E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #21
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
Money shifts can happen while accelerating too...

And LOL at this thread.
You obviously haven't hit 88mph yet.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #22
schulmann

My Ride: BMW 330ci
So nobody really hit that speed with his 330ci ?!

To be ownest I was thinking about removing my side mirrors and wiper blades. Usually tires are not a big issue for a short burst run. A well balanced tire will stay stable at 60 mph and 200mph. I am more concerned about the wheels and tire size.

Suspension is not a big issue. It will just get 500lb more load. It should be able to handle it on a smooth surface.

My concern is how the 330ci handles at 170mph when I move the steering wheel 1/32 to avoid a bird ...

I have a 5sp tranny and an unlocked computer so at 6500rpm I should hit 160-170mph.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #23
nightdagger

My Ride: 2004 TiAg 325Ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Raceland.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #24
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
C'mon, guys - seriously - you're killing me over here.

Last edited by FTWeisse; 05-21-2010 at 01:05 PM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #25
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
i think most bmws would be stable at high speeds. e46s are made to easily cruise at 120mph.

what diff and trans do you have?

ive had my car up to 155mph, thats redlining 5th gear in a 2 mile straight.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulmann View Post
I have a 5sp tranny and an unlocked computer so at 6500rpm I should hit 160-170mph.
160mph is about the height of it with stock gearing and 6500-6600 redline. Your car will be fine at that speed as long as your tires are in good shape and inflated correctly. Mine felt fine at that speed and I only had sways at the time as far as suspension goes. Just make sure you give yourself room to slow down as it takes a WAY longer distance than from 60 or 100. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
rpl

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I went 170mph in my old DSM one night on the highway without even thinking about it. It was fine. ... Ah, my reckless youth.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
dinan Bimmer

My Ride: Turbo 350Z
Send a message via AIM to dinan Bimmer
I'd say it's pretty stable. I rode in Bluejeansonfire's 330ci and he did a 6th gear pull from 70 to we don't know how fast. Definitely past the 155 mark and it was very stable.
2004.5 350Z APS ST 475whp 505wtq Sold
dinan Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #29
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulmann View Post
My concern is how the 330ci handles at 170mph when I move the steering wheel 1/32 to avoid a bird ...
While I am fully aware of the damage that can be done if you hit a bird going 170 mph I don't think you should be attempting this if you're thinking about turning the wheel often at these speeds. Jerk the wheel to avoid a bird at 170 and we will be reading about you in some memorial thread.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
rpl

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkmann View Post
while i am fully aware of the damage that can be done if you hit a bird going 170 mph i don't think you should be attempting this if you're thinking about turning the wheel often at these speeds. Jerk the wheel to avoid a bird at 170 and we will be reading about you in some memorial thread.
qft.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #31
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWstudent View Post
Are you having your wheels balanced for higher speeds? Hitting resonence at 160mph would be terrible for your lugs and hubs.
While you're correct about the consequences of an imbalance, there's no such thing as balancing for a certain speed. A wheel/tire is either balanced or it's not, regardless of the speed. It's just a matter of having it done correctly and meticulously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
While I am fully aware of the damage that can be done if you hit a bird going 170 mph I don't think you should be attempting this if you're thinking about turning the wheel often at these speeds. Jerk the wheel to avoid a bird at 170 and we will be reading about you in some memorial thread.
Which part of him specifically stating he'd move the wheel 1/32 (3%) made you think he'd "jerk" the wheel?

If he's seriously considering this, his question is valid. He's looking for feedback from anyone else that's gone that fast in this body style. Did the car float? Did one end get light before the other? Did it feel darty and require a lot of input to keep it mostly straight?

Given that he's asking about the effects of such a small wheel movement makes it seem like he's acutely aware of the dangers involved in these speeds.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #32
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
A money shift and a blown tire at the same time would add insult to injury. I guess that would be the blown money shift.

I do have some high speed experience at Bonneville. I took a Ford Freestar out there and it was stable as can be. It maxed out at 105 mph and became really boring really fast. Then I decided to do some donuts. Just so you know, the salt flats have an amazing amount of grip and you can get a mini-van up on 2 wheels. In addition to that, I was completely lost and it took me about 30 minutes to find my way back. None of these problems had anything to do with that we (there were 5 of us in the van) were going from Sears Point to Miller (between two Grand-Am races) and we were.... let's say, having a good time doing some 12oz curls.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #33
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
A money shift and a blown tire at the same time would add insult to injury. I guess that would be the blown money shift.

