E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #61
queezy1

My Ride: '04 BMW 325 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
so wait...this just is a replacement for the factory alarm siren right...you still got to get the alarm activated by BMW?
No it is not. You just need to have the option activated where your lights flash when you lock, and the clown nose blinks when locked. No alarm needed, just need to be prewired for the alarm, which most are.

If your car is prewired for the alarm, and your lights don't blink when you lock, then just go to the dealer and ask for it to be activated. See my previous post.

2004 325i SMG
Mods: BMW Performance Intake, Carbon Fiber Strut Bar, LED Angel Eyes, Xenesis Head/Fog Lights, Xexon Interiors, Clears all around, Matte Black Grille, M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler, Rear Tint, Black/White Roundels, Silver Trim/Knob, Silver Gauges/Rings, Aluminum Pedals, Alpine MP3 Changer, XM, GPS & Parrot Bluetooth all Hardwired, Alpine Speakers, Sub & Amps wired with Monster Connectors/Wires, Custom Sub Enclosure & Amp Rack
queezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #62
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
im doing this mod this weekend. thanks for the idea!

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #63
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
clown nose blinking and lights flashing when locked is signs of a activated alarm
all your missing is the tilt sensor and the motion sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queezy1 View Post
No it is not. You just need to have the option activated where your lights flash when you lock, and the clown nose blinks when locked. No alarm needed, just need to be prewired for the alarm, which most are.

If your car is prewired for the alarm, and your lights don't blink when you lock, then just go to the dealer and ask for it to be activated. See my previous post.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #64
augie328ci

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to augie328ci
Great DIY.... i just finished took me about 20 mins works great thanks
Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #65
sh00th00ps

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
Great DIY! Just have a couple of questions though. I bought the buzzer which was more rounded and then switched to the siren which was more or a rectangular shape. But i can't get the siren to activate. I can get it to beep during locking and unlocking but can't simulate a breakin and get it to go off. Did i buy the wrong model or am i doing something wrong? By the way the siren i bought sounds exactly like the siren in your video where you simulate the break in. TIA and once again great DIY!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #66
tranceasia8

My Ride: 2003 325i , 03 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00th00ps View Post
Great DIY! Just have a couple of questions though. I bought the buzzer which was more rounded and then switched to the siren which was more or a rectangular shape. But i can't get the siren to activate. I can get it to beep during locking and unlocking but can't simulate a breakin and get it to go off. Did i buy the wrong model or am i doing something wrong? By the way the siren i bought sounds exactly like the siren in your video where you simulate the break in. TIA and once again great DIY!
Easiest way to test it is to roll down the driver side window. Arm the car, reach in and either unlock the door by pushing the button or just grab the handle. The doors should unlock, just open it and it should go off.

work in progress.....

$5 Lock Beep DIY- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=761104
tranceasia8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #67
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
awesome DIY, i've been wanting to get an OEM alarm for god knows how long... $4 later...

i got the 273-0059... i'm taking it back because i don't think 75db is loud enough... however the wires are right there so that will literally take me a minute haha
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #68
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Quote:
I just did this mod and am seeing the same thing. My car is set to flash the lights on lock/unlock and the clown nose flashes. I get the chirp, but no siren. I tried opening both the doors and the hood.

There may be a couple of different settings on the alarm related options.

Still a cool mod.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #69
sh00th00ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceasia8 View Post
Easiest way to test it is to roll down the driver side window. Arm the car, reach in and either unlock the door by pushing the button or just grab the handle. The doors should unlock, just open it and it should go off.
yea i tried that and for some reason it still didnt go off. what model do u have? and also is there anyway to make the alarm go off with the key?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #70
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Awesome DIY and price!! but a quick question...

if someone breaks in and the buzzer goes off.... will it stay on until it drains the battery, or will it reset itself after a few seconds? If it doesnt auto reset, you guys are going to drive your neighbors CRAZY if someone were to break into your car...

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #71
JJR4884

if someone breaks into my car, i'm not gonna give two shiits about my neighbors or my battery, i'm gonna hope that my car is ok and not torn into 5,000 pieces
Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #72
JJR4884

oh and FYI, i exchanged mine today for 273-060A

86db..... nice, but still not loud enough IMO....... i could barely hear it over the actual clicks my car makes from the doors locking

Old 05-09-2010, 02:38 AM   #73
sh00th00ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
oh and FYI, i exchanged mine today for 273-060A

86db..... nice, but still not loud enough IMO....... i could barely hear it over the actual clicks my car makes from the doors locking

try the 102 db siren. just wondering, is the one you exchanged it for a buzzer or siren, and also does it go off when u simulate a break in?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #74
JJR4884

Quote:
try the 102 db siren. just wondering, is the one you exchanged it for a buzzer or siren, and also does it go off when u simulate a break in?
its a buzzer.... piezo (sp?) and i think it just holds the beep.... like... "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

there was another one that was 90db, but it was an "element" ...

they didn't have an 102db in there... i'll have to search around for it, until then, my $4.49 mod is lovely haha
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #75
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Quote:
if someone breaks into my car, i'm not gonna give two shiits about my neighbors or my battery, i'm gonna hope that my car is ok and not torn into 5,000 pieces
OK, but would anyone, or the OP, who has done this mod mind seeing if it does reset after a few seconds? i would think that the buzzer (or any real alarm for that matter) would scare off a would be thief, and I personally would rather the buzzer scare them off, and I be able to drive my car away... especially if you happen to be in a shady part of the city.. Thanks!!

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #76
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
my door locks click so loudly, i can hear them from many yards away so this might be pointless for me.

but great thread, nice nearly free mod!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #77
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Quote:
yea i tried that and for some reason it still didnt go off. what model do u have? and also is there anyway to make the alarm go off with the key?
I think I read in the manual that holding one of the buttons (pos trunk button) will set off the panic alarm, but I suppose it might need to be programmed by a stealership to do that as well.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #78
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
sweet
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #79
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
my door locks click so loudly, i can hear them from many yards away so this might be pointless for me.

but great thread, nice nearly free mod!
thats why i'm going up to 100db... or basically as loud as i can get lol

my car locking sounds like a prison cell closing after your 25-L sentence

15 feet away from the car you can barely hear the beap, and right now its 86db, this is being in front of the car, front passenger side to be precise (right where the buzzer is)

standing behind the car? forget it, you'd never hear it
Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #80
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Quote:
thats why i'm going up to 100db... or basically as loud as i can get lol

my car locking sounds like a prison cell closing after your 25-L sentence

15 feet away from the car you can barely hear the beap, and right now its 86db, this is being in front of the car, front passenger side to be precise (right where the buzzer is)

standing behind the car? forget it, you'd never hear it
have you thought about tying in more than one?

also. did you add length to your wiring for this? i have the RS siren with a few inches of cord on it already. should i look to get longer cord? what gauge did you use? thanks.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote