E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #24121
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
sensationalism.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #24122
Impulsed7

My Ride: just an M3, sort of
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
ive done pullies. i swear up and down the car spools up quicker than it did before, but people say its in my head. i know what i felt. maybe it was just my car and the condition of my pullies and tensioners.
Truth. I dont think they gain any power really, and I dont underdrive the alternator usually (the ecu just runs it harder with an underdrive pulley on there). I think the major factor is reduction in rotating mass. Ordering a PS pulley as soon as I can figure out what company makes the euro kit, or if a US pulley will fit mine.

just registered for the sumo show.

I broke a bolt for the wing when I was trying to take it off to tighten the top part. so the top is now tight to the bottom, but I got one spinning heli-coil on one side, and a broken bolt on the other. was thinking about epoxying it to the trunk, but I'm just gonna roll like this for now.

If anyone is interested in buying the wing to try to fix it just let me know. I'll get ya a good price...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #24123
The Law

My Ride: 1993 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marineifra View Post
omg...that little ass thing is what we were after?
Quote:
ive done pullies. i swear up and down the car spools up quicker than it did before, but people say its in my head. i know what i felt. maybe it was just my car and the condition of my pullies and tensioners.
Well what I've heard is that it decreases the wear on the accessories also making the pulleys spin at a lower rpm and should give you a little more power to the motor.
The Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #24124
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
I bought two custom "race" pullies from here a while back. It was for the WP and PSP, and the PSP was huge
Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #24125
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ the pullies are generally lighter, and sometimes they are gears higher, so they spin whatever accesoriy slower, which is why my steering wheel got heavier after my RE pullies.
It was PS and WP on my kit.
My Rogue units were just barely bigger, id say the WP pulley was maybe 1/4 or 1/8" wider and the PS damn near the same size, maybe 1/16th bigger

In theory, its almost the same theory as drag guys that convert to electric water pumps. even BMW is going this route on their newer engines, the N54 has an electric water pump is i understand correctly, all these combined reduce the parasetic drag, and load on the engine throughout its entire range.
It may not be measureable on a dyno, but it makes for a more efficent motor, as less energy is lost driving accesories. Thats a fact no one can dispute. The less powerful the motor, the more effective that change will be, which is why them Honda boys ALWAYS have them done, as they arent torquey motors.

The day i did mine, i just changed the belts and pullies. as soon as i moved off the steering was heavier, as soon as got on the HWY i rap into the rev limiter, quick. i was suprised at how quickly i hit it, then 2nd gear, same thing, hit it again. in my case, the engine just spooled up a lot quicker.

Id even go as far as to say, if youve got over 100k miles and your on original pullies, if you get aftermarket pullies, YOU WILL notice a difference.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #24126
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
i have thought about pullies, but never taken the plunge. probably will when I replace my water pump near 100K, which is like 15000 miles off so it will be a while... from what I have read if you notice the difference in power from when you are running AC in summer to when it is off is about the amount of power difference you can expect from pullies. Personally I can notice the difference when I am running my AC, but it is by no means a big difference.
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #24127
The Law

My Ride: 1993 325i
Does anyone know where I can get VP M1 methanol?
The Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #24128
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ less powerful engine, so thse little things will be more apparent
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #24129
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quick question for the e46 guys, anyone have issues with their wiper fluid tank leaking? Mostly in winter I will notice if I havent driven the car for a few days and it had been really cold out, I will get in the car and the wiper fluid light will be on and I will be low on fluid. I happened to get in the car a few weeks back and the light was on and my fluid was low. I never notice a puddle under the car, and usually I go all spring thru fall without any issues. I am assuming it is a seal or something on the bottom of the fluid tank where it goes into the pump, maybe when it is really cold the seal shrinks and lets fluid leak, but that wouldnt explain how it happened a few weeks ago, and after I topped it up it has been fine since, no drop in the fluid level.

So anyone ever have issues with their wiper fluid being low/leaking or ideas of what to look at on the tank?
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #24130
Impulsed7

My Ride: just an M3, sort of
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Law View Post
Does anyone know where I can get VP M1 methanol?
using for fuel or meth injection?

if its for meth injection, just use HEET from walmart, the one in the yellow bottle only. the red one is a different kind of alcohol.

if its for fuel in large quantities this place will ship.
http://www.rippmods.com/category_s/80.htm

and didnt daves m3 do that leaky washer fluid thing too? ended up being the seal where the pump was? or was that my buddy marty?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #24131
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
Quick question for the e46 guys, anyone have issues with their wiper fluid tank leaking? Mostly in winter I will notice if I havent driven the car for a few days and it had been really cold out, I will get in the car and the wiper fluid light will be on and I will be low on fluid. I happened to get in the car a few weeks back and the light was on and my fluid was low. I never notice a puddle under the car, and usually I go all spring thru fall without any issues. I am assuming it is a seal or something on the bottom of the fluid tank where it goes into the pump, maybe when it is really cold the seal shrinks and lets fluid leak, but that wouldnt explain how it happened a few weeks ago, and after I topped it up it has been fine since, no drop in the fluid level.

So anyone ever have issues with their wiper fluid being low/leaking or ideas of what to look at on the tank?
yeah i did once, it was the washer pump, when the pump is bad, they tend to leak. sometimes they leak and the bump still works. So check the pump.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #24132
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post

Yep, two things can go out. The seals inside the pump and the exterior seal that seals the pump to the tank. If the inside seals fail, there is a little port on the side of the pump that will allow all the fluid to pour out of. If it's the exterior seal, you will notice problems similar to what you're experiencing. I got a new pump and seal from eBay for like $15-20 so I would recommend replacing everything. This was one of the first things I replaced and the cheap old pump is still tip-top.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #24133
idriveane34

My Ride: kills bugs
i was just offered a set of mpar reps wrapped for $400. fack.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #24134
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ what happened to the ones u have now, i see u were trying to get rid of them?

oh $400, thats what BFs are for... just sayin
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #24135
robb1887

My Ride: 00 Mshoe
Headed to Racewerks today to get my car checked on... oil light is playing games with me, but Im hoping it was just a little low on the hot day so it couldnt keep pressure in low rpm traffic... who knows, Ill find out today hopefully. Anyone need me to check anything while Im there??
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #24136
robb1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveane34 View Post
i was just offered a set of mpar reps wrapped for $400. fack.
That Richie?? I was looking at them but realized the offset was wrong haha... those things are in MINT condition too.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #24137
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
Headed to Racewerks today to get my car checked on... oil light is playing games with me, but Im hoping it was just a little low on the hot day so it couldnt keep pressure in low rpm traffic... who knows, Ill find out today hopefully. Anyone need me to check anything while Im there??
how do you know the pressure was low? low oil pressure is NEVER a good sign, oil pump at a minimum usually. hopefully its just a bad sensor tho
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #24138
idriveane34

Quote:
That Richie?? I was looking at them but realized the offset was wrong haha... those things are in MINT condition too.
ricky... and yeah.

he picked up an e38 and wants different wheels for it... so i was talking to him about his headliner and whatnot. gonna work something out.

i need to sell these milles though.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #24139
robb1887

Quote:
how do you know the pressure was low? low oil pressure is NEVER a good sign, oil pump at a minimum usually. hopefully its just a bad sensor tho
Hoping, thats what were testing today. the light would flicker on and off... might just need to do an oil change to something that gets a little thicker at higher temps... this was after driving for an hour then sitting in stop and go with 90+ degree temps... only running a 5-30 weight, might bump up to 40-50 weight with my next change

Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveane34 View Post
ricky... and yeah.

he picked up an e38 and wants different wheels for it... so i was talking to him about his headliner and whatnot. gonna work something out.

i need to sell these milles though.
Ehh I was close for only meeting the guy once. I've seen a few set of millie's on bf.c going recently, prolly have better luck selling them local.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #24140
idriveane34

Quote:
Ehh I was close for only meeting the guy once. I've seen a few set of millie's on bf.c going recently, prolly have better luck selling them local.
I was planning on keeping it local, just because I don't feel like shipping wheels. Ugh.