E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Inspection in NC...very confusing

I am buying a car from an individual.
The DMV here has opposing statements on their website:

1. Car must be inspected within 10 days after getting plate
2. Car must be inspected by new owner before getting plate

WTF?

Dealer told me they JUST changed away from #1 because it was too troublesome when cars don't pass, so they couldn't enforce it...and that they are probably confused too with their new policy #2, I mean how on earth can I inspect it as the owner before I get plates since the registration isn't in my name yet

Anyone here know the current rules in NC?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Wrong Forum
Old 09-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
the new rules have made it really confusing about when inspections are actually due since they got rid of the stickers, that said, I bought a car from an individual in NC in July and it already had been inspected for the year so all I ended up doing was going to the plate agency and registering it in my name and getting a new plate and wont have to get it inspected until next year. So as long as the car has a valid inspection in NC you should be fine, if its coming from another state I'm not entirely sure.

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
you guys need to get inspected every year? Wow that sucks
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
I am buying a car from an individual.
The DMV here has opposing statements on their website:

1. Car must be inspected within 10 days after getting plate
2. Car must be inspected by new owner before getting plate

WTF?

Dealer told me they JUST changed away from #1 because it was too troublesome when cars don't pass, so they couldn't enforce it...and that they are probably confused too with their new policy #2, I mean how on earth can I inspect it as the owner before I get plates since the registration isn't in my name yet

Anyone here know the current rules in NC?
New owner here simply means new buyer, yes, it is very confuse.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
you guys need to get inspected every year? Wow that sucks
i thought every state had mandatory yearly inspections???
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
i thought every state had mandatory yearly inspections???
Nope.

California only has it every 2 years for SMOG and I think Florida doesn't have ANY.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
zk369

My Ride: '00 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Nope.

California only has it every 2 years for SMOG and I think Florida doesn't have ANY.
Same here in Ohio. Used to have emission checks but then they all closed.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
This sucks, I had it inspected on Sunday because the DMV website said I had to and I did NOT want to go to the DMV twice on Monday, and when I got there Monday morning they said I wasted my money having it inspected.

WTF???

"" If purchased from a North Carolina resident, the owner has to have the vehicle inspected in North Carolina prior to a license plate being issued. If purchased from an individual that resides out of state, the owner will be issued a plate without having the vehicle inspected in N.C. The plate will not be eligible for renewal one year later unless the vehicle has passed a N.C. inspection. ""
Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
silvertabb4

My Ride: 01 325i 5 sp
i live n raleigh ...... i bought my car from a small used dealer in the area and they inspected it before i bought the car ....... idk why they r putting u through the trouble
silvertabb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #11
blackpearl

My Ride: Saab 9-3 SE droptop
Dealing with this now too...bought my old bmw back...kept my plate, going to transfer it to the bmw from my previous car...going to the dmv tommorow to ask what the deal is. My "yearly" inspection is due by like may 15th, thats the deadline after the 60day grace period. So I have like 15 days now since I thought it was pointless to get the car I was sellling inspected and have to re-inspect the car(bmw i was buying back). So I really have no effing idea what to do the laws changed and made things all wierd now. If anyone in NC knows what the deal is let me know, otherwise I'll find out tommorow and try to let ya'll know what the hell NC is doing nowadays.
blackpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Look at the last time the car was inspected. NC residents need inspections and registration renewals every year. I guess you just need to do it before the date on the registration renewal mailer the DMV sends. There is no emissions inspection in my county so inspection is cheap! I just take care of both in one day.

I bought my car from a private seller in NC (December 2008). Since it had already been inspected in June 2008, I think I just applied for a new title, registration and tags. Don't think my local DMV required an inspection first. It was a while ago, I can't remember.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
VA is annual also, but where im at the dont sniff it. i think most of the state doesnt...
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
just get it inspected and walk into the tag office with the inspection pass report and title etc. and of course cash
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote