E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
HellRaiser1

My Ride: TiAg 330Ci
Suspension Overhaul Checklist; READY and IMMINENT! Opinions welcome

Ok. So I've been shopping for suspension parts for my e46 w/ 200K+ miles. My poor suspension is shot and in serious need of an overhaul.

Here's my list so far, feel free to mention anything im leaving out, or that i should exclude:

-2 front control arms (meyle hd) + bushings
-new tie rod assembly for right/left
-Sport-Susp OEM front sway bar + endlinks
-Sport Susp OEM front shocks + springs (noticeable or subtle drop on these?)
-Strut tower brace (why not)
-ALL FOUR SUBFRAME MOUNTS
-Rear Differential Mount (NOT all three, but the rear main one, replacing w/ meyle HD)
-RTABS meyle HD .....not replacing all 6, but just the main one on each arm
-Front Shock Mount
-Rear Shock Mount
-Sport Susp OEM Rear Shocks
-Sport Susp OEM Rear Springs
-Sport Susp sway bar w/ rear endlinks
-Steering coupling ....and lube the crap out of that one steering bearing that causes squeaking noises.

QUESTIONS and OPINIONS NEEDED-
- Is it ok if I ONLY replace main RTAB instead of all 3 on each arm?
- Is it ok if I ONLY replace the main rear diff mount and not all 3?
- How do I politely explain to my mech that all these bushings are going to require a special tool, and that if he doesn't use this tool it's going to be a major PIA, and the only reason im mentioning this is so he doesn't rape me and my wallet w/ no lube.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by HellRaiser1; 03-16-2010 at 11:35 PM.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
HellRaiser1

ttt
Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
EDawg

My Ride: :/
those bushings don't necessarily need special tools. as long as the mechanic can remove the old bushings and reinstall new ones, that's all that matters. heck, i installed my RTABS using miscellaneous plumbing parts from home depot.

also, why not go with an aftermarket suspension kit instead of OEM sport? if you insist on sticking with OEM, at least get the ZHP shocks/struts, springs, and sways.

Last edited by EDawg; 03-17-2010 at 05:03 AM.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
hvirani

My Ride: e46 320i
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edawg View Post
those bushings don't necessarily need special tools. As long as the mechanic can remove the old bushings and reinstall new ones, that's all that matters. Heck, i installed my rtabs using miscellaneous plumbing parts from home depot.

Also, why not go with an aftermarket suspension kit instead of oem sport? If you insist on sticking with oem, at least get the zhp shocks/struts, springs, and sways.
hvirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
HellRaiser1

The reason I don't go for aftermarket or ZHP is because I'd like to have decent ride quality over stiff shocks/struts and wouldn't like to be lowered too much since I live in a big city riddled with potholes and steep driveways and ramps.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
jbfrancis3
Formerly Snox400

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
QUESTIONS and OPINIONS NEEDED-
- Is it ok if I ONLY replace main RTAB instead of all 3 on each arm?
- Is it ok if I ONLY replace the main rear diff mount and not all 3?
- How do I politely explain to my mech that all these bushings are going to require a special tool, and that if he doesn't use this tool it's going to be a major PIA, and the only reason im mentioning this is so he doesn't rape me and my wallet w/ no lube.

THANKS!!!
- I just replaced all three bushings on the trailing arm this weekend. The upper bushing is a balljoint, and with 92,XXX miles on my 323i, this was very loose and had lots of play. I would recommend replacing.

- I found that I only needed to replace the rear diff mount, and not the two front. But of course since I had already purchased them, I did replaced them anyway

- Ask him to show you what equipment he has, and based on what you've seen on the forum, you can judge whether he will have success or not. In the end, its your car, tell him what you want done and how you want it done. If I have to bring my car into a shop, I always bring a list of specific tasks.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
HellRaiser1

Cool thanks. I will replace all 6 RTAB Bushings. Autohauz is usually my parts place.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
HellRaiser1

PICKING UP MY CAR NOW!!!

2 THINGS:

A) Afraid of what the bill will be. Initially quoted me for around $450-$600

B) Can't wait to see how she rides now!!! Def will need an alignment though.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
dawjr

My Ride: 04'325ci convertable
I'm needing to have suspension work done this summer. I have a 04 325 ci vert. Where can I go to get info on the different options out there?
dawjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
HellRaiser1

I went to go check up on my car at my Indy shop.

The subframe is out, and all that's left is replacing subframe mounts as well as the RTABS and thats it. (It's going in for subframe inspection and airbag replacement at dealership next week....and subframe looks ok suprisingly!!)

My indy mech was *****ing about how much work I gave him and how theyve been working on my car all day yesterday and today.

IM AFRAID OF THE BILL!!!!

I'm predicting $1000
Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
dawjr

My Ride: 04'325ci convertable
wow...What do you have for a car?
dawjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
HellRaiser1

00 sedan with 200K + miles.

Getting an alignment right now then all ready. Predicting the labor tag to be about 1K, which still wouldn't be too bad, it'll hurt but better than what most places will charge
Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
00 sedan with 200K + miles.

Getting an alignment right now then all ready. Predicting the labor tag to be about 1K, which still wouldn't be too bad, it'll hurt but better than what most places will charge

1k is pretty hight , but still decent due to all the things you need done

Only thing you missed that i would recommend anyone dropping the subframe is ..... TMS reinforcements for the mounts ^^
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
BMWstudent

My Ride: hates potholes
Thats a huge list dude! You're going to love it so much more now.

I got my car in September and the first thing I thought was "wow, this car rides like garbage. My e30 was so much better" but then I did the control arms, CABs, tie rods, put in m3 sway bars, koni yellows, ERS of 450# and 650#, and a few other small things and the car really came to life.

It made me fall in love with the car by the time I was done.
BMWstudent is offline   Reply With Quote