E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Loose Oil Pump Nut??

I'm going to be tracking my xi a lot. So far 3 days at LRP & another 5 coming up b4 the end of June. I've read some posts about the oil pump nut/bolt coming loose. How often does this really happen? And which part of the oil pump actually loosens? Am I being to nervous about this? Chas
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
I'm going to be tracking my xi a lot. So far 3 days at LRP & another 5 coming up b4 the end of June. I've read some posts about the oil pump nut/bolt coming loose. How often does this really happen? And which part of the oil pump actually loosens? Am I being to nervous about this? Chas
Do a search for more info on this topic, it's been covered to death in this forum.

Keep the RPMs below 6k, and you should be OK at LRP....although I would run an extra quart of oil in the pan. Turn 1 is a long drive around under high load.....

And the good news is you probably won't catch air going up the hill like many race cars. That's a zinger to the engine and driveline.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Ditto on just shifting at 6k and you'll be fine. Running it up to 7k constantly is what will kill an M54 if you don't have a revamped OPN.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
mine came off i shut her down had the nut staked/loctited. you have very little time to save the engine once the nut drops.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
OK, my bad. I did not do a thorough enough search. Finally found the info I was looking for and whether or not this was just a fairy tale. Thanks for the advice on RPM's but, isn't an extra qt oil the pan a bit much? My dipstick reads full after 8.5 qts. Won't the crank start to cavitate the extra oil in the pan? Chas
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
SpeedDemon

I don't see how the extra oil helps the situation at hand.

I agree that running an extra 1/2 quart of oil will help keep oil pressure up and thus be good for the rest of the engine, but I don't see how extra oil will keep the OPN from falling off.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Ditto on just shifting at 6k and you'll be fine. Running it up to 7k constantly is what will kill an M54 if you don't have a revamped OPN.

Don't the ZHP come from factory with loctite on that nut ? What do you mean by revamped ?
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
I don't see how the extra oil helps the situation at hand.

I agree that running an extra 1/2 quart of oil will help keep oil pressure up and thus be good for the rest of the engine, but I don't see how extra oil will keep the OPN from falling off.
i think he meant that it would help the potential oil starvation from LRP... around turn 1

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablac View Post
Don't the ZHP come from factory with loctite on that nut ? What do you mean by revamped ?
Yes, they do come with loctite on the nut from the factory.

I was just referring to going with something like a VAC OPN modification, VAIO's 3-point design, or the BMW Motorsport kit. The factory ZHP attachment is much better but not perfect.

When I baffled my oil pan, I through on the VAC Competition Oil Pump as some cheap insurance from starvation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy989 View Post
i think he meant that it would help the potential oil starvation from LRP... around turn 1
My mistake then for misreading