E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Jeeemz

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Software for internal engine mods... shark injector?

So here's my setup: I have an '02 330Ci with 11.0:1 vented pistons with a 1mm overbore, H-beam rods 5mm longer than stock, 258 deg. intake/exhaust cams with 11.15 mm lift, upgraded valve springs, rod bearings, main bearings, Carbonio CAI, ebay headers, and Borla cat-back exhaust fitted with Magnaflow cats (plus other mods that won't be relevant to my question).

I was originally supposed to get my ECU programmed with the software used by the people who suggested the configuration and sold me all the parts (Metric Mechanic in MO). I believe Mark D'Sylva does their software. I live in CA and shipped my ECU to them, but they were unable to get the software on my ECU at the time. So I was never able to get the software, but my local indy mechanic said Shark Injector would do the same thing, so I installed the Shark Injector software.

My problem is that the car has never run long periods without throwing one code or another ever since I've done the mods. It has been an epic 2 year fiasco of taking the car in to my mechanic and having him tweak this, and tune that, and now my smog is out of date, and I can't get rid of a couple codes (P2096--post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1, and P0172--System too rich bank 1). The particular codes are not what I'm concerned about--there were many more prior to these.

To get to my question: based on the mods I've done, did I need that custom software after all, or should the shark injector have done just as well? Could my lingering issues be related to the fact that I don't have the right software? Did my indy "performanc" mechanic lead me astray?
Jeeemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
The Shark injector was absolutely the wrong tune for your BIMMER. Don't get me wrong, i
like mine, it's a good "off the self" generic tune, but definitely the wrong tune for your application. Your mods fall into one category, "Custom Custom" tune, meaning tuned on a
dyno. Companies like AA have "Custom" tunes, but these will be pre-engineered applications, and not specifically tuned to your application. I would absolutely look for a company that could put your Bimmer on a chassis dyno and re-flash your ECU until they
got it right.

Good luck,

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 03-01-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

OPPs....double post.

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Jeeemz

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that might be the case. Do you think having the wrong tune can make the car run badly enough to trigger engine codes? Or would it just not run optimally? Could having the wrong software make the engine run significantly too rich or too lean, for example?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Many Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeemz View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that might be the case. Do you think having the wrong tune can make the car run badly enough to trigger engine codes? Or would it just not run optimally? Could having the wrong software make the engine run significantly too rich or too lean, for example?
Rob is very much right. Your car NEEDS to be tuned on a dyno. There will be no off the shelf tune that will take care of it.

Whoever sold you on the Shark Injector should be knee'd in the groind repeatedly.

Yes, the wrong tune can make your car run badly. Yes it can make it run too rich, or too lean... and both of those conditions will toss out an MIL.

You need to get your car on a dyno with a reputable tuner my friend.
Justin@SharkInjectorDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin@sharkinjectordirect View Post
rob is very much right. Your car needs to be tuned on a dyno. There will be no off the shelf tune that will take care of it.

whoever sold you on the shark injector should be knee'd in the groind repeatedly.

yes, the wrong tune can make your car run badly. Yes it can make it run too rich, or too lean... And both of those conditions will toss out an mil.

You need to get your car on a dyno with a reputable tuner my friend.
Sponsor quote of the year !!!

Quote:
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Jeeemz

Thanks. I've been wanting to knee him in the groin for about two years... that scumbag has probably paid off his M5 with the money I've spent on him doing mechanical "fixes" that will never fully solve the problem. I can't believe it. I can't believe I didn't see through his incompetence.

Do you (or anyone) know of any good tuners with a dyno in Southern CA? How much is this going to cost me?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Sponsor quote of the year !!!
I'm a no BS kind of guy.

I would never suggest someone buy a SI with those kinds of mods. It seems REALLY dishonest.

In all my years of sales I have learned one thing... don't bullsh-- the customer. Don't lie to them to get the sale. It's not worth it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks. I've been wanting to knee him in the groin for about two years... that scumbag has probably paid off his M5 with the money I've spent on him doing mechanical "fixes" that will never fully solve the problem. I can't believe it. I can't believe I didn't see through his incompetence.

Do you (or anyone) know of any good tuners with a dyno in Southern CA? How much is this going to cost me?
I would pop in the regional area and ask them.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
I tried to deal with Metric Mechanic...I went elsewhere. The person I talked to kept trying to sell me on their product instead of answering my specific questions. Plus, they were absurdly expensive for what I was looking for.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Jeeemz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@SharkInjectorDirect View Post
I would pop in the regional area and ask them.
Yes, I'm sure I'll get a quote once I find one... Do you know of a tuner in my region?

Bueller?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Jeeemz

I've been trying to get in touch with Mark D'Sylva for one of his E.A.T. chips, but haven't been able to reach him.

I did a little research for an alternative and found GIAC up in Irvine, CA, but they're booked up through the summer and can't help me. I also looked into Powerchip, in Costa Mesa, CA, but they don't have a product for my car, and it doesn't look they do custom tuning.

Does anyone know of anyone else?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
Quote:
I've been trying to get in touch with Mark D'Sylva for one of his E.A.T. chips, but haven't been able to reach him.

I did a little research for an alternative and found GIAC up in Irvine, CA, but they're booked up through the summer and can't help me. I also looked into Powerchip, in Costa Mesa, CA, but they don't have a product for my car, and it doesn't look they do custom tuning.

Does anyone know of anyone else?
Active Autowerke does custom tuning.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

First i find it hard to believe that there's no one on the California coast that can custom
tune your car on a chassis dyno. Look harder. Next, i bought a Mark D'Sylva
chip for my E36 race car because i was told that it was the chip of chips.
Keep in mind that my current
chip worked quite well & i liked it, but I'll spend money to pick-up 5WHP. I put it in & dynoed
it to find i just LOST 10WHP & 9WTQ, it got pulled out 1 minute later. So I'd probably pass
on D'Sylva.

Good luck,

Quote:
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
E46Arash

My Ride: 2002 Bmw E46 M3
Powerchip does do custom tunes for everyones car.
they tuned my e46 m3 with full boltons and the difference is definately night and day. I wouldnt go with anyone else.
E46Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Past Site Sponsor

As long as this tune consists of your car tuned on a dyno it would most likely be worth the money.

Anyone who is selling you a 'tune' for your mods without dyno'ing your car is not selling you a tune for YOUR mods... period. You are getting a generic off the shelf tune. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a fool.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Call up Church's tuning... i'm pretty sure they will know a guy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/

^closest thing to a website i could find. tons of jdm guys go to him. i'm sure they'll know where to get you some help if they can't provide it themselves.

Also Gintani does custom tunning if i remmeber correctly. they are here in the San Fernando Valley.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
E46Arash

My Ride: 2002 Bmw E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
Call up Church's tuning... i'm pretty sure they will know a guy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/

^closest thing to a website i could find. tons of jdm guys go to him. i'm sure they'll know where to get you some help if they can't provide it themselves.

Also Gintani does custom tunning if i remmeber correctly. they are here in the San Fernando Valley.
Wrong answer.
Dont ever go to church Auto. Everyone I know has had a bad experience with them including me in the past. If you want your car done right just call Matt at Powerchip.
E46Arash is offline   Reply With Quote