E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Trax

My Ride: 99' 323i Sedan
Send a message via ICQ to Trax Send a message via AIM to Trax Send a message via Yahoo to Trax
*** Window Problems! PLEASE IDENTIFY This Part! [PICS] ***

Grrr, now two windows have failed! I tired some suggestions here to fix the front right window some weeks ago but due to airbag in the door was hard to see. So last week rolled down the back right window and wouldn't you know it, got stuck down and motor is grinding. Now I have to push the window up by hand. I think I lost count how many have gone bad!

Anyway, I took pictures of this cable that's obviously loose. I think this may have something to do with the problem. Anybody know what part this is and how to fix it?

BTW, I know the earlier models like mine were plague with these problems, anyone know what model years BMW fixed this issue? Thanks for your assistance!

EDIT: Any fanatics here or shops in So-Cal region could inexpensively fix?

This sig has been viewed by fanatics since March 14, 2004

Last edited by Trax; 06-26-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
my guess is that its a broken window regulator. I have had that problem fixed under warranty. It is pretty common, just as crappy window seals on coupes and terrible moonroof shades. I don't know how much it is to fix but i do have the invoice for one fixed under warranty so later I could go to my car and see how much the part and labor was from a dealership
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

My Ride: German Civic
That's a broken window regulator. Common problem, and, fortunately, not too expensive to fix. The regulator itself is around 70 bucks.

You may be able to resecure the cable without buying a new regulator. Try it and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Trax

Send a message via ICQ to Trax Send a message via AIM to Trax Send a message via Yahoo to Trax
Good, so if it's the regulator, I'll buy the part and fix it. I've read the DIY here. Shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Good, so if it's the regulator, I'll buy the part and fix it. I've read the DIY here. Shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks!
I've got a damaged regulator in my front passenger door. The window works, but I'm afraid to roll it down past halfway, with the assorted clicking and cracking noises that start when the window reaches that point.

Just haven't had time to take it apart lately. I'm thinking (hoping is more like it) that if it's somewhat operational, it may be repairable for cheap or even free.

The regulator is a very poor design flaw. Slamming the doors can jar them loose, or cause the cable to slip off. Sometimes even a pothole will do that. I've never seen a problem like it on any other car, and it's annoying.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
Trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
I've got a damaged regulator in my front passenger door. The window works, but I'm afraid to roll it down past halfway, with the assorted clicking and cracking noises that start when the window reaches that point.
This is exactly what's happening on my front right window also. Goes down halfway and makes pops and cracking noises. when going back up it's so slow like it's going to die. Same thing happen to you when you roll it up?

Old 06-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #7
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
This is exactly what's happening on my front right window also. Goes down halfway and makes pops and cracking noises. when going back up it's so slow like it's going to die. Same thing happen to you when you roll it up?
Yep. Exactly the same.

Last time something this was happening, my idiot friend (despite my angry warnings) rolled the window all the way down...and it didn't come back up. Naturally, I needed a new regulator.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:26 AM   #8
kashif

My Ride: Blown 330i
had my window regulator fixed under warranty once.

its been fine ever since.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:50 AM   #9
Saphire_black

My Ride: 330 Ci Convertable
Take care!!!

For those people that are hearing cracks and scratching noises get it checked!!! Mine did this a couple of weeks ago and i ignored it. that was the dumbest thing i did, cause one night it went down and never came back up!! ended up staying awake all night because i dont have a closed parking untill 7 am when the dealership opened.

Current Mods:
1. GruppeM 2. Umintza Halos Enhanced 3. Replica AC Pedals/Dead pedal/Handbrake 4. Z8 start Button 5. Supersprint Oval Exhaust 6. Supersprint headers 7. Supersprint Race Cats 8. Mvr Magnums 19" 9. Bilstien PSS 10. 35% tint

Saphire_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
killahkay559

My Ride: 2004 330ci
my window just did the same thing this morning coming to work. looks like i be going to the stealer to get two new regulators since my passenger one is cracking halfway down.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahkay559 View Post
my window just did the same thing this morning coming to work. looks like i be going to the stealer to get two new regulators since my passenger one is cracking halfway down.
Why are you posting to stuff that's SIX YEARS OLD?
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote