E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
msb046

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Question Audio experts: Anyone heard of vertical bi-amping HK amp?

I know that replacing the stock amp with a higher quality amp will give you better sound and power, but without wanting to buy a new amp and speakers set (yet)...

would it be possible to set up (2) HK amps running separate channels (vertical bi-amping, I believe) to increase volume on factory speakers at minimal cost? Anyone have experience with a vertical bi-amp setup? What would be the pros/cons of this setup, if it's possible.
msb046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Sounds like a lot of work, especially sorting the wiring, and bridging the amps. You would be better to replace the amp with a more modern multi channel Alpine.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
ILLuSioNz X

My Ride: 03 TiAg E46 M3 Coupe
sounds like a good idea.
ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
B-Man

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I assume you are not talking about bridging channels to double the power to the speakers. I do not know if the HK amps were designed to do that. I doubt it. To bi-amp, you would need double up on all the speakers that you already have. So, if you currently have 10 speakers, to bi-amp, you would need 20 speakers. 1 amp powers 10 speakers, the 2nd amp powers the other 10 speakers. Also, you would have to modify the harnesses so that the signals are split between the 2 amps and run new wiring to all speakers. Sounds like a lot of work just to increase the volume of speakers that do not sound that great to begin with. Now, if you were to buy aftermarket speakers and amps, and you wanted to bi-amp, I say go for it! Most of the good component speakers out there have options to bi-amp on the crossovers.
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
msb046

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
sounds like a good idea.
serious or joking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
I assume you are not talking about bridging channels to double the power to the speakers. I do not know if the HK amps were designed to do that. I doubt it. To bi-amp, you would need double up on all the speakers that you already have. So, if you currently have 10 speakers, to bi-amp, you would need 20 speakers. 1 amp powers 10 speakers, the 2nd amp powers the other 10 speakers. Also, you would have to modify the harnesses so that the signals are split between the 2 amps and run new wiring to all speakers.
Well I may have mispoken, but I thought vertical bi-amping would be bridging the two amps and having one run passenger side, and the other run drivers side (in essence doubling the power going to the speakers). Would that be so difficult (just messing with the harness for the most part, right?)? Do the HK amps have the capability of bridging channels like that? It would seem like the speakers should be able to handle more power (from what I remember they are only getting like 20-30 w rms per channel, right?)

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of work just to increase the volume of speakers that do not sound that great to begin with. Now, if you were to buy aftermarket speakers and amps, and you wanted to bi-amp, I say go for it! Most of the good component speakers out there have options to bi-amp on the crossovers.
With a sub added, I really don't think the HK speakers sound THAT terrible (at least not bad enough in my mind to drop the $700+ on a system I'd need to justify completely gutting the current one). This would be a band-aid method to try and get a bit more power and less distortion at higher volumes from the HK speakers. It would also retain the 10-speaker set up and factory cross-overs so that I wouldn't have to replace the amp and speakers and crossovers.

I guess if this worked, people with BSW stage 1 packages could benefit from this to give their speakers a bit more power, at least until the Stage 2 is released...

Last edited by msb046; 05-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
msb046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Even if it were possible to bridge the HK amps - about which no documentation exists, the wiring would be equally as complicated as fitting an aftermarket amp and some suitable crosoovers.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bi-amp, hk amp, speakers