E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
^Judging from the sig, this guy knows what he's talking about
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 AM   #22
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_ZHP View Post
If you were going to purchase an e36 for a track car, which would you buy?

e36: m 2dr, m 4dr, m coupe, other.....

95 Coupe (sunroof delete)
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilori View Post
third retarded post I've seen from you today.
it was one of those days at work...very long day, I was just trying to make it thru

anyways, I stay by my M coupe, not nec with a 2J, but it would be nice.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
GGray
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 01 325it Wagonator
The lightest E36, I don't count the Ti as an honest E36. Is the 1992 E36 325i, all the glass in the car is thinner. They used the same glass in the 95 LTW for weight reduction. Most of them you find are wore the hell out.

Finding a non sunroof chassis is not easy. I have a 95M3 non sunroof white I call the LTW replica. And no its not for sale... Its my track/fun car.

Buy an M3, a four door is actually slightly stiffer chassis than the coupe. The amount of changes is substantial between an M and non M chassis. 97/98 is the only four door M3 years. If you want a coupe a 95M3 is sliglty lighter than 96+ coupe or sedan. S50 is fine for track. s52 is 200cc more slightly more pull down low. My S52 in one of my 95's made 239whp/229trq WITHOUT cams. had everythign else.

TONS of info on how to set one up cheaply for the track. Ive tracked them since 2001. Before that E30M3's, before that E28 535is/turbo.

The E46 is a capable chassis and basically just an upgraded E36 chassis. I am building a 330i track/street car right now for a customer/buddy I'll post a thread on it when I finish. Lets just say its a substatial build.

1. E36M3 four door, especially if you have any kids. the four door is also MUCH easier to haul crap to the track in you can put four tires across the back seat with the seats out.

2. 95 M3 lighter, cheaper to buy,

My favorite mods on the E36.. 3.38 lsd from a 96+ auto, LTW flywheel... Put a square tire set up on any of them you get 17x8.5 or 9 works best.

Look for a non sunroof car. hard to find but worth it significantly stiffer chassis without the hole and lighter up top makes it feel even better on track..
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote