E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AZ NM NV OK TX UT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Arrow Looking to start a career - Dyno tuning, electrical engineering, race analysis

guys,

I recently had the chance to do some business with a guy named Forrest from pro performance tuning in Ft. Worth, and after our business was done we had a chance to talk for a little bit. He really kind of made me realize that my life is not really going in the direction i want it to (professionally).

Right now i work in a laboratory on organic electronics, and flexible circuitry. I like my job but its not what i am passionate about. I am a sophmore electrical engineering student, and all the information is in my resume, which i am going to post up here for you guys to look over and critique.

Basically i always wanted to get into professional racing and auto development. I want to learn to tune cars - work with the dme and make the most power. I am also interested in doing the wiring for race car tuning sensors. systems like racepak, or traqmate.

I feel like this experience and this direction is the best place to start, when i graduate I want to either work for a major auto manufacturer or ALMS or maybe even F1.

This is where my passion has always been, and at 19 I feel the time has come to start making inroad into that world.

So i need your guys help, every time i turn to this community, I am amazed at the wonderful people i have a chance to interact with. So here is what i need:

1. critique my resume (download here )
2. help me add to my list of shops currently:Cobb motorsport, stett performance, dynotech, alamo autosport....
3. provide advice, or contacts

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
mvrk10256

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
mosill

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to mosill
I couldn't get the link to work but if you email me or PM me I can take a look at your resume. I have been to many career development workshops for school and internship programs.

I also always wanted to get into that area of automotive electronics but never figured out who to talk to. I know most will say the best way to get the initial exp is from just making it a hobby and getting your hands dirty. You could look into DIY solutions like megasquirt and other stand alone ECU/DME to get a feel for it. There are also a couple books out there for references on the fundamentals behind any tuning. But I think you got the right idea trying to get to some experience and an apprenticeship.

Have you had any programming classes? C or Assembly? I know assembly for sure would help with older ECUs for more primitive coding.

I know a lot of the major car business is up north which makes it challenging for us in the south get hardware industry exp. with the exception of Southwest Research Institute and automotive dept. of companies like TI.

Also, I think UTA has an automotive engineering dept. so you might be able to contact them for some insight too.

Good luck and let me know what you find. Like I said I was always interested in this stuff.

mosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
330xiBoarder

My Ride: a car
get more experience in the internship world....experience matters
330xiBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosill View Post
I couldn't get the link to work but if you email me or PM me I can take a look at your resume. I have been to many career development workshops for school and internship programs.

I also always wanted to get into that area of automotive electronics but never figured out who to talk to. I know most will say the best way to get the initial exp is from just making it a hobby and getting your hands dirty. You could look into DIY solutions like megasquirt and other stand alone ECU/DME to get a feel for it. There are also a couple books out there for references on the fundamentals behind any tuning. But I think you got the right idea trying to get to some experience and an apprenticeship.

Have you had any programming classes? C or Assembly? I know assembly for sure would help with older ECUs for more primitive coding.

I know a lot of the major car business is up north which makes it challenging for us in the south get hardware industry exp. with the exception of Southwest Research Institute and automotive dept. of companies like TI.

Also, I think UTA has an automotive engineering dept. so you might be able to contact them for some insight too.

Good luck and let me know what you find. Like I said I was always interested in this stuff.
I have experiance in assembly language, and I am definitly going to go look for those books your talking about. I am really looking for an apprenticeship job, or a training + work.

BTW i Pmed you my resume, the link works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xiBoarder View Post
get more experience in the internship world....experience matters
if you have any concrete ideas as to where to apply i would love to hear them
Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
mvrk10256

am working on an updated resume. thanks mosilll (i totally stole yours btw.... except changed the Hispanic part to Russian)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
razahyde

My Ride: bmw m5 w/ boost!
you pretty much have to know someone or you are screwed.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
mosill

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to mosill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
am working on an updated resume. thanks mosilll (i totally stole yours btw.... except changed the Hispanic part to Russian)
Lol.. happy to help

As long as were never going after the same jobs jk

mosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahyde View Post
you pretty much have to know someone or you are screwed.
thanks raza that was both helpful and enlightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosill View Post
Lol.. happy to help

As long as were never going after the same jobs jk
lol. thanks again.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
Blind32

My Ride: '07 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to Blind32 Send a message via Yahoo to Blind32
I was doing some reading on this subject over at e90post where they do alot of DME Flashes & piggyback ECUs for the 335i. One of the well known tuners over there recommended this book
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem...0734763&sr=8-1
and said it is great.

