #108
Ghostie

first off go study!!! you'll have plenty of time to MTB...lol

I'm 6'2 and I ride a 29er as well, it does seem to work better for bigger guys in terms of frame sizing, and the sales guy is correct to steer you in that direction...but don't think that is your ONLY option and don't hesitate to test ride a few 26ers as well just so you find what works for YOU.

Kona is a good brand

It looks like the main "upgrade" with the Big Kahuna are the wheels..........while wheels are probably THE most important upgrade you can make to any bike, I don't think these are worth it. You'd actually be better off saving your $600 and buying your own aftermarket wheels when you're ready to upgrade. Get the cheaper frame

Pretty much all major brands make a 29er

FYI Gary Fisher is regarded as the Father of modern day Mountain Biking and one hell of a cool guy (while in town recently, he snuck out a formal event, jumped into a pedicab and went drinking with a bunch of local riders)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Fisher

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-21-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #109
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
29er might be interesting. Just keep in mind the parts are *less* available than standard 26" wheels, tires, tubes.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #110
Ghostie

so not true.....I've been riding them for 4yrs now, and have never run into this issue.

what are you talking about?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #111
kuksul08

I just usually see mostly 26" parts at local shops. Not saying they aren't available, but you have less selection.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #112
Breyton-BMW

^Here's a tip. In an emergency, you can fit a 26 tube to a 29 wheel.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #113
rEid46_323

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
as I've said twice in this thread, my first bike was 350, so I'm the last person to ever suggest you NEED an expensive bike.

my purchase was based on MY budget at the time and intended use.............I suspect this is the same for you.
But just because a $600 bike fit YOUR budget and riding needs doesn't make it a benchmark for which all new riders must adhere to

ara himself suggested the bike based on HIS budget, and it isn't really expensive for a good bike.......

congrats lowdog...getting a new bike for me is just as exciting as getting a new car....enjoy!
lol my bike was only 400 but your right some riders might start out a lot more capable than i did. but its very true that you can have funs on a cheap assed bike.

Quote:
dude are you riding muddy trails in Dallas?
ya... it had just been deemed "open" but then i got bogged down in mud for 1/3 of the trail. i dont like riding muddy trails because it fvcks them up when they dry, as this one got screwed because someone didnt check all of it before opening it.

rEid46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #114
ara

i found another known shop, gonna go check them out to.

For sure i want a 29er.

For now the Gary Fisher Cobia is at the top of my list, looks like a nice bike and great reviews.

I didn't like the color of the KONA as much, but covered in mud won't be a big deal.

I'm going to attempt to study right now, see what happens
Old 04-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #115
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I just usually see mostly 26" parts at local shops. Not saying they aren't available, but you have less selection.
I suppose it depends on where you live, here where I live, 29ers are pretty "mainstream", so the shops are stocked pretty equally with 26 stuff

and yes the tubes are interchangeable in a pinch
Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #116
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Rode 13km after work today, love the bike, i can feel i need to get used to the saddle and need to learn how to position my self. Omg saw so many hot chicks. So glad i live in Downtown Miami

Anyone know a better route calculator than this one ? http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
Old 04-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #117
ara

Quote:
Rode 13km after work today, love the bike, i can feel i need to get used to the saddle and need to learn how to position my self. Omg saw so many hot chicks. So glad i live in Downtown Miami

Anyone know a better route calculator than this one ? http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
congrats, how long did the 13km take you?

I'm so excited to place my order tomorrow
Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #118
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Quote:
congrats, how long did the 13km take you?

I'm so excited to place my order tomorrow
Pretty long wasnt racing, and couldnt cuz of all the people. but rode for a little over an hour. beautifull evening Just cant get my bike computer to work, does that sensor HAVE to be within 1mm from the magnet? Cuz my spokes doesnt allow that

On saturday i will ride down to key biscayne from my place and back, about 21 miles. so thats gonna be awesome, dont think ive went that long on a bike in 10 years lol
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #119
ara

Quote:
Pretty long wasnt racing, and couldnt cuz of all the people. but rode for a little over an hour. beautifull evening Just cant get my bike computer to work, does that sensor HAVE to be within 1mm from the magnet? Cuz my spokes doesnt allow that

On saturday i will ride down to key biscayne from my place and back, about 21 miles. so thats gonna be awesome, dont think ive went that long on a bike in 10 years lol
i'm more excited about buying this damn bike than i am of graduating tomorrow.

For the next 2 months until construction starts i'm in the sales office from 1pm, so everymorning i will ride, not sure how much i can, as i haven't in years, but once i get better i will start riding to the gym also, 5 minute drive so shouldn't be bad on a bike.

I want this exam out of the way, i finish at 5 pm tomorrow, 5:30 i'll be at the store with my Credit Card
Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #120
kuksul08

Quote:
i'm more excited about buying this damn bike than i am of graduating tomorrow.

For the next 2 months until construction starts i'm in the sales office from 1pm, so everymorning i will ride, not sure how much i can, as i haven't in years, but once i get better i will start riding to the gym also, 5 minute drive so shouldn't be bad on a bike.

I want this exam out of the way, i finish at 5 pm tomorrow, 5:30 i'll be at the store with my Credit Card
Priorities man!! Haha..