E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Freedman

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Exclamation Who just drives the car w/o all the freakin' modding?

I just wonder how many fanatics just take pride in driving and maintaining their car w/o out always, always feeling they have to be doing something to it. If you're inclined to mod the hell of of your car, go for it, but for me I love it the way it rolled off the showroom floor. To each his own, but at some point with excessive modding your BMW becomes afflicted with schizoid personality disorder. No one quite knows what it is anymore.
Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Mar 2010

42 posts.

snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
autothug

My Ride: MB sprinter, E92
Send a message via AIM to autothug
autothug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
if my car is stockies, i have already sold it long time ago...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
well this is a 'fanatics' forum, people are going to be obsessed. People here think the e46 cures cancer.

Anyway, my car is stock. Maybe one day I'll put wheels on it and performance suspension when it comes time to replace it.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Then why are you on this site?

It is indeed called E46fanatics, not E46wellthiscarisokthewayitissowhymodit

I think some, if not most, of the people on here have always enjoyed modding their car, making it their own. But yes, there is a point at which too much is too much, but when done in good taste, the possibilities are endless.

How do you think Toyota sells so many damn Scion's? Personalization
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
dkrab

My Ride: 2000 323i
No mods. Not worth the money. Often the modders think they're smarter than BMW engineers. They end up with cars that are almost undriveable in real world situations. That said, not all modders are so bent on wasting money modding for the hell of it. Sometimes they mod them for track or are willing to compromise the balance of everyday driveablility and performance the BMW engineers worked hard to achieve. But for me, I like the way BMW set up the car, it's why I bought it.

I'd guess the OP is on the site for the same reason I am, to benefit from the library of known problems and fixes, many of which were posted by previous generations of members.

If you like modding, great, spend your money, enjoy your car. Just don't think people who don't mod are not fanatical about their car. A fanatic may be fanatical about keeping it all original.

Last edited by dkrab; 05-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.
dkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Illogical_Mind

My Ride: 2000 323Ci Conv.
Really? You're that offended by personalizing something? Ricing out a car till it looks like a space station obviously uncalled for. Adding a carbon fiber iPod dock that looks factory to replace the ashtray, not really worth needing a xanax (good job to whoever that was, it looks nice). You seem like one of those people that will stand in the rain to protest against throwing rice at a wedding because its bad for birds. Calm down.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
Wow touchy subject...Personally i think someone is mentally retarded if they can look at the stock sedan bumper and be happy with it....it looks like Sh1t...SO MODDING FTW

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Marcb2g

My Ride: E46///M3
Have had mine for almost a year now and its just a plan old stock 330ci just like the day I got it except for tent and stereo equipment. BUT the only reason is cause its not worth it, these cars arent worth the money you spend for the little amounts of power you gain (unless you own a 335i or M3). This is why im keeping it stock to trade in on a 335i or M3 in the near future. Even still its hard resiting the urge to modify, there are tons of things that will bring out the true look and power (or lack there of) in these cars that would never come from the factory.
Marcb2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
CBIRDave

My Ride: CB M3
i have an M3. no reason to mod it, its perfect off the show room.....but im a fanatic so i dump all my money into it and mod it anyways....modding FTW.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrab View Post
No mods. Not worth the money. Often the modders think they're smarter than BMW engineers. They end up with cars that are almost undriveable in real world situations. That said, not all modders are so bent on wasting money modding for the hell of it. Sometimes they mod them for track or are willing to compromise the balance of everyday driveablility and performance the BMW engineers worked hard to achieve. But for me, I like the way BMW set up the car, it's why I bought it.

I'd guess the OP is on the site for the same reason I am, to benefit from the library of known problems and fixes, many of which were posted by previous generations of members.

If you like modding, great, spend your money, enjoy your car. Just don't think people who don't mod are not fanatical about their car. A fanatic may be fanatical about keeping it all original.
+1 Agreed

The only thing is though, modders do not think they are smarter than BMW Engineers (well some do actually) but, there are ways to make the car better for one's own personal liking. It's not like the engineers couldn't think of a way to make the car perform better, they just chose not to in order to attract a certain crowd in the car market. The 3 series for example is suppose to be a comfortable yet fun car with a balance of power and handling. To some people it's perfect, to others, they want to take away the comfortable part in return for better handling. Doesn't mean BMW didn't think about this when they made the car, they just knew not as many people would buy it.
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
dkrab

If you like it better with modifications, go for it. But to think people who like it as is are retarded, well, that opinion speaks for itself. The people who radically modifiy their cars are taking over this site, and the people who work to keep it like new and as original as possible are fading. This likely has to do with the changing demographic. In other words, the older guys are moving on to newer cars, while the younger guys are increasing in number here. Just keep in mind that it's an older car now, and know that money you pour into mods is money you will never get back. Don't kid yourself into thinking your mods increase the value of the car. If it makes you like it better, great, but what you like will not likely be what a buyer would like. Don't pour so much money into the thing that you could have bought a new car.

