E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
Get dents removed or buy the new part? you decide.

Part number: 41357042323

This got crushed a bit in a hit and run while I was at the gym This place here in socal is quoting me $500. That's their wholesale price because my mother works at a stealership that gives them business. All I need is the dents removed from the side corner area.

The part brand new is $266 from Tischer (part no. 41357042323), although I'm not sure if they will ship it for free and I have no idea how much it would be to have painted.

I have buffed out the scratches quite nicely and everything else is fine, luckily I still have the OEM amber corners to use as well, but they won't fit until its all popped out.

If anyone has any other ideas, options, or knows anyone in the socal region that might be of assistance, please feel free to share!

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.

Last edited by stevodotorg; 04-28-2010 at 05:40 PM.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
I would always recommend PDR anytime it is possible, but that looks so severe it may not work.

Why not find a fender used, in alpine white? If its OEM with factory paint, it should bolt right up and look good as new!

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
sam5357

My Ride: 2002 325i
That really sucks, was probably some soccer mom in her giant suburban lol. I would say try PDR, but that crease might not come out...... sucks man, would have wrecked my day
sam5357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
stevodotorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
I would always recommend PDR anytime it is possible, but that looks so severe it may not work.

Why not find a fender used, in alpine white? If its OEM with factory paint, it should bolt right up and look good as new!
Any ideas where I might find one? I've been checking the part out forums

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
stevodotorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam5357 View Post
That really sucks, was probably some soccer mom in her giant suburban lol. I would say try PDR, but that crease might not come out...... sucks man, would have wrecked my day
Totally wrecked my day

But I'll update with some new photos later with my real camera and you guys can tell me if it looks like PDR might work.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
$500 for that is pretty good considering the labor too. i'd also buy used if you aren't that picky.
i'd also go to MOBworks paint and body in Orange, they are around the corner from the Pond.
i don't think a PDR would be able to do that. but if so i'd do that.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
colinschick

My Ride: 325ci
i would SO do the body shop route.

in 1 day it could be good as new, compared to shipment time, paint time, yada yada....

plus, thinking about it, $266 + shipping + Paint + tax would be more than $500.....
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
mr_lee

My Ride: _________
check out car-part.com.. a lot of auto recycling places post it on there. good luck.
mr_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
yeah, it's typically better to fix it on the car than it is to replace the part

even if you find one in alpine white, most likely it will be obviously different, due to differences in paint wear in various areas, and how well the paint was taken care of on the previous car.

Heck, even two brand new cars, same color, will show some variation, just because of the painting process itself. $500 is a great price to fix that.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
sonspot

My Ride: 330I Spot/Prem/cold
junk yard, junk yard, junk yard, auto recycling and ebay, how many times have we said this, grown folks, think for our self and do some work.. am not being rude but seriously asking where to get the part, seriously?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
junk yard, junk yard, junk yard, auto recycling and ebay, how many times have we said this, grown folks, think for our self and do some work.. am not being rude but seriously asking where to get the part, seriously?
How do you have the right to say you aren't being rude . You are
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #12
chet31

My Ride: 05 330i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllSupra View Post
How do you have the right to say you aren't being rude . You are
Who is being rude in this thread?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=vinyl
chet31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
golf_234

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodotorg View Post
Part number: 41357042323

This got crushed a bit in a hit and run while I was at the gym This place here in socal is quoting me $500. That's their wholesale price because my mother works at a stealership that gives them business. All I need is the dents removed from the side corner area.

The part brand new is $266 from Tischer (part no. 41357042323), although I'm not sure if they will ship it for free and I have no idea how much it would be to have painted.

I have buffed out the scratches quite nicely and everything else is fine, luckily I still have the OEM amber corners to use as well, but they won't fit until its all popped out.

If anyone has any other ideas, options, or knows anyone in the socal region that might be of assistance, please feel free to share!

Damn. That is a sexy car too. You would be surprised how well auto body shops can fix that. it will be a bit pricey though. I would honestly lean toward having it fixed. If you look closely you haven't lost the structural integrity of the panel really at all. It can be easily shaped and bondo'd, then painted. Nbd. You should have seen the quarter panel on my mom's mini.. much worse than this and we took it to a really, really good auto body shop and its like new. even the most trained eye could not tell at all. I am estimating about $300-$400 for this job. in this economy you can get it done cheap, esp. down in irvine you have the world at your fingertips. (lived off of jamboree and the 405 last summer). Shop around a lot.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 04-30-2010 at 12:35 AM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
golf_234

i have a guy up here in san luis obispo that would fix that for $300. but irvine is quite a ways haha.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
golf_234

But on second thought if the panel new is $266, it could really go either way. it kind of is all 6's. depends on how deep your pockets are. as it is the fender you have more options than say, a rear quarter panel.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #16
NOVAbimmer

the paint will come out a lot better, in general, if all the shop is doing is blending within the front edge of the original panel, rather than spraying an entire fender, at which point they'll want to blend into the door, including de-trim time for it. Replacing the fender, in the end, will cost a lot more than you think.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
i have a guy up here in san luis obispo that would fix that for $300. but irvine is quite a ways haha.
and I wouldn't trust a bodyman that gives an estimate based on one mediocre picture only. But that's just me...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #18
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
and I wouldn't trust a bodyman that gives an estimate based on one mediocre picture only. But that's just me...
I agree. That was just my estimate because he is a personal friend and I know he will hook me up. He is the guy for the porsche dealer here. It is fairly easy to see what happened to the panel here though.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
the paint will come out a lot better, in general, if all the shop is doing is blending within the front edge of the original panel, rather than spraying an entire fender, at which point they'll want to blend into the door, including de-trim time for it. Replacing the fender, in the end, will cost a lot more than you think.
true.

Tags
tischer