E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Don B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 935
My Ride: 325i (RHD)
235 35 19 on 9.5? Yes/No?

Have searched, can't quite find the answer!

Put Linea Corse L22s on my car at the weekend, and am getting a little
rubbing on the rears.

My current setup is 255 30 19 on the 9.5 ET42 rears (photo below).

Would a 235 35 19 tyre stop the rubbing I'm getting? Don't want to roll the
fenders, as I don't trust a shop here to do it correctly.

Would putting 235 35 19's on the 9.5's be a valid option, or would it be
dangerous (and look ridiculous)?

Any advice greatly received!

Current setup.

__________________

Last edited by Don B; 05-10-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
VMRWheels
Sponsor
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,792
My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Looks like camber or a narrower tire would be the only option if you are not looking to fender roll. Adding about a half degree or a 245 tire will help.

-Charles@VMRWheels
__________________
Kevin @ VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email: kevin.a@velocitymotoring.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Don B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 935
My Ride: 325i (RHD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Looks like camber or a narrower tire would be the only option if you are not looking to fender roll. Adding about a half degree or a 245 tire will help.

-Charles@VMRWheels
Thanks for the reply!

Have to get a 4 wheel allignment done anyway, as I've installed Eibachs, will see what they can do.

Also, would machining 3mm off the back of the wheel to bring the offset from ET42 to ET45 present problems?
I contacted a shop that said they could do safely as long as there was enough material to work with.
__________________
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
VMRWheels
Sponsor
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,792
My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Have to get a 4 wheel allignment done anyway, as I've installed Eibachs, will see what they can do.

Also, would machining 3mm off the back of the wheel to bring the offset from ET42 to ET45 present problems?
I contacted a shop that said they could do safely as long as there was enough material to work with.
Machining of the rear hub can be done but IMO, fender rolling is a much easier process then machining the rear hub of a wheel.

-Charles@VMRWheels
__________________
Kevin @ VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email: kevin.a@velocitymotoring.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Don B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 935
My Ride: 325i (RHD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Machining of the rear hub can be done but IMO, fender rolling is a much easier process then machining the rear hub of a wheel.

-Charles@VMRWheels
Thanks for the further thoughts.

I really want to bring the wheels in a little, as they stick out too far imo...and I'm not lowered
enough to pull off the look.
__________________
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
VMRWheels
Sponsor
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,792
My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
Thanks for the further thoughts.

I really want to bring the wheels in a little, as they stick out too far imo...and I'm not lowered
enough to pull off the look.
Adding a hair bit of camber may help that. You can still run some slight camber and have the correct toe for perfect alignment and even tread wear.

Depending on how thick the back pad is, machining is possible, but definitely double check with the manufacturer before doing so.

-Charles@VMRWheels
__________________
Kevin @ VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email: kevin.a@velocitymotoring.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
ZeHP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 249
My Ride: 330i ZHP
i ran a 235/35/19 on my 9.5 lm rep. the mild stretch looks really aggressive yet classy it will fit on the wheel fine it is within spec. however I did have my fenders rolled so I cant attest to your situation with possible rubbing-- however i do know others on this forum that run 255/30 and have no rubbing whatsoever as long as you roll the fender. it's your decision. good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 090.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	359993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 082.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	359994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 072.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	359995  
__________________
330i ZHP



"It's pretty much an M!"
"No it's not."

Last edited by ZeHP; 05-12-2010 at 12:25 AM.
ZeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Rolling your fenders and a slight increase of negative camber on the rears should take care of your problem.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
Don B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 935
My Ride: 325i (RHD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Adding a hair bit of camber may help that. You can still run some slight camber and have the correct toe for perfect alignment and even tread wear.

Depending on how thick the back pad is, machining is possible, but definitely double check with the manufacturer before doing so.

-Charles@VMRWheels
I presume machining the back of the wheel would void any warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHP View Post
i ran a 235/35/19 on my 9.5 lm rep. the mild stretch looks really aggressive yet classy it will fit on the wheel fine it is within spec. however I did have my fenders rolled so I cant attest to your situation with possible rubbing-- however i do know others on this forum that run 255/30 and have no rubbing whatsoever as long as you roll the fender. it's your decision. good luck
Thanks for the photos, gives me a good idea, same brand of tyre I'm running too. What offsets were those rear wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Rolling your fenders and a slight increase of negative camber on the rears should take care of your problem.
Going to explore my other options first, getting someone to do a good job at
fender rolling where I am could prove difficult.
__________________

Last edited by Don B; 05-12-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
VMRWheels
Sponsor
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,792
My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
I presume machining the back of the wheel would void any warranty?
Most if not all manufacturers would void the warranty if any modifications are done to the wheels that could compromise the strength and safety.

-Charles@VMRWheels
__________________
Kevin @ VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email: kevin.a@velocitymotoring.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use