I am glad there are still a few people here who aren't caught up in a frenzy of modding, they provide good info for people that just want to keep the car running right. It has been getting a bit frustrating lately when I click on a thread with a title about some driveability issue or CEL, and find the poster has replaced the intake manifold, exhaust system, air filter, added a turbo, and has made who knows what other changes and neglected who knows what that should have been fixed before it was ever modded, and then is wondering why the car doesn't run right. So many more of these types of posts than there used to be. Maybe other members can help these guys, but usually you have to be there with the car to diagnose something that has had so many mods.

Well, best of luck to you guys, modders and non-modders. To each his own.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedman View Post
I just wonder how many fanatics just take pride in driving and maintaining their car w/o out always, always feeling they have to be doing something to it. If you're inclined to mod the hell of of your car, go for it, but for me I love it the way it rolled off the showroom floor. To each his own, but at some point with excessive modding your BMW becomes afflicted with schizoid personality disorder. No one quite knows what it is anymore.
First I think it depends on what you mean by mods. If you mean performance mods, I understand where you are coming from except for maybe the M3 crowd. These cars are not speed demons and never will be, so I do not understand the need to mod them for HP when there are plenty of other cars they will never be able to compete with. Then again I fell that way about most cars, especially sedans.

Now if you are talking about aftermarket stereos, alarms, navigation, bluetooth, etc. or maybe something to jazz up the look, then we part ways on that. Many people who buy an e46 love the car, but want to improve some of it's weaker aspects like the aforementioned. Some also like to personalize it from everyone else's.
I see nothing wrong or unusual about that.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Mine's my daily driver and road-tripper, so I have to keep some modicum of comfort and reliability. It has to stay driveable and reliable, that's my #1 priority. I have some mods that improve its utility as a daily driver (aux input cable, USB power outlets, new VANOS seals, window tint).

I also do some autocrossing. It's a fun hobby, but it doesn't consume my life. So, I have a few mods that are oriented to autocross performance (Turner sway bars, powerflex LCABs, sticky summer tires instead of hard but long-lasting all-seasons). I won't add anything that will add performance at the expense of comfort or reliability; I'm even second-guessing my choice of LCABs since they definitely increase the harshness in the steering wheel while driving.

I also have a handful of cosmetic mods (low-dust Akebono pads, drilled rotors, clears, matte black grilles). I definitely won't add any cosmetic mods that will decrease performance or compromise comfort or reliability (no big heavy wheels with stretched tires, no silly "stanced" suspension that will scrape going into my driveway, etc). My front bumper is starting to show its age, so I may eventually replace that with an aftermarket bumper.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
dkrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
+1 Agreed

The only thing is though, modders do not think they are smarter than BMW Engineers (well some do actually) but, there are ways to make the car better for one's own personal liking. It's not like the engineers couldn't think of a way to make the car perform better, they just chose not to in order to attract a certain crowd in the car market. The 3 series for example is suppose to be a comfortable yet fun car with a balance of power and handling. To some people it's perfect, to others, they want to take away the comfortable part in return for better handling. Doesn't mean BMW didn't think about this when they made the car, they just knew not as many people would buy it.
This is why they market different versions of the car: 328i, 330i, M3, etc., but I agree that some people want to change it up, more power to them, so to speak. But you can't really make an M3 out of a 328i and save money over just buying the M3. You'll compromise too much and spend too much.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
Art Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by l djayr l View Post
i have an M3. no reason to mod it, its perfect off the show room.....but im a fanatic so i dump all my money into it and mod it anyways....modding FTW.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Define ///M3 View Post
Wow touchy subject...Personally i think someone is mentally retarded if they can look at the stock sedan bumper and be happy with it....it looks like Sh1t...SO MODDING FTW
Aesthetics are completely subjective. I'm sure there is someone out there who likes the E46 sedan bumper just the way it is.

I've always been a fan of OEM looking cars. If I modify my car, it should look like it was a factory option. My philosophy on modifying cars is that I only replace things that are broken. If there is a better part available from a third party manufacturer, such as a water pump or control arm, then I will purchase the better part in lieu of the OEM part, which may not last as long.

I'm an "E46fanatic" in that I love my E46, but my car is completely stock because I like the way that it looks.

However, I don't judge other people that modify their cars. It's their car, not mine. If they want to make it look like the Oscar Meyer wiener-mobile, then that's their choice.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
CBIRDave

My Ride: CB M3
Quote:
This is why they market different versions of the car: 328i, 330i, M3, etc., but I agree that some people want to change it up, more power to them, so to speak. But you can't really make an M3 out of a 328i and save money over just buying the M3. You'll compromise too much and spend too much.
very well said.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Freedman

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:

dkrab, well said. You explained it better than I. Sometimes there needs to be a reiteration of the fact that fanatic can apply to both a modder and someone who believes the car is fantastic as is and needs only to be meticulously maintained.
Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote