E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
reddemon

My Ride: 2004 325i
Halogen lights question

My car has the halogen lights on it. I know that the bulb is an H7 55w. My question is, if I install a 100w bulb in the socket, will it mess anything up even if I only use it as highbeam bulb?

Thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Melt reflectors, wirings, plugs, etc etc. I wouldn't attempt to load the stock wiring with more current than stock
Old 05-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
reddemon

My Ride: 2004 325i
Thanks, paraklas. I figured something bad might happened so I asked first. So can I get your opinion? If you had the money, would you just buy replacement super white bulbs ($40-$80) or get an H.I.D. kit ($450+) Summer is coming and I use my headlights mostly in the morning on the way to work and soon it won't be dark in the morning anymore.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
JustMadeTheCut

My Ride: bmw-yamaha
theres a downside to both:
halogen bulbs burn out very quickly. It is not abnormal for them to burn out within less than a month. Ive seen an E46 eat through 3 piaa bulbs in ONE month!! ($70 a pair). this is not surprising to me. they dont offer any more output and just have a vague bluish tint to them(color depending on kelvin rating) the bluer they are, the dimmer they get. i would not recommend these under any circumstance
HIDs are much better and usually if they dont burn out on you within a couple of weeks(still under warranty), they will last you quite a while. If one does burn out, often a replacement will not match the other completely. There is a lot of scatter that occurs when putting HID kits into the halogen housing. Its not as aimed of a beam and will blind your oncoming traffic. there are also hot spots where the light will be more concentrated and dull spots as well. If you look at factory xenons, there is a very sharp line where the light is aimed. the "cutt off" is the distance that the light reaches. HIDs have poor cutoff.

there are some very knowledgeable guys on this forum that know a TON about this subject (some are very picky) but they can tell you more info if you like. bump the thread in 6 hours and im sure you will get more info. All i can say is do not waste your money on halogen replacements. they are junk
JustMadeTheCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Word , halogen +e46 = teh suck

However i am running 100W bulbs in my reflectors , nothing has happened sofar ... though i live in a colder climate than you so extra cooling might be needed for you.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Stick with 55w if you are replacing the bulbs. You can either do a hyperwhite bulb set like the Xenesis Bulbs we carry or replace the entire headlight with Projector46s.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
p46 projectors ftw
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
golf_234

My Ride: E90
i like the halogen look on my car. it has that vintage classic look. reminds me of james bond

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Get some silverstar ultras, solid white light and crazy bright with a wide spread of light on the road. It also shines further down the road, you will never need highbeams with these. I've had mine on my car for more than a year already.

Plus if you get angel eyes they are better on our headlights.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 05-06-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
Toxic0n

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Don't waste money on P46s. Find some nice used OEM Xenons in good condition and, if needed, throw some new $30 5000K to 6000K bulbs in them and you will be set for a while

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #11
Rixen

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Don't waste money on P46s. Find some nice used OEM Xenons in good condition and, if needed, throw some new $30 5000K to 6000K bulbs in them and you will be set for a while
link to facelift?
Rixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #12
lfhdez

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoybmr3 View Post
p46 projectors ftw
+1

not the best cut of... but not bad at all either. And on top of that, they're not nearly as expensive as other options.

Transmitido en espaņol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote