E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
gtompk

My Ride: 2004 330ci
tires

I own a 2004 330CI with an M package, 92000 km 0n the clock and switch tires according to season. I am getting ready to install my summers and have ~33300km on a set of Continental Sport 3, I may be able to squeeze a few more kilometres out of them, OEM were Bridgestone Potenzas which didn't last and got noisier as they wore.
My driving habits are somewhat spirited, but mostly long highway trips.
Any suggestions?
gtompk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
It depends on what type of tire you want. If you're looking for a max performance summer tire, I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I have the Pilot Sports on my M3 and the Eagle F1s on my 325xi's summer rims. Both are great, but the Eagle F1s are a little better in the rain and when it gets colder (below 40) outside.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hey- I have vredestein ultrac sessantas on my xi and love them. Tough as nails too.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
I like the tires you currently have, ContiSportCon3s. These are the only tires I have had on my car that felt good enough to allow me to hit the speed limiter (136 on GPS), on a cool, rainy night!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Kubica

Dunlop Star Spec gets top ratings, but won't last as long as your conti's.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
For the driving you are describing, I like the Conti Contact 3 and the newer Extreme Contact DW. For a tire with even longer wear and softer ride (but a step down in dry grip and steering response), I'd consider the Bridgestone RE760 Sport.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...ires/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
nostradamvs8

My Ride: 330i
How do these handle on dry and wet surfaces and corners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Hey- I have vredestein ultrac sessantas on my xi and love them. Tough as nails too.

Last edited by nostradamvs8; 05-11-2010 at 06:34 PM.
nostradamvs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostradamvs8 View Post
How do these handle on dry and wet surfaces and corners?
Fantastic. I use them on the street/track/autox. Obviously not the stickiest tires but I really like them and am competitive in autox. They are the best tires I've ever driven in the wet- they just kind of explode puddles when you hit them. In the dry, I never feel like I'm lacking grip. They do flatspot slightly. I'm at 4/32" left and they are just starting to slide on damp/wet pavement slightly when pushed really hard at the track.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
JustMadeTheCut

My Ride: bmw-yamaha
i have over 2000 miles on my conti DW's and i can vouch for all of the great reviews. theyre the best bang for the buck that ive experienced.
JustMadeTheCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
I'm replacing my summers with Continental Extreme Contact DW. Part of me wants to get the DWS so I don't have to swamp wheels/tires for winter
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
JustMadeTheCut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I'm replacing my summers with Continental Extreme Contact DW. Part of me wants to get the DWS so I don't have to swamp wheels/tires for winter
you wont unless theres a lot of snow in "Gotham". I actually originally bought the DWS's and drove them for a month in turrential rain. they were amazing but dry limit was not as good as i wanted to commit to. dont get me wrong, they were excellent but secretly, i really didnt like the way they looked. they have a really disgusting tread pattern in person and looked tarded on my 19''. so i swapped them with the DW's which i have now. It rained for a good month for me with the DW's as well and i can honestly say the wet tracking is just as good. If you are looking for a tire to get you through a lot of snow, i think the DWS's will work the first year, but it doesnt seem like the snow tread will take you through multiple seasons very well. It snows maybe a couple times a year here and i'll take my chances with the DW's. it rains 9 months out of the year and they have been superb so far. dry performance has been fantastic as well

Last edited by JustMadeTheCut; 05-12-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMadeTheCut View Post
you wont unless theres a lot of snow in "Gotham".
You be the judge:

Old 05-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
JustMadeTheCut

well, seattle looks like that maybe once or twice a year but it usually just dumps and then it slowly melts away. if its like that a lot, then yah i wouldnt try n drive on it w/ the DW's!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMadeTheCut View Post
well, seattle looks like that maybe once or twice a year but it usually just dumps and then it slowly melts away. if its like that a lot, then yah i wouldnt try n drive on it w/ the DW's!
Think I'll manage with DWS's though? Chicago is virtually flat except the on-ramps. They also do an excellent job of plowing and salting the roads. There have been times where I've driven through a few inches of snow, but those were with my dedicated winters.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
JustMadeTheCut

well, i personally dont have any snow experience with the DWS's but they are a "snow" tire. there are three stamps on the tread: "d" for dry, has the deepest stamp, "w" for wet, has the second deepest, and the "s" for snow, stamp is the shallowest. the theory is that your car is good for snow till the "s" rubs off and so forth. when i looked at it, it seemed like the "s" was stamped pretty shallow, but the snow tread was definitely much deeper. these tires are supposed to be a very long lasting tire esp for how soft they feel. if you are mounting them any time soon, i would think youre gonna scrub off some of that valuable tread this summer under enthusiastic driving. But personally, I dont know how many seasons they'll last you. could be several but i wouldnt know and theyre a fairly new model so the true longterm review is up in the air. from what you described, i am 100% confident in the tires as they come. i just worry about the years after. i would probably guess they'll take you 24k miles w/o problems in snow. when it snows here, its chaotic. not enough snow plows, LOTS of elevation change, and no one really knows how to drive in the snow very well. so its a little different b/c this only happens maybe once or twice a year. I would definitely keep them as a top choice. ask some more people about snow options specifically and maybe find some that have used DWS's in the snow. the tread leaves me believing in them in the snow but thats just opinion. I will vouch for the extremely wet conditions. they are also extremely quiet. for a "snow" tire, they grip extremely well in the dry. hth