Some good threads, some have lots of crap so you have to dig for the good info posted mostly by shiv & scalbert
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196916
Look on EVO forums about flashes, they are real big in their community.
and as others have said, check out megasquirt. You won't start out reprograming your 20k BMW with custom code but maybe you can megasquirt your lawnmower. I always wanted to look into Megasquirt but theres never enough hours in the day.

Definitely don't give up on school tho. Most companies make a degree a requirement and won't even listen to you if you dont' have that paper. Read everything you can get your hands on. Good luck!
Blind32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
razahyde

My Ride: bmw m5 w/ boost!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
thanks raza that was both helpful and enlightening.

lol. thanks again.
no i was being serious, its come down to that point, if you dont know someone you need to be a bamf at what your doing. i have a few friends who do that kind of stuff. they will all tell you they got the gig because they were friends with someone who helped them get a foot in.

it sucks, but its the truth.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
I was doing some reading on this subject over at e90post where they do alot of DME Flashes & piggyback ECUs for the 335i. One of the well known tuners over there recommended this book
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem...0734763&sr=8-1
and said it is great.

Some good threads, some have lots of crap so you have to dig for the good info posted mostly by shiv & scalbert
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196916
Look on EVO forums about flashes, they are real big in their community.
and as others have said, check out megasquirt. You won't start out reprograming your 20k BMW with custom code but maybe you can megasquirt your lawnmower. I always wanted to look into Megasquirt but theres never enough hours in the day.

Definitely don't give up on school tho. Most companies make a degree a requirement and won't even listen to you if you dont' have that paper. Read everything you can get your hands on. Good luck!
i dont plan on dropping out lol. I actually am going to get a masters in EE b4 my scholarship runs out. I am definitly going to hit up half price books and see what they have (on my way) and if they dont have this i will get this book from amazon. I am also going to look into megasquirt. I feel you on the hours of the day thing, with school ramped up like it is right now, I am going to bed at 3 and waking at 8 generally just to get my **** done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahyde View Post
no i was being serious, its come down to that point, if you dont know someone you need to be a bamf at what your doing. i have a few friends who do that kind of stuff. they will all tell you they got the gig because they were friends with someone who helped them get a foot in.

it sucks, but its the truth.
as with most talent intensive jobs this is the truth, I grew up with a lot of guys that went into acting, some of them were successful and some were not. I am not a nuturally lucky person, but over the years i have developed a work ethic that makes up for my lack of natural luck.

I am going to break into this field, it is simply a matter of time and persistence. and if you have some contacts you dont mind sharing I am all ears.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
mvrk10256

BTW if anyone would like to suggest a few more shops to me the closer to 75080 the better.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
mvrk10256

anyone?

added:

LG motorsport
hpp racing

Last edited by mvrk10256; 04-13-2010 at 02:52 PM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Blind32

Luck = opportunity + preparation
Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
mvrk10256

Quote:
Luck = opportunity + preparation
the preparation is there. now all i need is the opportunity.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
mvrk10256

so i sent out my resume and cover letter to stett, dynocom, LG motorsport, COBB, HPP motorsport, and alamo performance.

hopefully someone will get back to me. wish me luck guys.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
Blind32

Sent it out? Like through email or snail mail? I would recommend a personal visit. Since you already sent it, I'd show up a few days after they received it so it is fresh in their mind and make a good impression.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
mvrk10256

Quote:
Sent it out? Like through email or snail mail? I would recommend a personal visit. Since you already sent it, I'd show up a few days after they received it so it is fresh in their mind and make a good impression.
I sent emails, with cover letters and resumes. I will drop by some shops on friday and others on monday to talk to them.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #20
mvrk10256

so i have gone by tosee most of the shops a couple weeks ago, no dice, at least up front, am looking into other oppertunities, just thought i would bump this thread. and say that during this current week i am going to go around and talk to the shops again. i figure they are eventually either going to throw me out or give me a job.

Tags
alms, e46, electrical engineering, job, racing