E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Alternative Lock beep

199K views 361 replies 167 participants last post by  jeepo23 
#1 · (Edited)
***Update for video clip and siren test!!***
Hey guys this is my first DIY so please dont burn me too bad lol.
Pics taken from my phone, ill get some better ones up soon.

I got the idea from the GodsSon lockbeep thread.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=687303&highlight=lock+beep

This is just a more simplified process and is just for entertainment.

***UPDATE***

After speaking with a tech at the dealership. They confirm that this will only work with vehicles ARE programed to flash. It usually cost about $60 to have them do it.

Sorry for not putting that info out there sooner.
My vehicle is already programmed to flash the lights and the clown nose. If yours isnt programmed it can be done at the dealer.

List:

T-30 torx
Electronic buzzer- Radio Shack 90dB Piezo Pulse Model: 273-060

Time: 45 minutes easy DIY

Step one:

Remove the twist clips holding down the cover to the cabin air filter. Remove cover and filter.

Step two:
Remove (4) T-30 torx screws holding the filter tray and carefully separate the wire harness from the loom.

Step three:
Remove (2) torx screws holding the protective cover for the blend air box. There is one to the left side by the A/c charging port and the other by the DME.

Step four:
Locate pre-wired alarm siren plug. Usually taped to the left side.

Step five
Locate Black wire w/ Blue stripe far left, bottom hole.
Then locate Brown wire w/ Black stripe left upper hole.

