E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
i like this.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post
not sure if you said this, but when you put in the new boot, you have to make sure the "tab" slips in correctly. Hope that makes sense?

Great Write Up
i just popped it on so it was snug and wouldnt come off if i pulled it. it didnt matter where the tab was that is on the bottom of the boot if thats what you are talking about...

but this mod works, it got rid of an annoying whining sound when normally accelerating... but i still get a high pitched screech like a turbo that starts at 5500 rpm and gets louder the higher the RPM when im flooring it, people ask me if my car is turboed all the time lol, i just think its embarrassing . i have a vacuum leak somwhere else, i need to find out where it is, im thinking its the upper intake hose, the rubber is no longer that soft, its become dry and cracked so im thinking theres not a good enough seal behind the MAF.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
i just popped it on so it was snug and wouldnt come off if i pulled it. it didnt matter where the tab was that is on the bottom of the boot if thats what you are talking about...

but this mod works, it got rid of an annoying whining sound when normally accelerating... but i still get a high pitched screech like a turbo that starts at 5500 rpm and gets louder the higher the RPM when im flooring it, people ask me if my car is turboed all the time lol, i just think its embarrassing . i have a vacuum leak somwhere else, i need to find out where it is, im thinking its the upper intake hose, the rubber is no longer that soft, its become dry and cracked so im thinking theres not a good enough seal behind the MAF.
may not be another leak, i heard something about that whistling noise coming from something that pulls to use more torque? I could be completely wrong on this.
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #24
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post
may not be another leak, i heard something about that whistling noise coming from something that pulls to use more torque? I could be completely wrong on this.
never heard of anything like that...

Everyone thinks Ive got a turbo so idk...It annoys me though lol. I can take a video and show you. It just bothers me how I can't find the source

but the new intake boot made my car run much smoother no more rough idle.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 05-20-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #25
Redline

I did notice on the stock airbox there is a spring loaded valve kind of thing, it's a 2 inch wide circle of plastic with a spring behind it, and you can push it into the airbox, is this for when you don't have enough airflow?

///M
Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
Dgwapito

My Ride: 325ci
just wondering is this the same whistling noise you had? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=766313.. Thanks
Dgwapito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgwapito View Post
just wondering is this the same whistling noise you had? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=766313.. Thanks
im pretty sure that noise is not from the intake boot. That sounds horrible! Maybe something in your belts/pulleys? Definitely have that checked out. Hope everything works out
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #28
TEAMAFLCON

My Ride: 2003 325i
Great pictures!

Having one of these made it super easy........

Also, to get to the hard to reach areas I used..

Last edited by TEAMAFLCON; 07-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
TEAMAFLCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #29
sn0rky

My Ride: 330i
i changed the intake boot on my car too, but it is still the same think. it still has a whistle. anybody find a fix for this?
sn0rky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #30
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
I'd add one step...when the throttle body is exposed put an absorbant wrag below it, reach in and open the butterfly valve and spray a bunch of Deep Creep inside.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #31
jdunn1034

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Send a message via AIM to jdunn1034
I cut a whole in my air box a while ago and I cant remember if the whistle started after that or later on but it defiantly whistles now, more often at lower rpm's like when starting from a stopped position. is the whistle a leak or is it from the whole in my air box?

Last edited by jdunn1034; 09-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.
jdunn1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #32
ms328i

My Ride: 99 328i & 04 X5
Great write up!! Imma do this next after dropping my oil pan and radiator replaced three weeks ago this should be a piece of cake!
ms328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #33
Rick C.

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
Great post...thanks! Unforfunately, I was unable to get that smaller intake tube off the engine!! I worked like a dog just getting to that small clamp...got it loose...but the damn thing would not budge!! I did get to inspect it and lucky for me it seemed intact so I put everything back together and had a cold beer to ease my bruised ego. Great price for the intake tube from the good guys at Bavauto.com...$15.
Still getting a sometimes very loud whistle decelerating to a stop. Sounds a bit like a "cartoon bomb" dropping...anyone have any ideas? I have a 323i sedan with a 5spd.
Rick C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 08' 328i E92
nice writeup! Quick question though, on Tischer's site it's lists this part number for a 330. Is it the same for a 325?
StreetTrixE4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #35
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
any tips to loose the hard to reach clamp?
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #36
tfoxsf

Thanks for the great DIY. I just did it after work and completed a test drive to see if it solved my SES light. All is well again. I did however run into a problem I haven't seen yet on any DIYs. My upper intake boot has one plug on top (as noted in the DIY), but on that one plug, it splits into two parts. One is the thicker hose, one is a short thinner hose that connects to some sort of steel tube that goes under the engine.

The smaller one disintegrated when I touched it and I have no idea what it goes to. It did not affect the idle or performance during the test drive but I want to get a short piece of tubing to reconnect the hose. Any ideas what it might be used for? Makes me nervous.

See pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1048_01.jpg
Views:	1566
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	400260   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1049_01.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	400261  
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
yaegermike

My Ride: 330i 05
I am getting L&R bank lean codes causing my CEL to stay on. Seems as though many of you suggest this boot replacement could fix the problem. I am reading the MAF could also be bad which I have located in other threads. My question for this thread is this: Once the boot is replaced is there a sequence that must be done to reset the CES or will it shut off automatically once the issue is fixed? Or will i just have to have someone reset the computer?
yaegermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #38
flashcardsgo

My Ride: 2001 330cic
intake boot q

i just finished putting my 2001 330 ci back together , it was pretty straightfoward job witht the DIY info on here . i did have a particularly hard time with the screws on the clamp but now theyare turnrd properly and easy to reach for next time . I repalcedboth bootsand cleaned my throttle body and the iac that the small boot attatches to. My car was pulling 13 codes mostly lean bank and misfire codes ,i cleared the codes and so far no reapearence yet. the small hard plastic tube that attatches to the piece on top of the front intake tube broke on mine too ,not sure what this does but i plugged it with a small screw and so far no notice in performance or new codes
flashcardsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #39
tfoxsf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
Thanks for the great DIY. I just did it after work and completed a test drive to see if it solved my SES light. All is well again. I did however run into a problem I haven't seen yet on any DIYs. My upper intake boot has one plug on top (as noted in the DIY), but on that one plug, it splits into two parts. One is the thicker hose, one is a short thinner hose that connects to some sort of steel tube that goes under the engine.

The smaller one disintegrated when I touched it and I have no idea what it goes to. It did not affect the idle or performance during the test drive but I want to get a short piece of tubing to reconnect the hose. Any ideas what it might be used for? Makes me nervous.

See pics attached
Update: I ordered a coil of flexible vacuum hose from PelicanParts.com and cut a 4 inch section off. I then connected it to the bottom of the 'F' connector and then to the metal tube that is next to it (the tube then goes under the engine). Problem solved.
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #40
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
checked out this DIY halfway through the job, while I was trying to get the bottom hose clamp off. Removing that black heat shield made the install go smooth. Rather than fight with the top smaller hose I just loosened the clamp until it slid all the way back and put a small slice in it with a razor blade. The part it connects to seemed to delicate to pull on.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, diy, engine, intake, whistle