E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Question Memory settings

How on earth do you set the memory seating position and mirrors corresponding to a particular key?
I have already set the different memory positions on the drivers side seat, but cannot figure out how to make the key fob correspond to a particular setting.

Also, why must the drivers door be open for the setting to be carried out? If I try to change the setting with the door closed I must hold in the button, which does not make sense.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
secondchance

My Ride: 2004 330ci
I just got a 2004 330ci also.
What I found out is key remote can be programed to match your seat/mirror and a few other settings to the key or programed not to. You need to visit the dealer with the remote key/keys.
As for button having to be held down while in motion is a BMW safety feature to avoid accidentally hitting the button and wrong setting folding you into the seat.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
+1^ What he said.

Dealer needs to program key memory feature.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
VECTOR

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I just got a 2004 330ci also.
What I found out is key remote can be programed to match your seat/mirror and a few other settings to the key or programed not to. You need to visit the dealer with the remote key/keys.
As for button having to be held down while in motion is a BMW safety feature to avoid accidentally hitting the button and wrong setting folding you into the seat.
What is it with these damn cars where simple things need to be programmed by the dealer?
I have both a domestic and another import and both can be programmed by the owner.

Also, I was not talking about pressing the button while in motion, just with the drivers door closed. If they wanted to prevent someone from doing it while in motion, that would simple enough to restrict. However if you jump in the car when it is raining, or in a questionable part of town, it would be nice to be able to automatically adjust the seat without leaving the door open to do it.
`
Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Some people have got this sorta correct. There are two different things going on here.

1. A bunch of things need to be programmed by the dealer. Here's a list: http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att2_CKMSet.PDF

2. The driver's seat and mirror settings (IF activated above), and the HVAC and radio settings (if not de-activated above) are retained in the key memories.

The changing of the seat position, etc. happens upon unlocking the car OR upon unlocking the car AND opening the door, depending on the programming in 1.

The settings are stored into the key every time it is put into the ignition and used to start the car. This creates a bit of a catch 22. Say the settings are set by your wife's key and you get in and start the car without unlocking it, then her settings are stored into your key.

If you are going to use this feature with 2 different keys, both people have to get into the habit of unlocking the car (or pressing lock and then unlock on the remote) every time you use it. Somebody always forgets, so you just end up using the seat memory buttons.

ZOMG HALP! *click*

oh hai, i can haz part numbro for florr matz? k thanxz.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
starlights

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Some people have got this sorta correct. There are two different things going on here.

1. A bunch of things need to be programmed by the dealer. Here's a list: http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att2_CKMSet.PDF

2. The driver's seat and mirror settings (IF activated above), and the HVAC and radio settings (if not de-activated above) are retained in the key memories.

The changing of the seat position, etc. happens upon unlocking the car OR upon unlocking the car AND opening the door, depending on the programming in 1.

The settings are stored into the key every time it is put into the ignition and used to start the car. This creates a bit of a catch 22. Say the settings are set by your wife's key and you get in and start the car without unlocking it, then her settings are stored into your key.

If you are going to use this feature with 2 different keys, both people have to get into the habit of unlocking the car (or pressing lock and then unlock on the remote) every time you use it. Somebody always forgets, so you just end up using the seat memory buttons.
Bandersnatch is correct
starlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

Thanks for the detailed response.

WTH is wrong with BMW engineers to make such a screwed up system? First of all, most if not all those setting should be able to be changed/adjusted by the owner. The need to take it to the dealer for programming (and labor cost) is absurd. Furthermore, having a keys setting changed because you insert it into the ignition without unlocking the door first is
My Acura had separate keyfobs with individual settings (self programmed), but if you used one key without having unlocked the door with it, you would just need to make the adjustment with the door button, but your key and it's programming would still retain your individual setting for the next time you used it.
`
Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Yeah, it does seem like BMW engineers got into the 21st century a little late.

In the e90s, I think all these things can be set by the user with the iDrive knob.

ZOMG HALP! *click*

oh hai, i can haz part numbro for florr matz? k thanxz.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
secondchance

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTOR View Post
Thanks for the detailed response.

WTH is wrong with BMW engineers to make such a screwed up system? First of all, most if not all those setting should be able to be changed/adjusted by the owner. The need to take it to the dealer for programming (and labor cost) is absurd. Furthermore, having a keys setting changed because you insert it into the ignition without unlocking the door first is
My Acura had separate keyfobs with individual settings (self programmed), but if you used one key without having unlocked the door with it, you would just need to make the adjustment with the door button, but your key and it's programming would still retain your individual setting for the next time you used it.
`
Added revenue for the dealer? Absurd from our perspective but brilliant from BMW dealer's view.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Added revenue for the dealer? Absurd from our perspective but brilliant from BMW dealer's view.
Well it might be a case of cutting off ones nose to spite their face.
Granted someone who is in love with BMW vs. other manufactures will tolerate it as they do not typically buy a car for programmable electronic features alone. However someone who likes BMW's but will also consider buying another brand might shop elsewhere based on the electronics, which includes easy of interaction with the Nav for example.
From experience I can tell you that Acura's have great interaction with virtually every thing controlled by voice interaction. I'm talking about features like adjusting the a/c temp, fan speed, etc., not just bluetooth phone, Nav and radio.
The bottom line is that it is a royal PIA for you to need to go to the dealer for such things. Just imagine if you could not do any DIY's things like maintenance, but rather needed a special tool that only the dealer had to change the oil. I guess some people would put up with it, but many would be turned off by it.