Step six:
Pin the ground wire into the lower left hole.
Pin the positive wire into the upper left hole.

~~~ Test your key.
CAR SHOULD BEEP TWICE TO UNLOCK.
(NOTE) YOU MUST HOLD DOWN THE HOOD TRIGGER TO HEAR IT BEEP ONCE AND LOCK!

Step seven:
After deciding where you want to mount your buzzer mount it down with double-sided tape this is where I mounted mine.
** Switch for a bigger buzzer so that the sound is louder***

Step eight:
Put everything back together and enjoy.
if you got any questions please feel free to ask.

****Bonus!! Buzzer/ siren doubles as an alarm*******

See less See more
#86 ·
just got radioshack model number 273-079... Im going to try to get it installed tonight... any mounting Ideas?

I also out of curiosity tried simulating a break in on my car since my clown nose flashes... no siren (yet) of course, but I noticed when I got in... the clown nose was flashing like crazy when I started the car. Im guessing the alarm function has been turned on?

I've been trying to find out if the simulated breakin alarm goes off after a while w no luck... so once i try it ill post what I find in case anyone else cares... if this ends up being a $5 alarm, OP... good find/idea bro!!

#91 · (Edited)
just got radioshack model number 273-079... Im going to try to get it installed tonight... any mounting Ideas?
I just did double sided tape on the firewall in the drug bin.

I also out of curiosity tried simulating a break in on my car since my clown nose flashes... no siren (yet) of course, but I noticed when I got in... the clown nose was flashing like crazy when I started the car. Im guessing the alarm function has been turned on?
Mine did not do that, so if you want the siren you may be in luck.

i think i know which one you are talking about... they are in the the drawer above the little ones, right?
Yes.

does it still sound the same, or does it have a different tone?

i'll go buy one right now if its the same sound just louder :)
It sounds similar. See post #42. The video has a couple of chirps and the siren.

#93 ·
OP gets a huge :thumbsup: for this...

Bought my car used, with the flashing lights/clown nose function on already, so I cant say what was activated by dealer...
Install was super easy, 30 minutes and $5 later I have an alarm!

*doors lock... 1 beep, lights flash once
*doors unlock... 2 beeps, lights flash twice
*hold the trunk open button for about 5 seconds... panic alarm goes off, no flashing lights
*simulated break in after you lock the car... alarm goes off, no flashing lights, auto resets after about 20 seconds... when you unlock the car to get in... clown nose flashes like crazy to let you know the alarm went off.

Thats all I can say about my experience with this mod. I wish I was more auto electronics savy so I can play around with the other 2 wires on the siren plug... maybe the siren sends signal to the lights to flash when the alarm goes off?? I read somewhere that all the alarm kit has is 2 sensors and the siren, but the brain of the alarm is attached to the cars computer.

you cant beat this diy for the price.... period

#99 ·
Thats all I can say about my experience with this mod. I wish I was more auto electronics savy so I can play around with the other 2 wires on the siren plug... maybe the siren sends signal to the lights to flash when the alarm goes off?? I read somewhere that all the alarm kit has is 2 sensors and the siren, but the brain of the alarm is attached to the cars computer.
I looked up the wiring in WDS. The two wires we tapped into are the #4-siren (from the general module control unit) and #1-siren return.

The other two wires go directly to the tilt sensor (#2) and to a fuse (#3). The OEM alarm has some internal circuitry. I believe it includes a capacitor that is used to drive the siren if the battery is disconnected without disarming the alarm.

#95 ·
Ok i have a question. I have the 2730079 piezo siren from radioshack. Befor installation, my clown nose and lights would blink when lockin and unlocking. After installation, the siren would chirp when i lock and unlock, however i could not get the siren to go off with the trunk key or with a break in simulation. So, i went to the dealership to ask someone, and their techs were out apparently, so I talked to one of the guys there and he said he can't advise on anything since its aftermarket, but he offered to read my key to check if I was even pre-wired for the alarm. Apparently i was not :dunno:

So, if you dont want to read the above, this is my question:
Can your car blink the lights and clown nose even if you are not pre-wired for the alarm? And what can i do to make my siren go off?

TIA :thanks:

#100 · (Edited)
Here's my side of the story.
When I lock my car, there's a light that blinks by the radio. The clown nose has never lit up. I plugged the red into the brown/black and the black into the black/blue. Nothing happened ( I held down the hood trigger).
EDIT:

The only combination for inputs that returns a sound are RED(from buzzer) into Input 1. Black into Input 2. That's a constant LOUD siren immidiately when connected
Combination in OP doesn't produce the unlock/lock beep. In my trunk, it says i'm prewired for a security system too :(

Anyone have luck on a 2000 3series or know what i'm doing wrong?

#101 ·
Here's my side of the story.
When I lock my car, there's a light that blinks by the radio. The clown nose has never lit up. I plugged the red into the brown/black and the black into the black/blue. Nothing happened ( I held down the hood trigger).
Do your parking lights flash when you lock/unlock? If that option is enabled then usually the audible arm/disable is enabled.

The only combination for inputs that returns a sound are RED(from buzzer) into Input 1. Black into Input 2. That's a constant LOUD siren immidiately when connected
Your numbers and mine aren't the same, but those inputs sound like red to power (fused input) and black to ground (siren return), which just continuously drives the buzzer/siren.

#112 ·
There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how the alarm
works.

Besides what the dealer tells you, it's not quite accurate.

When they program the indicators to flash when you lock and unlock, they activated half of your alarm.

They did not complete a retrofit, they turned on "DWA", which gives a fault code to your general module because it can't find the alarm components, but it makes the car flash during unlock and lock. It also sends a signal to the siren wire - the wire that you're using.

So - the reason why, when panic mode is used, no lights flash is because you don't have an "alarm"

Panic mode should have your highbeam flash and indicators with siren when you have a fully retro'd alarm

I myself like having a complete oem alarm, for safety and I mean you're drivin a BMW. Tilt/motion and with a small 10 dollar diy - shock sensor.

recap - you need to have DWA activated for this to work.

Hope this helps.

#117 ·
after you take the 2 cabin air filter pieces out, there should be a opening in the back of your engine bay. the plug should be taped up on the top left (passenger side) in there. i had to stick my arm pretty far in there to get it out.
if you still can't find it, stand back on the driver side of your car and look in there. u should be able to see it from there

#119 ·
i just have afew questions to ask :) atm my car does not blink apon locking or beep, i went to the dealership to see if they are about to program the car for visual confirmation of locking they can do it for $55.

My question is would i also need to get the alarm enabled even though i do not have a OEM alarm installed because i would like the siren to go off if i simulate a break-in? i just dont wanna go to the dealership twice to get my car programmed again.

My second question is how much current could be drawn from the connector under the cabin air filter? because i bought a 125db siren which draws 1.3amps just need to know if i should use a realy or not :)

thanks

#123 ·
Very Cool! I have ti try it out.

#125 ·
Did it, thanks!

#126 · (Edited)
i get a constant buzz :( i dont know what to do. my lights flash when i lock/unlock the car

meanwhile i figure out how to get a wire from the side turn signal to the engine bay its wired inside the fender because for some reason or another the front corner lights are not as powerful as the little tiny fender turn signal which powers the siren perfectly.

BAM, i ran the wire installed the siren next to the hood vent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.