I do have some high speed experience at Bonneville. I took a Ford Freestar out there and it was stable as can be. It maxed out at 105 mph and became really boring really fast. Then I decided to do some donuts. Just so you know, the salt flats have an amazing amount of grip and you can get a mini-van up on 2 wheels. In addition to that, I was completely lost and it took me about 30 minutes to find my way back. None of these problems had anything to do with that we (there were 5 of us in the van) were going from Sears Point to Miller (between two Grand-Am races) and we were.... let's say, having a good time doing some 12oz curls.
You should see how a minivan handles with 2 garbage can lids under the rear wheels, the parking brake on, and 13 people inside. A friendly reminder why crew chiefs always tell the newbies not to give the "drivers" the keys to rental vehicles.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #34
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
You should see how a minivan handles with 2 garbage can lids under the rear wheels, the parking brake on, and 13 people inside. A friendly reminder why crew chiefs always tell the newbies not to give the "drivers" the keys to rental vehicles.
I literally laughed out loud.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Which part of him specifically stating he'd move the wheel 1/32 (3%) made you think he'd "jerk" the wheel?

If he's seriously considering this, his question is valid. He's looking for feedback from anyone else that's gone that fast in this body style. Did the car float? Did one end get light before the other? Did it feel darty and require a lot of input to keep it mostly straight?

Given that he's asking about the effects of such a small wheel movement makes it seem like he's acutely aware of the dangers involved in these speeds.
Woah, easy there killer, lets calm down a bit. I never said his question wasn't valid. But lets make sure we are quoting him correctly before you go off on me again-

Quote:
Its the "avoid a bird" part that prompted my post. Moving the wheel 1/32 at 170 mph would not be enough to avoid a bird, the course correction would have to be much more significant, the results of which would not be good.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
The first thing to feel sketchy on my car is the rear end. Check RTAB and see how they feel at 120-130 first. The e46 non-M chassis is probably capable of 200+ with the right modifications.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #37
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
Woah, easy there killer, lets calm down a bit. I never said his question wasn't valid. But lets make sure we are quoting him correctly before you go off on me again-

Its the "avoid a bird" part that prompted my post. Moving the wheel 1/32 at 170 mph would not be enough to avoid a bird, the course correction would have to be much more significant, the results of which would not be good.
I'm perfectly calm, and didn't mean for you to think I was going off on you. Going off on you would have involved a completely different tone.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about how far away he is when he sees this hypothetical bird and whether it's standing still or moving when you say that moving the wheel 1/32 won't be enough to avoid it. If the bird or any other object is static and big enough to be visible from some distance away, a gentle and minor turn of the wheel may in fact be plenty to let the car move laterally to avoid the object. The yaw rate might be imperceptible, just enough to let the car wander toward one side of the centerline or the other before coming back on center on the other side of the object. He's doing this on a runway, which I'm assuming is pretty wide, so he's got some room to move around a bit.

None of that is relevant, though. My original point is that he never said anything about jerking the wheel, and the very fact that he's asking the question means he's aware that there's a limit to what he can and can't do as far as control inputs. So warning him about jerking the wheel would seem to serve little purpose.

What he wants to know is if anyone has any experience at 170ish in this body style so they can give him specific info about how the car will feel/handle/ride.

$0.02

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #38
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
I'm perfectly calm, and didn't mean for you to think I was going off on you. Going off on you would have involved a completely different tone.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about how far away he is when he sees this hypothetical bird and whether it's standing still or moving when you say that moving the wheel 1/32 won't be enough to avoid it. If the bird or any other object is static and big enough to be visible from some distance away, a gentle and minor turn of the wheel may in fact be plenty to let the car move laterally to avoid the object. The yaw rate might be imperceptible, just enough to let the car wander toward one side of the centerline or the other before coming back on center on the other side of the object. He's doing this on a runway, which I'm assuming is pretty wide, so he's got some room to move around a bit.

None of that is relevant, though. My original point is that he never said anything about jerking the wheel, and the very fact that he's asking the question means he's aware that there's a limit to what he can and can't do as far as control inputs. So warning him about jerking the wheel would seem to serve little purpose.

What he wants to know is if anyone has any experience at 170ish in this body style so they can give him specific info about how the car will feel/handle/ride.

$0.02
You are absolutely right.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i think he will be ok, tried running 170mph but my engine won't allow me, i only reached 135 mph
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #40
bimmerbum46

My Ride: sweet pair of Vans
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbum46

I did this on H&R sport springs, 19" wheels, M-tech kit (which doesnt really make a difference) and I even think I was missing my undertray. You will be fine.